Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Awesome video on how to clean the Anal Sac

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
She said in the video water and any thing else would hurt the pig and mineral oil is a lubricant so it's safe to use. Baby oil has fragrance in it, just purchase mineral oil.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Okay I bought some mineral oil today and I cleaned him up. That was probably the nastiest thing I've ever done in my life, but I'll do it for Chewy anyway. I snapped a picture of his privates to get a second opinion on his gender since he doesn't have any testicles that I can see or feel. This quality is pretty poor, but it's the best I can do right now. I think you should be able to click this to see a bigger picture... if not let me know and I'll try to get another tomorrow. ( I think the fact that he's got more than one color down there might make it a little difficult to see, too)
picture036.jpg

Attachments

picture033.jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I don't think females have anal sacs? Looks like my boar but without his (rather obvious) testicles.

kirt15

Cavy Slave
When cleaning how far/deep should you go in? I'm finding it difficult to tell whether or not there is stuff stuck in there or whether it is the inside of him and I don't want to scrape or pull it out with the cotton tip if it isn't, is there anyway to tell?

Guys I know how you all feel it is not fun and my boys hate it too. But boys will boys. :)

Peanut7

Cavy Slave
Do you guys have any favorite brands of mineral oils to recommend? Got my piggie just yesterday, male, about 6 months old, trying to get as much informed as I can, so I can provide him a happy long life :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mineral oil is mineral oil is mineral oil. I don't think the brand matters much. What matters more is how viscous it is. You want the lightest oil possible, not a thick one.

Peanut7

Cavy Slave
I got a 'kroger' mineral oil. Looks pretty clear and liquidy. Cleaned my piggie yesterday, it was very difficult , he doesnt like showing his belly. I didnt get much dirt on a q-tip and it didn't smell at all. Maybe cause he is still young, only 6 months old.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He may not need to be cleaned yet. You should check him once a week, including the sheath of his penis. If he's ok, let him be, and only clean if he needs it.

Peanut7

Cavy Slave
Do you have any advice on how to make that less torturing for him? I tried with a carrot , it distracts him for like 2 seconds and then he turns on his feet again. He doesn't wanna sit like that one on the video, only if I hold him on his back somehow.

Peanut7

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, I saw that one, and tried it, actually I think that was the way I did it and saw it doesnt have anything on the q-tip so I let him go. I will probably gonna do that from now on, cause he kinda get calmer when I roll him up in a small towel. Im just kinda scared that Im going to hurt him like that :/ Thanks for all advises!

guineapig3583

Cavy Slave
how do you post videos?

SherwoodPigs

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say thank you for this thread - it made this process so much less stressful (on both of us I think) - we greatly appreciate it!!

stephandcorey

Cavy Slave
How often do we need to do this? I have never done it...

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
Thank you for posting this thread and video! I just adopted my first boy guinea pig and this information makes me feel better prepared to take care of him as best possible. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@stephandcorey, you need to check at least once a week, and clean as often as necessary. As your boar ages, or if you house him on wood shavings or something like carefresh, you may need to check more often.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
@canadiancomforts could you use extra virgin coconut oil or something maybe a little easier to find in the cupboards

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
@CanadianComforts sorry :) the above post was meant for you :)

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Felix looks nothing like that when I clean him! He squirms and throws a fit.
Img! Our piggies have the same name! I thought I was weird for calling my Piggie Felix as that is what you may call a cat! LOL!

TheDNDWizard

Cavy Slave
Can you use coconut oil?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.