Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How often do you clean your cage?

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 C&C cage for my two boys and because of the odor, I did a full cleaning every three days. However, I just built a loft for them as a kitchen area and got them a new water bottle. (The old one was leaking an insane amount when they drank from it, soaking the towels underneath) It is now the third or fourth day since the last cleaning and there is no smell. I was just curious, could it be because of the water bottle soaking everything? Also, how often do you guys do a full clean of your cages?

Don't get me wrong, I'm SO glad now that their cage isn't as smelly! :D I'm just a little perplexed as to why...

Lil Pig

Cavy Slave
We had just added kitchens to our 2x4 C&C cages also. It really made a big difference! I was surprised! Pleasantly surprised! :)

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Well that's good to hear! The kitchen area really is nice -- everything is so clean now haha. If the kitchen area is why it doesn't smell anymore, than building that thing may have been one of the best decisions I've made concerning my cage! lol

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I have 3 boys in a 5x3 cage and I do a full clean about every 5 days. I do poop sweeps twice a day and change out the extra cuddle cups an comfy pads every other day. They do also have a 1x3 loft but they don't seem to pee up there much an there's only a few poops in a whole day. I don't have a kitchen area separated off as such an I do tend to spread their veggies around the bottom large level to make my lazy pig Buzz move! Xx lol xx

Could people add pictures if their kitchen areas to maybe give me an idea? Xx

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 cage and i clean it once or twice a week and do spot cleaning every day. :)

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
@Rach84: That's about what I do as well, except I just vacuum up the poops once a day. :) I suppose I could try cleaning every 5 days as well! It doesn't smell too bad by then, does it? My parents are SO strict when it comes to odor.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Mine doesn't smell at all - I have fleece them 2 layers of towels xx

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a 2x6 with a 1x2 loft. I vacuum it out everyday and do a full clean every 3-4 days.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
For my 3x5 with 2 x 2.5 loft for 3 pigs I do pooh sweeps once daily and full clean every 5-9 days depending on how fast it gets smelly, a 4x6 for 3 pigs I do pooh sweeps once a day the full cage cleans every 8 - 13 days (As they do most of their wees in the kitchen area a 2x2 which I just lift out and clean).

For the rescue cages they are all recommend sizes so I do twice daily pooh sweeps and full cage cleaning every 3 - 6 days.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Alright, thanks everyone! :D I'll try cleaning it every 5 days or so and see how that works for me.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
i have two girls so i dunno if this is any good lol but i do full clean once a week. i have water bottle pads to catch any of the water that leaks. i use fleece flippers so i flip them after a few days. i used to have hay in a litter box and that was really messy now i have it in a hay bag and i still have the litter box and that helps so much, i dont have hay all over my flippers, it pretty much stays to the litter box. and they poo in there while they are munching on hay. maybe a bunch of potty pads would help in the areas they like to pee the most in. you can switch those out daily to lessen the smell

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
I scoop twice a day, and do a full clean once a week.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My pigs only pee upstairs in the cage, so I clean the bottom 2x7 out once a month, but I sweep daily.

It's always dry for them down there. The top gets changed at least once a week and swept daily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.