Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay What type of hay to feed with allergies??

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Anonysquire no, my reply wasn't aimed towards you. Sorry if it seemed that way...

It was aimed towards @adelore and the OP.

Please note, I'm not bothered to argue about it..if you want to take the risk with your pigs then that's fine.

I'd honestly go for the Rye hay/grass..it is amazing. :)

Last edited:

adelore

Cavy Slave
I find this topic very interesting. Is there information on there that says why a person can't feed the hay blocks. What I mean is not just our thoughts one way or the other, but information, like a guinea pig health site, a Vets site, ect. I understand what some are saying about their teeth, truely I do, (and please don't take this as an argument, I'm not intending it to be that way) But it's the Guinea Pigs front teeth that continue to grow and must be clipped if the Guinea Pig doesn't keep them chewed down. A friend of mine many many years ago back in 1980 had rescued a Guinea Pig back when I lived in Detroit area and that Pigs front teeth needed to be clipped by the Vet, I went with her and watched this done. The Vet back then explained about a Guinea Pigs teeth, the need to chew, wood blocks, hay cubes, veggies (raw) fresh outside grass (untreated of course) to keep the piggies teeth worn down. Back then fresh hay in that Detroit metro area truely wasn't sold for Guinea Pigs. (Not that we found anyway, nor was it mentioned by the Vet.)

As I said earlier for many many years (mid 2000, about 2004) I never fed loose hay. Yet none of my piggies ever had to have their teeth clipped, nor did any of them every become overgrown. Over 30 piggies later and None of my piggies dieing before the age of 8 years old, some of them even made it to 10...this is really stumping me at how some think the cubes are so bad.

I believe it's not just the loose hay that keeps their teeth worn down, although I will agree they do love it. I believe a Guinea Pig needs all kinds of chews, toys, wood blocks, chew sticks, branches (that are safe) for proper dental health.

I would just hate to see a person not be able to give these adorable little furballs a Great Home, because he/she thought if they didn't feed loose hay, (due to a sever allergie to loose hay) that they would be a bad Guinea Pig Parent. I myself have 37 allergies, some of which kick off Asthma Attacks. Hay being my biggest allergie....that is why I'm so careful with it, also why when on the Semi my girls only get very little loose hay a day....I seem to value my life.

Again, I'm not trying to start an arguement, but after 20 plus years of not feeding loose hay and feeding the blocks and never having a teeth problem, I don't want to discourage a prospective Guinea Pig Parent out of adopting, we have far too many Piggies in Rescues that need good forever homes, to let a "Loose Hay" issue stop them from getting a Piggie, not when I know from experience blocks work, along with chews ect.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I find this topic very interesting. Is there information on there that says why a person can't feed the hay blocks. What I mean is not just our thoughts one way or the other, but information, like a guinea pig health site, a Vets site, ect. I understand what some are saying about their teeth, truely I do, (and please don't take this as an argument, I'm not intending it to be that way) But it's the Guinea Pigs front teeth that continue to grow and must be clipped if the Guinea Pig doesn't keep them chewed down. A friend of mine many many years ago back in 1980 had rescued a Guinea Pig back when I lived in Detroit area and that Pigs front teeth needed to be clipped by the Vet, I went with her and watched this done. The Vet back then explained about a Guinea Pigs teeth, the need to chew, wood blocks, hay cubes, veggies (raw) fresh outside grass (untreated of course) to keep the piggies teeth worn down. Back then fresh hay in that Detroit metro area truely wasn't sold for Guinea Pigs. (Not that we found anyway, nor was it mentioned by the Vet.)

As I said earlier for many many years (mid 2000, about 2004) I never fed loose hay. Yet none of my piggies ever had to have their teeth clipped, nor did any of them every become overgrown. Over 30 piggies later and None of my piggies dieing before the age of 8 years old, some of them even made it to 10...this is really stumping me at how some think the cubes are so bad.

I believe it's not just the loose hay that keeps their teeth worn down, although I will agree they do love it. I believe a Guinea Pig needs all kinds of chews, toys, wood blocks, chew sticks, branches (that are safe) for proper dental health.

I would just hate to see a person not be able to give these adorable little furballs a Great Home, because he/she thought if they didn't feed loose hay, (due to a sever allergie to loose hay) that they would be a bad Guinea Pig Parent. I myself have 37 allergies, some of which kick off Asthma Attacks. Hay being my biggest allergie....that is why I'm so careful with it, also why when on the Semi my girls only get very little loose hay a day....I seem to value my life.

