Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm New...Please Be Gentle! *wheek wheek*

FYI...This post is also in the "About Me" section...also on my blog before I figured out how to post a thread! So here it goes...

My husband and I adopted two boys on March 1, 2013. We were told they were about four wheeks old and named them Ricky Bobby (American) and Spike (brown Abyssinian). All Ricky Bobby wanted to do when we got him home (currently in an apartment, moving to a house 5/18/2013) was run around and FAST. For all of you who have seen Talladega Nights, you know who I'm talking about. Spike is an Abyssinian...enough said. RB was definitely the dominant one as he would mount Spike on a regular basis. Spike never let it go on for more than a second or two and we just got a kick out of it because he just wasn't having any of it.

They both got along great over the first wheekend home when all of a sudden one night we heard a loud shriek and both of us went running toward their cage (cage from a pet store...had it for 72 hours...built a C&C cage!!). Both of them looked fine and were both huddled under the ramp so we really didn't think anything of it.

On 3/4/13 I headed into a couple stores go grab some grids, coroplast, fleece and storage bins. I bought enough grids to make a 2x3 cage with storage underneath (that’s all that would fit into our apartment…I’m expanding their cage to a 2x4 or 2x5 when we are in our house) and a play pen ! All I did was zip tie a bunch of grids together and it just unfolds into a big circle or square or whatever! It folds up in less than 30 seconds too…totally love floor time with my boys. Saw popcorning for the first time in my life and it made both my husband and I giggle like little kids. So cute.

On Thursday 3/7/2013, Ricky's brown leg (right rear leg…his left is white…so cute!) seemed to be giving him trouble. I noticed it one night during lap time and being the emotional person I am, all I could do was cry...just felt so bad for him. After my hysterical-overprotective-mother moment, I called up a very reputable vet and got him in the next afternoon. Mr. Vet did an X-ray on Ricky and thank goodness it wasn't broken. His little leg was swollen and warm to the touch so he diagnosed it as a minor infection and put him on, I believe it was Baytril...? twice a day for two wheeks. This is when it hit us…I wonder if that shriek we heard was RB maybe getting bit by Spike…? Anyway, during this time, it seemed as if Spike was trying to become the dominant one when he tried mounting RB while he was trying to heal. I separated them during the day and night but let them hang out with each other when I got home from work up until bedtime (about 7 hours) so I could keep an eye on them. RB was starting to walk on both legs by 3/15/2013 and was getting back to his normal self!! YAY!

Mr. Vet’s office is open on Saturdays (!!!) so I took the boys in on 3/30/2013 to have their nails clipped before meeting the whole family during the Easter weekend. We now call Mr. Vet’s office “The Spa” when they go in to get their “MANicures”! Haha..get it…since they’re boys! Anyway, RB was pretty scared…he cried and squirmed around so much while Spike was a little more relaxed. All in all, it was a pretty good vet visit. They only charged $32 for both of them, reasonably priced if you ask me.

Everything has been pretty good since RB’s brow leg incident….RB has gone back to trying to mount Spike, Spike turning him down while yet still trying to mount RB, they love their fleece, floor time, lap time and their veggies! Ohmygosh do they love their veggies. Pretty sure cucumbers are their favorite right in front of green peppers. Parsley is definitely ranked right up there but I limit it to one sprig per day since it could potentially lead to health issues.

About one wheek ago, I noticed a little black spot on RB’s white leg and thought maybe it was a little poo and it would just fall off by morning. Next morning, it was still there and then I thought maybe it was a cute little mole or birthmark. *Pics attached...maybe....I don't know if they will work as this is my first post* So last night, 4/17/2013 I started looking around online and now I think it’s DUN DUN DUNNNNN the dreaded bumblefoot! The black spot is barely raised, there is no open wound or blood that I can see and he doesn’t seem to be in pain (but we all know they are notorious for hiding their wheekness). The skin around the spot did look a little dry after I cleaned his poop-shoes off. They do pretty well with getting their poop-shoes cleaned…I just put a towel or washcloth in a large heavy bowl and put just enough warm water in to submerge their feet. The towel acts as a scrubber as well as traction so they don’t slide around in the water. Works better than a cup and toothbrush which is what I tried first ! So RB is at the vet, as I type this, to have his spot looked at. Keep in mind, this is his white leg…his brown leg was the one with the infection. We love our two boys and just would hate to see anything bad happen to them. Still waiting for a call from the vet…it’s almost 4:00pm 4/18/2013 and he was taken in around 1:00pm by my loving husband, Brandon. I’m planning on posting this, then going to get him. I will try to remember to update this about what the vet says.

Got home from the vet awhile ago and he said it just looked like a little callus and to "keep an eye on it." Not what I really wanted to hear. The whole time he was explaining to me I was thinking, well isn't that what bumblefoot is...a callus? He asked if I had them on a hard surface and I said yes but it's padded with a layer of fleece on top (broke down and spent the $ on a Piggy Bedspread...changed my life!!). Then I got to thinking that isn't it wire cages that cause bf? Idk...maybe I haven't done enough research on it...so I just tucked my tail between my legs, smiled and left. I told myself he's the vet he knows what he's talking about. Everyone who reads this please say a little (or big) prayer for my guy as I've heard bf is extremely painful and could mean eventual amputation or even death.

Hello, my name is Kiley and I am a guinea pig slave
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

Re: I'm New...Please Be Gentle! *wheek wheek*

Well hello!

What a story! Love the names!

Only $32 for both! At my vet, it's $50 each just for the office visit!

So glad you decided to build a C&C cage! They are such a great idea, for a lot of reasons.

Finally, it doesn't look like bumblefoot in the pictures. It looks more like just a birthmark or a simple discoloration. Bumblefoot is scaley and thick. But I'm just going by the pictures.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see pics of the little ones!

3. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi there! Sometimes I tend to ramble (well.....let's be honest, it's more like bragging) about my guys but we don't have kids yet so who else can I brag about, right?!

I also have to admit that just reading your paragraph about bumblefoot took a weight off my shoulders. We will continue to monitor it and hope for the best! Positive thoughts are sometimes hard to come by when a pet is (or when you think he is) sick or hurt. Just want nothing but the best for these two...they have pretty much stolen our hearts!!

Pics are coming within the next few hours...washing their bedspread as we speak...having floor time now!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

Hello and welcome! You sound like you know your stuff! Your boys sounds super cute! And Ricky Bobby… best name ever.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pics are up in The Best of Ricky Bobby & Spike! More to come, obviously!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

Yay! I must see these babes for myself!

User Tag List