Thanks
    Thanks
    71 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Re: Cyber bullying: A letter to my little sister's bully

The "dear bully" blog post is meant from a specific situation but it speaks to a broader issue. It's modeled after John Kinnear's "Dear Hypothetical Gay Son" blog post. I think that pushing for legislative change is incredibly important but socially we're not there yet. I believe, truly, that socially motivating the younger generation revolves heavily on accessing them through social media.

Power comes from positive reinforcement - this post has been shared and distributed with overwhelming support against bullying. I do see where you're coming from I feel like the way we initiate and push for change is incredibly different - however neither is incorrect.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KaileighRussell View Post
    The "dear bully" blog post is meant from a specific situation but it speaks to a broader issue. It's modeled after John Kinnear's "Dear Hypothetical Gay Son" blog post. I think that pushing for legislative change is incredibly important but socially we're not there yet. I believe, truly, that socially motivating the younger generation revolves heavily on accessing them through social media.

Power comes from positive reinforcement - this post has been shared and distributed with overwhelming support against bullying. I do see where you're coming from I feel like the way we initiate and push for change is incredibly different - however neither is incorrect.
    It's an incredibly emotional issue. I understand what she's going through and I hope things get better for her.

3. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

I have to say this thread has made me appreciate my daughter's school more (they've been on my naughty list since last year for other stuff). No place is perfect, but they really do try to take a zero tolerance attitude towards bullying. My oldest is in middle school and there have been kids who have tried to bully others. The school has had the police there and has communicated well with the parents.

I hope things change for the positive in your situation. It is really hard to always know the right thing to say or do to get someone off your back. I hear @pinky 's words of caution; I also feel that bullies need to learn their behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated - before it really does get so out of hand that someone gets hurt or worse.

User Tag List