Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Kaytee Rabbit Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
I have given up space and as they get bigger so will their space. i can't just throw my dining room and living room out the window.
and also i know animals depend on us im not new at this. i've owned fish, birds, dogs, cats, ferret, rabbit and gerbils, turtle snake and my sister had a guinea pig when she was younger.

Last edited:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I think this has gotten way out of hand, and I think half of this thread should be moved so the OP can have the thread back.

nibnskip, a 2x4 C&C cage would be 30"x60", 7" wider & 13" longer than your current cage, do you think you can re-arrange a few things to fit it in?
You can replace your current table with a cage stand for great storage, but an alternative cage would work as well. Otherwise a 2x3 would be better than your current cage (30"x44"). The cage store list the inside measurements as well if you're interested. Your current cage can be used as a transport cage, kitchen area, hospital cage or sold.

I think this conversation is going nowhere & is doing more harm than good.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just realized the end table you have....is it one of those tables where you can remove the tiles? 4 big tiles in the center and smaller ones around the edge? I have two of those. If you have atleast two, put them together, buy yourself some cubes($20), get a shower curtain or cut n score a table mat into a tray and you can make an appropriately sized cage for super cheap.

Don't pull the "I think I've sacrificed enough" line. When you have animals, you never stop sacrificing for them. My dogs are on a new diet and I had also just started up my horse riding lessons. Yet I stopped my lessons for a whole month($40 a lesson every week) to purchase a new freezer to hold their food. I'm still on hiatus with my lessons because I decided my fish would enjoy having more plants and a new more efficient filter. There's never a time when I'm not sacrificing for them. FYI: I view having children the same. I never ever thought to myself "I've sacrificed enough".

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
my current cage is 4 feet long so would have to be sold if anything. the smaller one that hasn't been sold yet could go with your options. ty will keep all in mind.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is that the table I think it is?

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
no the table is all same size square tiles. ENOUGH SO FAR,NOT PLANNING ON STOPPING! stop judging me, you try helping then u go right back judging on other things. this is all a big shame.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Okay, not sure where this thread went so off track - and not going to read through it all to find out, but the message has been said CLEARLY. This is a newbie, we've all had our warnings in that regard, people need to give her a little space to breathe and move about the forum. She needs a little time to come to her own conclusions after doing her own looking around and reading.

Otherwise, she might just leave and never change a thing ever again. How would that suit everybody?

There are some REALLY BIG problems out there in the world and you guys will not let up that her cage is a few inches too small. REALLY?! Not a single one of us is perfect. Give her the space and time and respect that you yourselves wish people would give you.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay, we all know the housing space guidelines. My suggestion to the OP is to review them Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home. In the mean time, until you can find the space for a large enough cage, perhaps we all can work together to offer suggestions to make the most of the space the OP does have access to.

I know when I was new to guinea pigs, I thought the store cage I had was just fine - because I wasn't aware that there was a better option but I understand the frustration of lack of space. I have seen people in the same situation get suggestions for rearranging furniture.

To the OP: You did come to this forum and started a thread asking if the cage you have is better for rabbits or guinea pigs. When people started to answer, the question that you posted, you insisted that you knew better. What you may want to think about is - if you do know better "My pigs are happy, thank you very much", then why post the question in the first place? If you posted the question, why scoff at the answers? My other suggestion is to stand back and just listen to what people have to say. They are trying to answer your question. Take what you will from the answers given, discard others, it's up to you.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Okay, we all know the housing space guidelines. My suggestion to the OP is to review them Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home. In the mean time, until you can find the space for a large enough cage, perhaps we all can work together to offer suggestions to make the most of the space the OP does have access to.

I know when I was new to guinea pigs, I thought the store cage I had was just fine - because I wasn't aware that there was a better option but I understand the frustration of lack of space. I have seen people in the same situation get suggestions for rearranging furniture.

To the OP: You did come to this forum and started a thread asking if the cage you have is better for rabbits or guinea pigs. When people started to answer, the question that you posted, you insisted that you knew better. What you may want to think about is - if you do know better "My pigs are happy, thank you very much", then why post the question in the first place? If you posted the question, why scoff at the answers? My other suggestion is to stand back and just listen to what people have to say. They are trying to answer your question. Take what you will from the answers given, discard others, it's up to you.

The original poster is Tally, not nibnskip.
nibenskip responded as he/she has a similar cage to the one Tally asked about at the beginning of the thread & everything went off topic from there. Tally now has a Midwest cage for her pigs, the current issue on the original topic is an appropriate cage for her rabbit Patrick.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Let's just focus on getting the thread back on track and leave the bickering off the forum.

Wibbles

Cavy Slave
I got my guinea pigs 3 months ago and purchased the Rabbit home for them. Once I got home I did some research and came across this sight. I wish I would of sooner would of saved me some money. I bought a 2x6 cage from the store here and it made a big difference to there happiness. I also was not aware at how much bigger they were going to get at the time I bought the pet store cage. The C&C cages sold here are very simple to make they come prescored and cut. It even came with directions that had well drawn illustrations. It is as simple as fold and tape the plastic and push the plastic connectors on the grid. If for any reason you mess this up it is completely reversible.

Last edited:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Otherwise a 2x3 would be better than your current cage (30"x44").

I think this conversation is going nowhere & is doing more harm than good.

