Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Worried mum found some scaly skin on her boy this morning

ViskyCat

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have noticed for a while that he seems bothered when I scratch his back, but I couldn't see any abnormalities in his fur until this morning. He has white flakes in the bottom of his fur on his back, and in his ears but nowhere else. I have recently switched from fleece to wood shavings and then back again, and have recently stopped bathing him since it makes him extremely stressed. That was about two months ago. His weight is stable and I have not noticed anything unusual about his behaviour. I took som high-res pictures. I hope you guys can help me out, any thoughts on what this might be? I was thinking mites or maybe even fungus, but he's not itchy at all. In other words I'm pretty much clueless. Any thought is appreciated.

DSCN3081.jpgDSCN3085.jpg

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It could be dandruff. Gorgeous Guineas makes some nice melts that help with dry skin.
(broken link removed)

ViskyCat

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Yaay they ship to Sweden! Thanks for the tip, there's a lot of other greart stuff on their website too.

ViskyCat

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Btw... Why do guinea pigs get dandruff? Same as humans?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Btw... Why do guinea pigs get dandruff? Same as humans?

Yeah, the same reasons humans do. Their skin can get flaky, especially when the weather is dry.

If you notice it getting worse, and your pig getting very itchy and loosing hair, you may want to treat for parasites/fungus.

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
yeah my piggy has dandruff, confirmed by a vet

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would treat for mites. The fact that he is bothered when you scratch his back is a sign of a mite infestation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.