Again, I'm not trying to start an arguement, but after 20 plus years of not feeding loose hay and feeding the blocks and never having a teeth problem, I don't want to discourage a prospective Guinea Pig Parent out of adopting, we have far too many Piggies in Rescues that need good forever homes, to let a "Loose Hay" issue stop them from getting a Piggie, not when I know from experience blocks work, along with chews ect.

Branches & chew toys will not keep their molars ground down, only the incisors. Malocclusion is rarely because of overgrown incisors alone, but overgrown molars.
The issues with block/cube hay is that it only releases small pieces, not long strand grass hay which they need for their digestion, as well as a potential issue for their teeth. The second issue being that the cubes are bound by something & it's usually molasses or some kind of starch, which is an issue when it comes to the increased risk of diabetes.

Have you ever tried bluegrass?

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
Amen! ^^^ thank you Adelore!

adelore

Cavy Slave
I can honestly say I haven't tried bluegrass. I do know I've never seen it sold at any of the Petstores around here, or at the Tractor Supplies. I did however live in KY for 3 years, I assume your not talking about the Bluegrass grass, I've never seen Bluegrass hay.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I can honestly say I haven't tried bluegrass. I do know I've never seen it sold at any of the Petstores around here, or at the Tractor Supplies. I did however live in KY for 3 years, I assume your not talking about the Bluegrass grass, I've never seen Bluegrass hay.

It's available from KMs, but I find it really odd that it's so uncommon from other sources.
(broken link removed)

adelore

Cavy Slave
It's available from KMs, but I find it really odd that it's so uncommon from other sources.
(broken link removed)
Honestly I had never heard of it until you posted it. I'm from the United State in Michigan. As far as a "risk" by feeding the blocks. I can only say for 24 years thats truely all my piggies got, since hay way back then wasn't sold for Guinea Pigs in my area. Not one of my piggies ever had dental problems and not one of them died until they were 8 years old or older. I've had piggies for 33 years now, so I can honestly say, if someone has bad allergies, using blocks, (at least from my experience) is a way to go.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Honestly I had never heard of it until you posted it. I'm from the United State in Michigan. As far as a "risk" by feeding the blocks. I can only say for 24 years thats truely all my piggies got, since hay way back then wasn't sold for Guinea Pigs in my area. Not one of my piggies ever had dental problems and not one of them died until they were 8 years old or older. I've had piggies for 33 years now, so I can honestly say, if someone has bad allergies, using blocks, (at least from my experience) is a way to go.

Many allergics have great success with bluegrass from what I've seen around here, if it works out then it's a much better option to hay cubes.
Shipping is the main concern for many, but you already pay shipping for items from pet stores as it's included in the price. Compare the weight costs & see if it's doable.

Purplepiggymom

Cavy Slave
@Anonysquire no, my reply wasn't aimed towards you. Sorry if it seemed that way...

It was aimed towards @adelore and the OP.

Please note, I'm not bothered to argue about it..if you want to take the risk with your pigs then that's fine.

I'd honestly go for the Rye hay/grass..it is amazing. :)

How do you grow it? And where did you get the plants/ seeds from?

Purplepiggymom

Cavy Slave

Yeah I want to rescue some but not have allergies affect my health. Thanks for this. The cubes should help me because they do not have as much dust. What brand do you buy?

adelore

Cavy Slave
I myself see nothing wrong with trying the Bluegrass, as I stated earlier, I had never heard of it...and didn't have any idea of who KMS was.

But back then (when I first got piggies) the internet hadn't even been thought of yet. :) well that tells my age doesn't it... :) And like I said, the cubes were the only thing at the time available.

I have no idea yet what the Bluegrass cost..plus the shipping. If someone wanted to try it, before the blocks, I can support that.

I myself have been through Allergie testing several times. On my back and in my arms, 100 on my back and 100 injections (testing) in my forarms. I've tried Timothy and Alfala....the Alfala is much worse for me. Although the Timothy bothers e and I have found that if I only give a small handful and I react to it but not as bad. My testing shows I'm allergic to grass, weeds, oats, corn, and the list goes on. For me, it might be worth a try, yet I must admit, it's also a little nerve wracking in case I am allergic...it can through me into an Asthma Attack....when I have them I have to be rushed to the hospital to get a shot, I've come close to death a couple of times, so I guess that's why I'll stick to the blocks mostly.

