Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Question Nibbling/Biting

So I have a lovely little piggie called Meg who is now about 3 months old, we've had her for just over 3 weeks now. She is an adorable girl and quite a character, she likes climbing everything (which is not usual for a cavie?) talks constantly unless she is sleeping and is very curious about everything. She is very well behaved and is litter trained already (mostly), I have spent a lot of time with her and talking to her trying to get her used to me. Obviously like most piggies (especially young ones?) she isn't fond of being picked up but she is now at the point where she is happy for me to put my hand in the cage and give her a tickle behind the ears or on the nose - no running and jumping. However she has a bit of an annoying habit which I am wondering is just a juvenile thing... she likes to nibble my fingers. I make sure they don't smell of food and I pull my fingers away when she gets too close but I don't want to be too nervous of her and jump every time she noses me. She seems to rub her nose on everything that she knows is hers or what she wants to claim (along with rubbing her bottom on the ground on her things) and she does that to me and my hand which is very sweet but if I don't pull my fingers away she will nibble them, not massively hard i.e. not breaking the skin but hard enough to make me jump and want to pull my hand away. She also bites down on my jumpers/tops when I have hold of her pretty hard and although she's never bitten my skin or even tried to, the hardness of the bite she does on fabric makes me nervous.

Anyone have any reassurance that this is an adolescent thing or is she likely always to be a bit nibbly?

p.s. before people worry I didn't get a single cavie, she was bought at a pair and very sadly our other little girl was put to sleep just over a week ago. I now have two more little cavies waiting to be her play mates but are in quarantine while they are being treated for ringworm. I am dying to get them introduced but it'll be a couple of weeks yet as I want to make sure there's no chance of cross infection!!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Re: Nibbling/Biting

My pig did that when she was littler but has stopped now. I dont know if thats the same for you

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

The talking she does one of my girls do that since she was 2 months old and never stopped, So prepare for a talking piggy in your ears when you hold her! And when she drags her bum, she's scent marking( you probably know that)Oh the classic nibble piggy, I stopped one of my girls from doing that from gently tapping their nose, Its kind of like telling them "That's a no-no" She eventually learned that shes not suppost to do that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

You can also blow a little bit of air in their face and say no. I adopted a piggy who was considered "special needs" because she kisses with teeth so they didn't want her to go to a family with younger children. She hasn't really tried to nibble me at all, but when she does I either give her nose a little tap or blow a small puff of air in her face and say no and she stops.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

My piggies were 11 months old when I got them. And yes 1 of them did that a lot for a spell. She's just checking to see if it is food. After a while she remembered this is my hand and now very rarely does it again.+ Reply to Thread

Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Mine all went through a bit of a nibbling phase when they were younger, and so far three of them just kinda stopped after they got to be a year old or so. Our youngest one is still only a few months old and she's a bit nibbly, but I assume she'll grow out of it in time as well.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Only one of my piggies was ever a biter and he still is! Bird is very curious and sniffs everything but always chomps on me when I'm holding him, petting him, or any reason really. I was hoping he'd grow out of it since he did it when he was little but he is 7 months old now and has shown no sign of stopping biting. I just try not to keep my hand near his face but otherwise I'm pretty used to it. He's not upset when he bites so theres nothing I can think that'd be bothering him, he just does it and I got used to it. Hurts though!

One time I was holding him under my chin, his favorite spot to sit and he started whining that he wanted to go back in his cage, but I ignored him because I was enjoying holding him. Well quickly he turned around and bit onto my nose ring and gave it a good yank! It hurt so bad! Sometimes I think hes a little slow (partly due to his odd behavior, also he is very inbred) but then he will pull something like that and I realize he may not be slow, but just evil !

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I have two four month old girls and one of them nibbles me when I hold her. It dosent hurt but its not very nice. I think she does it because she is checking for food and because she bites everything!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for all the replies!! I will try giving a little blow of air she does respond very well to my voice, if I say "no" in a slightly more stern voice (not raising my voice at all so not scary) she knows it's not a good thing to do.. I have done that when she is being overly adventurous on the sofa and she will either stop what she's doing or turn right around and do an innocent "I wasn't doing anything mummy" look .

Her favorite place to sit is either on my shoulder or on my chest with her head snuggled under my chin but I find it really hard to relax with her head right next to my neck as she continually rubs her nose and head on my neck and chin and I'm just a bit worried she'll have a curious nibble... It wouldn't be the worst thing if she did as she doesn't bite hard on skin but I am a bit paranoid :P.

and yes @MummyOf5Piggies I think (and hope) she will be a chatterer for good.. I LOVE her little noises and chattering.. she is so excitable about many things.. particularly hay which causes very loud high pitched wheeking but she talks all the time when she's near me or my husband and when she's on the sofa or having floor time, although if I leave the room she will start squeaking very loudly until I go back to her and then she stops squealing and just talks

User Tag List