Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Broken tooth....Vet trip?

Hi!

My pig, Mozza, had over grown teeth,so we toke a closer look at what he really was eating,and found out he wasn't getting enough hay.We have since then got him eating more. :)

But,tonight I looked at his teeth again,they were getting a little shorter,and one of his bottom teeth was half the size that it was before! I knew he wasn`t in pain and there was no blood but I'm thinking,should I bring him back to the Vet and get his other clipped down to size or should I just chop his veggies small and let him grind it down himself?

I would love to hear some advise!

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Re: Broken tooth....Vet trip?

If there isn't any bleeding, pain if u touch it, or puss or something like that I would say a vet trip is unnecessary. Does he have chew toys? Also how big of a difference are we talking here? Does it look ragged or sharp? If so you might want to go to the vet. Hope this helped! :)

3. "Thank you, meggymoomoo, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

I know piggy teeth grow very fast so as long as there isn't any pain/visual leakage, you should be good for now. :D

5. "Thank you, YourSoJelly, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,226 Rec'd/5,756 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3799 Post(s)

Take a look at this: http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html. Broken teeth aren't usually too much of a problem unless they are the result of some disease process in the gums.

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

We just took our Butters in to have her teeth clipped because one on top and one on bottom were chipped. She had had a kids crafting bead stuck on her tooth right before we took her in(that's how my vet met her and asked us if we could take her in). So due to the fact that she has had teeth problems in the past I thought it would be wise to take her in just in case it was going to mess up her bite in the future. She was eating just fine though.

8. "Thank you, Hhbean, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meggymoomoo View Post
    If there isn't any bleeding, pain if u touch it, or puss or something like that I would say a vet trip is unnecessary. Does he have chew toys? Also how big of a difference are we talking here? Does it look ragged or sharp? If so you might want to go to the vet. Hope this helped! :)
    Yes it is sharp,and it is about half the size.He is going to the Vet tomorrow because when I weighted him he had definitely lost some weight.... :( But! Of course,we fed him lots and lots,but we had to soften him food and mush up even his banana..,and yes he also has chew toys! :)

Thanks so much! Any advice is welcome!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Take a look at this: http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html. Broken teeth aren't usually too much of a problem unless they are the result of some disease process in the gums.
    Thanks! And here is part of what it that is happening with my little guy: "Watch to make sure the remaining teeth do not get so long that they touch the gums or skin of the mouth." His one tooth that is left that (above) is happening and his other is back down to its normal size. Yippy for that!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hey! I brought my Mozza to a new vet on Friday,he was experenced with Pigs. It turned out Mozza had: an abscess,a spur,and a large infection all on his right side of his mouth!! How our other vet missed all that when we brought him in? Good question! But the fact is,he is eating hay so much better,his tooth is back to normal, and my little guy is not hunched! (He has been for a while,brought him to the vet,no result til the new one!) We have him one antibiotics. Just wondering,is Chlor Palm an ok anti? Thanks for all the help!!

User Tag List