1. Are you saying a 2x3 is better then his/her cage which is 30x44 inches? I thought a 2x3 was 28x42, am I wrong? Aren't the panels 14 inches? Wouldn't that be shrinking their current home?
2. You are correct, this conversation did more harm then good. After reading through much of this as a new pig owner, I would have to say many of you come off as snob piggy owners. Someone even demanding that they should give them up. The cage is not their only place, I could have sworn they were also placed in a playpen that takes up a great part of their living room, so it is not their only world.
3. In a perfect world we'd all have as much room as we wanted, kids would have a huge back yard, bedroom/playroom, etc etc. I live in an apartment with a 63lb dog, some think that its unfair he doesn't have a huge back yard, how unfair of me. Well he goes for walks, out to a field to play fetch, the dog goes to work with me every day, enjoying the company of many patients that love and adore him, while those with huge yards leave their dogs home 8-12 hours a day while they are at work. I would never say give up your dog because you leave them at home so long or you can't take them to work. If the pigs are in the playpen off and on all day, playing with kids, I am more then sure they are very happy.
4. Nibnskip, you are doing great your kids are happy, the pigs are happy!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
1. Are you saying a 2x3 is better then his/her cage which is 30x44 inches? I thought a 2x3 was 28x42, am I wrong? Aren't the panels 14 inches? Wouldn't that be shrinking their current home?
2. You are correct, this conversation did more harm then good. After reading through much of this as a new pig owner, I would have to say many of you come off as snob piggy owners. Someone even demanding that they should give them up. The cage is not their only place, I could have sworn they were also placed in a playpen that takes up a great part of their living room, so it is not their only world.
3. In a perfect world we'd all have as much room as we wanted, kids would have a huge back yard, bedroom/playroom, etc etc. I live in an apartment with a 63lb dog, some think that its unfair he doesn't have a huge back yard, how unfair of me. Well he goes for walks, out to a filed to play fetch, the dog goes to work with me every day, enjoying the company of many patients that love and adore him, while those with huge yards leave their dogs home 8-12 hours a day while they are at work. I would never say give up your dog because you leave them at home so long or you can't take them to work. If the pigs are in the playpen off and on all day, playing with kids, I am more then sure they are very happy.
4. Nibnskip, you are doing great your kids are happy, the pigs are happy!

It's the outer measurements according to the cage store (with connectors & slight space in between the grids). The inner measurements are indeed around 27"x41" depending on how you make the coro tray, the store tend to want more give to prevent it from warping due to the connectors at the sides.

Dogs require walking & traveling forward much more than a backyard. A backyard, no matter how large will never replace walking for mental stimulation.
Leaving a dog alone for 12 hours on a regular basis is indeed not fair, and it's recommended to have at least two in those cases as they are herd animals as well. And it's still not fair as they need to be able to do their business, so re-homing may be needed in the interest of the animal. It's about doing what's best for the animals in those cases, not the owners.

My comment has nothing to do with this specific case I should add.

Tally943
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Wow, I was gone for 2 days and this forum really got off topic and out of hand. Can someone please close this forum? Thank you for those of you who have helped me. I am getting another Midwest cage for the guinea pigs and building a C&C cage for the rabbit!

I'm sure a mod can help & move the off topic posts to a separate thread. Please post pictures of Patrick & his cage when you're done!

Tally943
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

buniesfirst

Cavy Slave
I know I'm gunna get bad mouthed for this, but my boar only live in a 4.7 spuare foot cage and he is fine! We can pick him up easily, and her has plenty of room to run. In fact he runs so much he tires himself out and we have to pick him up while he's sleeping and put him in his hut.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I know I'm gunna get bad mouthed for this, but my boar only live in a 4.7 spuare foot cage and he is fine! We can pick him up easily, and her has plenty of room to run. In fact he runs so much he tires himself out and we have to pick him up while he's sleeping and put him in his hut.

If you are picking him up while he is sleeping and putting him in his hut without waking him up, he most likely has a medical condition (probably a heart condition) and needs to go to the vet.

And just because he is yound and looks 'fine; doesn't mean he is actually fine. Just because and animal is surviving doesn't mean it's fine.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I agree that is very odd to be able to pick up a sleeping pig without him waking. I have had guinea pigs for 20 years and have never seen that. I would also get him checked out by a vet.

adelore

Cavy Slave
Wow! All I can say is Wow! After reading all the answers on here, (this does not go out to everyone who posted) but really all these answers to a Newbie that when reading them seem kind of Harsh. I understand the "well intentions", but please remember the "typed" word does not always come across as friendly. May I suggest putting in a few "smiles" and such, so the reader knows you are being kind and not answering in a "attack" mode. Not all Newbies will stick around if they feel they are being attacked, or better yet like their not Good and Loving Piggie Parents. The whole point of this Forum is to help each other in a "Nice" way. It's to Improve a guinea pigs life. If we push people away by being Harsh or seeming to be Harsh by the typed "word", the person replying may feel better, yet you have just made a New Piggie Owner feel bad enough to leave, in turn, you just also made a sweet little guinea pigs life, not the best it could be, not to mention possible other Guinea Pigs later on down the road. Take a Good Look at your Piggies, Yep right now, and say to yourself, would you want that for your Piggie. Of course not. Keep in mind they are asking, sure we answer, but it's how we answer and the words we choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.