Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Who Are We?

Who are you? Click all that apply...

• Female

Votes: 1,456 87.2%
  • Male

Votes: 152 9.1%

Votes: 141 8.4%

Votes: 295 17.7%

Votes: 742 44.5%

Votes: 396 23.7%

Votes: 75 4.5%
  • Live: US

Votes: 1,216 72.9%
  • Live: Canada

Votes: 138 8.3%
  • Live: UK

Votes: 140 8.4%
  • Live: Europe

Votes: 48 2.9%
  • Live: Asia

Votes: 9 0.5%
  • Live: Australia/NZ

Votes: 75 4.5%
  • Live: Other

Votes: 19 1.1%
  • Cavies: Planning on them

Votes: 163 9.8%
  • Cavies: Pet guardian

Votes: 1,262 75.6%
  • Cavies: Breed (intentionally have babies, once or repeatedly)

Votes: 21 1.3%
  • Cage: Planning on one that meets site minimums

Votes: 282 16.9%
  • Cage: Have cage that meets site minimums or more

Votes: 1,243 74.5%
  • Cage: Have a pet store or below minimum-size cage

Votes: 145 8.7%

• Total voters

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
I am just wondering why Australia and New Zealand are put together. I know we represent a small number of people (and I am trying to up this percentage by recommending your site to all guinea pig owners I know as well as encouraging the feed store to make people aware of it). But we are 2 seperate countries with a whole ocean seperating us. It's like putting Canada and USA together for a poll which I know you would never do! I love this site but this little detail is rather annoying.

Penny Lane

Cavy Slave
It's interesting that most of us are girls?

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave

Yeah yeah yeah rub it in! just kidding! nice being a small amount of men and all you ladies!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, a guaranteed place for men to meet women, in small animal forums/groups and ON THE DANCE FLOOR. If you can dance or you love small animals--mucho women (girls).

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Love almost all animals but can't dance except a slow dance

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Harrys Dad, there are plenty of us over 40 (I'm 60). It's just that we sit back and chuckle while the "kids" hassle it out.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Harrys Dad, there are plenty of us over 40 (I'm 60). It's just that we sit back and chuckle while the "kids" hassle it out.

Ah ok well I am going to sit here and hassle the kids then!

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
Good variety of ages :)

Bennalaya

Cavy Slave

It is interesting, and I think a lot of it has to do with socially constructed gender roles. Women are supposed to be the caretakers, the nurturers. Men are supposed to pretend to be emotionally detached from the whole thing. Every time I go off on a tangent about animal cruelty my husband usually has to crack some sort of joke. I'll vent to my mother about it and she always says, "they have to pretend. They like to make jokes about the animals, but if they ever accidentally killed one they'd be sad."

My dad is like that. Every time I talk about the cavies he'll make some joke about "the nasty, furry rats". But then sometimes you'll sneak up on him when he thinks he is alone and he'll be loving on the dogs or cats and baby talking them. It's quite hilarious, actually.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
My older brother is like that (He's a teenager). Whenever I mention the pigs he'll make some sick joke (he is a boy) and walk away. But one day I walked up to my room and he was feeding them a bit of carrot and baby-talking them. lol Hilarious! He never did forget that...
Hey, the dudes are a pretty large minority here, aren't they? (Just wanted to rub it in a little, sorry guys). But, as a younger member, any guy who loves his animals is damn hot my my opinion. :)

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Dra&Pigs you just made my year thank you :crazy:

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
My two piggies are in a 2X5 C&C cage with a 2X 1.5 upper deck. I am a 23 year old female. (But my 25 year old husband talks to the piggies when no one is looking!!! LOL)

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Hope you don't mint, but I voted for my husband too. And yes, he shows love to our kids without hiding, but doesn't forget to mention and joke that the kids get more attention and that's why they love mommy. Jealousy convinced him to give more care to the kids, not just helping me change them, or give a carrot once in a while. He wants to be more loved by the kids, and he baby sits while I upgrade the cage, and pampers them, and gives them more treats so and so. He is melted for sure!

ColoradoMama

Cavy Slave
I'm a little shocked that 17 people admitted to being breeders! You would think that people would lie about that, I'm shocked they would volunteer that information.

But on a lighter note... the ladies are takin' over!!!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
It is interesting, and I think a lot of it has to do with socially constructed gender roles. Women are supposed to be the caretakers, the nurturers. Men are supposed to pretend to be emotionally detached from the whole thing. Every time I go off on a tangent about animal cruelty my husband usually has to crack some sort of joke. I'll vent to my mother about it and she always says, "they have to pretend. They like to make jokes about the animals, but if they ever accidentally killed one they'd be sad."

My dad is like that. Every time I talk about the cavies he'll make some joke about "the nasty, furry rats". But then sometimes you'll sneak up on him when he thinks he is alone and he'll be loving on the dogs or cats and baby talking them. It's quite hilarious, actually.

My dad and brothers are a lot like that. Though, my dad doesn't try to hide it when he cuddles with the cats. ;)

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
HarrysDad-I have a tendency to do that. :)

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
I'm not surprised most are females either. I bet you 80% of those people who voted 18-29 are females in college.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Hehe I'm one of 89 guys that go to this site! I love that most people have a big cage for their guinea pig(s)!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Hope you don't mint, but I voted for my husband too. And yes, he shows love to our kids without hiding, but doesn't forget to mention and joke that the kids get more attention and that's why they love mommy. Jealousy convinced him to give more care to the kids, not just helping me change them, or give a carrot once in a while. He wants to be more loved by the kids, and he baby sits while I upgrade the cage, and pampers them, and gives them more treats so and so. He is melted for sure!

My husband doesn't hold the pigs very often, but he always stands at the cage and talks to them, pets them when I have them or they're in their cage, feeds them their veggies in the morning, makes funny noises at them, and yes, wheeks back at them!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
My husband doesn't hold the pigs very often, but he always stands at the cage and talks to them, pets them when I have them or they're in their cage, feeds them their veggies in the morning, makes funny noises at them, and yes, wheeks back at them!

My boyfriend is the same. But it drives me nuts because he will give her either her morning carrot OR her morning lettuce mix. Never both. Never really understood that phenomenon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.