Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to my 'CURRENT' guinea piggery!!

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Re: Welcome to my 'CURRENT' guinea piggery!!

now I can watch it thxs
    AWESOME CAGE how many piggies do you have?

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    I just ordered from the store and their loft will be the Piggy Party Patio but I plan to put the ramp in the center so they can run laps around it. That loft will be their kitchen, which frees up the space on the bottom. I will connect that to a narrow loft for a bedroom, connecting with a ramp and slightly higher. The kitchen will use the wonder bars and set up about half a grid or so higher, to bedroom will go to the base of the second grid so none of the climbs are too high. I may even see how a 2x 5 works because right now its a 2x4. It's at the point I am thinking about getting rid of the dinning room table and putting like a breakfast nook type table there to have more room. Piggies are not a cheap pet! LOL
    Sounds great! I have done a kitchen loft and halfway under that a narrow loft "bedroom" too, kind of like a bunk bed that is 2 grids wide and 1/2 a grid deep (bent grids), my guys love it and have no trouble leaping on to it My ramp is a side one but have built it so there is a tunnel under it for my zoomie room still and they like to use that for napping too . You are so right about them not being cheap pets.. also we have to become seamstresses and architects for our piggies LOL!

Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Actually, the square footage is NOT 15 (3 multiplied by 5), because each grid is longer than a foot - each grid is 14 inches, not 12. I calculated it in the past, and it's right about (a little over) 20 sq feet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

@GuineaLoveer I have 3 beautiful boys in there - well 2 and a half a Dexter is still a baby xx

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

lucky !!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rach84 View Post
    I have 3 beautiful boys in there - well 2 and a half a Dexter is still a baby xx
    It's such a lovely, well thought out cage, I am sure my boys would love that too!

Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Thanks guys xx I am always trying to think up ways of makin it better for them xx

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yup, around 20.4167 (.41666666 repeating...xD)**, assuming 14" grids zip tied together, no connectors. If using connectors, that adds .25 inch* between each grid (roughly), so {(3*14+2*.25)*(5*14 + 5*.25)}/144, so 21.02 someodd if using connectors. Hey, half a square foot is half a square foot =P

*My grids and connectors come out closer to 3/8", not 1/4", dunno if all grid connectors are the same or not..
    **on a conversion note, 3*5=15, giving 15 square grids, *(14*14)/(12*12) -- that is, square inches/grid * square feet/square inches, for a conversion factor of 1.361111 square feet per grid, 15*1.36111 gives the 20.4167 square feet, again assuming no connectors. From what I've seen, connectors were used. So heck yea gaining an extra .6 square feet. Side note, if assuming 3/8" gap, the square footage comes to 21.34 sqft, a gain of .92 square feet by simply using connectors!

Also worth noting, these calculations assume a vinyl/shower curtain lining, not coroplast, as coroplast boxes need to go "inside" the connector edges...unless you're OCD like me and hacksaw the inside corners out to gain the extra footage @[email protected]

Pardon repeating what others have said..It's 3:30am, I'm studying engineering, so something like this is fun-ish. Better than thermofluid mechanics at least, and I have a soft spot for conversion factors and seeing the impact small changes have on outcome xD PS, your piggies are adorable!I wish I had enough space/armreach to do a x3 =) dig the way yours is set up!as for expanding, you could do 3x6, with two 3x2 lofts on the sides?Honestly, I'm horrible with lofts x.x my cage is a 2x4 with a 2x2 extension (2x6 bent into an L), and my loft is a 3x1+1x1 L that goes over the back. Far from perfect. Ideally I wanna do a 2x2 loft over the "corner", 'cause I love symmetry, but obvious structural problems that'd need two support beams xD

User Tag List