Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Awesome video on how to clean the Anal Sac

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I am wondering if that is what is up with my Henry. His parts seem to be swollen around his anus? I don't know if this is normal? He doesn't seem impacted because he is definitely passing poop. I will post a pic if I need to. I have not done a clean of the boys, since I've only had them for three weeks. How early should it be started? I did notice that Niko had some hay stuck in his sheath, so I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to do a cleaning. Is this also called a boar cleaning? Just wondering if they are the same thing as I'm new to all this!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@aspecht, you don't need to clean them until they need it, but you do need to check regularly to see if they need cleaning and to make sure nothing is stuck in the sheath around the penis. How often they need cleaning depends on their age (older, unneutered boars are more prone to impaction) and what they're bedded on -- pigs on fleece don't get as much stuff stuck in their sacs as pigs on shavings or other loose bedding.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
They are on fleece, with shavings in their litter boxes. I use Carefresh Shavings Plus or Carefresh Natural.

jbr piggie

Cavy Slave
Where could I find mineral oil?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Great Video! I noticed that with my male a few times that he had hay stuck in his anal sac, so i would pull it out and usually it was followed by poop. I will try this tomorrow!

Marye

Cavy Slave
Glad I found this! I had no idea! The boys are sure in for it tomorrow. They are not going to be happy with me. It's still kind of early I may go get some mineral oil tonight. Sorry boys, it needs to be done. Hopefully they start to tolerate it as much as yours did. He was quite well behaved!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I checked one of my boys and his lil hiney Hole does need cleaned but I tried checking my other boy and he bit me.... Which he keeps doing to me lately and I don't know why?! My moms boy wouldn't let me get him out of his cage he ony lets her.....

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Do you HAVE to do this? I've had pigs and never have done this before... It seems uncomfortable.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Also, my pigs don't like when I hold them like that, any tips?

korryn92

Cavy Slave
I know this is an old thread but I figured since it is a sticky that I could post a question about cleaning the anal sac in here.

If I can't find mineral oil at the store for some reason would baby oil or KY jelly work alright?

If not I can find mineral oil online I'm sure but I just want to know please

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Omg I've never heard of this and I have 2 boars. I've only had them for 2 weeks. One is a couple months old one is about a year old. From my research after learning this, you only have to start anal cleansing at around a year old right? Do you ever NOT have to do it, even in older boars?

This video was super helpful btw for when I do have to start doing it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some boars need to be cleaned often, others almost never. Part of it depends on the boar, part of it on what kind of bedding they're on. Young boars don't usually need cleaning, but all boars should be checked once a week to make sure there's nothing stuck up in the sheath of the penis or in the anal sack. If you check and they're clean, you're good to go.

nakedwheekers

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness!! I'm sure my boys need this, but I just got them and they don't trust me much at all right now. Might work up to it a bit. I would LOVE some tips on training them to lie on their backs like that! I tried to hold mine that way to get a look at their feet (one has red, sore feet...I think either healing bumblefeet or just sore from living in small cage with lots of urine). They both THRASHED wildly, almost out of my arms. I ended up doing a piggy burrito with a towel to get a good look, just at their feet! I can't imagine what they would do if I tried to get to their bum!!

So training tips would be great. :) Wish I was closer to you and I would pay you a fortune to do it for me. :)

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness!! I'm sure my boys need this, but I just got them and they don't trust me much at all right now. Might work up to it a bit. I would LOVE some tips on training them to lie on their backs like that! I tried to hold mine that way to get a look at their feet (one has red, sore feet...I think either healing bumblefeet or just sore from living in small cage with lots of urine). They both THRASHED wildly, almost out of my arms. I ended up doing a piggy burrito with a towel to get a good look, just at their feet! I can't imagine what they would do if I tried to get to their bum!!

So training tips would be great. :) Wish I was closer to you and I would pay you a fortune to do it for me. :)

I am in no way a pro... I very new to piggies in fact.

I just did a cleaning on my older boar. He needed it. He is a year old and never had it before I'm sure. He was not impressed at all bit the thrashing want a huge problem for me. But I didn't just take him out of his cage. I'd been cuddling with him for a couple minutes and I think that calmed him. Maybe try holding him before you do it?

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Oh wow. I'm a new guinea pig owner so I had no idea what I was getting myself in to lol. I have so many questions now. First, when do a guinea pig's testicles drop? I have no idea how old my Chewy is, but I see nothing that indicates testicles. I kinda wonder if he's fixed now, but I don't think the horrible owners that had Chewy before me would have spent the money to do it. Second, this sucks because Chewy needs this done baad. He's yucky down there. I've been cleaning him up a little with a rag and water but I didn't realize that all of this was necessary. Do you think I should wait until his poop is normal before I attempt this or would it be okay (and just nastier) to do while his poop is mushy and not quite solid?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should go ahead and clean him.

How old is Chewy? Usually, neutered males don't have problems with impaction. But testicles should be visible at a few weeks of age, although they can be much smaller in some pigs than in others. Are you sure he's a male? If you have any question about it, you can post a picture and we'll offer opinions.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
I have no idea how old he is. I found him in my front yard about 2 weeks ago and I've been trying to help him get healthy ever since. I'm pretty positive he's a male. I've googled pictures to make sure but before I ever looked online I was pretty sure I was looking at a guinea penis lol. He doesn't look very old. He's a lot smaller than the guinea pigs I had when I was younger. Idk if that's because of his age or if he's just malnourished though. But there's no testicles that I can find in the area. I am definitely getting some mineral oil today to try and clean him up. I'll also have my boyfriend help me take a picture later. I can't do it myself because Chewy hates lying on his back lol.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Would it be okay to use baby oil or a normal water based lubricant instead of mineral oil? If not I'm going to get some mineral oil, just curious :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.