I am all for people to try the Blue Grass or any other hay they wish too, but I wanted to explain how and why I've given the blocks for so many years. It works for me and for my Guinea Pigs. To me it's a win win and comming close to death and not being able to breath is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
I think @adelore was hoping for some study or scientific proof of why hay cubes are not okay. It sounds like she has lots and lots of personal experience with long-lived gpigs and hay cubes and can speak with some authority on her personal experience with them. She has had gpigs longer than some of the posters here have been alive. (I am not saying that to sound mean AT ALL - I am merely pointing out that her viewpoint should not be so easily discounted.)

The fillers are an obvious drawback in the cubes. And certain breeds, if memory serves, are more prone to teeth problems than others. All this should be taken into account. But have there been any "official" type studies done on the subject?

@spy9doc - Thank you. I hadn't read about your experience before. How miserable - and so glad you found a solution. :)

adelore

Cavy Slave
The Kaytee Timothy cubes do not have anything in them but Timothy hay and Alfafa hay. I believe when looking for hay cubes, it's just like looking for Guinea Pig food, Read the Lable. Not all Guinea Pig food is really good for our piggies, so we must read the lable.

@R5plus, you put a smile on my face...:) when you said I've had piggies and experience longer than some of the posters on here have been a live. Although as true as that may be :) at 55 years old almost 56, I am still willing to learn and by no means do I have all the answers. :) But your comment did make me smile and laugh Thanks@R5plus for that. :)

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
@adelore - And may we never stop learning...:)

adelore

Cavy Slave
Oh, please......let's not do, "can you top this".........because I have you by a few years. :crazy: I had Abys 30 years ago.......and have them now. I shudder now to think of how they were cared for (or not) and how much longer their life expectancy might have been if I had been better educated on their care.

Not discounting your experience with hay cubes. As I said, we thought that this might be our only option for a while. Just trying to offer alternatives. And trying to deflect that rash of criticism from others about your using the cubes. Too many people get locked into the prevailing thinking here on the Forum and start to believe that it's the only way to raise cavies. Obviously, you have found what works for your particular situation.

For others, it may be worth it to order 5 lbs. of bluegrass to see if it works for them.

@spy9doc,

I'm glad to see someone on here who's had guinea Pigs in the 30 plus range like I have. I've had guinea pigs for 33 years 1980 till now is 33 years.) I also said I had 30 plus piggies, but a number or two doesn't really matter much does it? I'm not trying by no means tring to play the "can you top this" I have only offered what I felt was helpful advice to others who have severe allergies.

Please take the time to read All my post and replies, you will see where I Fully support anyone who wants to try blue grass or any other type of hay. I even admit that I had never heard of bluegrass hay before. I have even said that I feed a handful of Timothy hay daily, but I mostly use the blocks on the Semi, due to my allergies and asthma.

It amazes me how some people are so quick to judge others without reading Everything another has posted.

adelore

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc,

Please read post #28, you will see I had fed my piggies hay blocks for 24 years, but have had them for 33 years. Not trying to play "Lets top this" but just pointing out it may be helpful if you read All my replies and postings, before you assume, I'm trying to paly the "Lets top this."

sofieguineapigs

Cavy Slave
Well I give my pigs Oaten Hay, but I know Australia has different names for hay, so I'm not sure what that is is America and anywhere else but I'm only a little allergic to it because everytime I refill their hay rack I get teary eyes and a stuffed nose. Then it goes away after a while. But if you're not too allergic you should be fine. But if you are.. I'm sorry.. I think you know where this is headed.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have asthma and use flovent and albuterol inhalers when it gets bad. Personally, even though I have allergies, having guinea pigs was a choice that I made so I buy what's best for my guinea pigs and manage my allergies. I'm really allergic to timothy but but tolerate orchard grass, meadow grass, blue grass and brome. I do sneeze from the others but it's not as bad as with the timothy. I didn't notice whether the OP mentioned whether or not allergy testing was done. That's the first thing I'd do to determine which option gets the least reactions. The second thing I'd suggest is that consider which your guinea pigs would enjoy the most. Their diets are so limited that it seems like they're the ones that should have the choice, not us. I've bought cubes as a treat but none of them cared for them. Given a choice between fresh hay and something that's been cut down and compressed, I have no doubt that guinea pigs would prefer fresh. Mine not only eat the hay, they roll in it and sit in it. It's a simple pleasure that they love so it's worth it for me.... (I also like cats but am really allergic to them. I don't own them for that reason.) Wearing gloves when handling the hay and keeping an air purifier in the room might minimize some of the dust. I think the dust can become more of an issue than the hay itself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.