Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Poll II (Where you buy your hay)

Where do you buy your hay?

• KM's (Kleenmama's hay)-online

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • Oxbow-online

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • American Pet Diner-online

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Sweet Meadow Farms-online

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Lowe's Pet Hay-online

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfalfa King-online

• Pet Store (Petco, PetSmart, etc.)

Votes: 55 27.9%
  • Feed Store or Farm Supply

Votes: 36 18.3%
  • Rescue

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Horse Stables/Farm

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Chain Store (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.)

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Pine Hill Farms (Bunny Bale)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
I'm currently buying the big bag at Petsmart($12 a bag :eek: ). As soon as I have room I will be buying from KM or Oxbow. Even with the shipping cost, it will be much cheeper per pound. (That's a weight measurement, not money- for you Brits. :silly: )

Fluff_n_roll

Cavy Slave
Pigaroo Mama said:
I'm currently buying the big bag at Petsmart($12 a bag :eek: ). As soon as I have room I will be buying from KM or Oxbow. Even with the shipping cost, it will be much cheeper per pound. (That's a weight measurement, not money- for you Brits. :silly: )

OK i just ordered from Oxbow today and i will tell you i wasn't to impressed with the prices!!!
Cavy Performance 10 lbs. 10 lbs.18.49
Early Cut Western Timothy 40 oz 40 oz18.39
Subtotal$16.88
Shipping and Handling$10.91
Tax$0.00
Total$27.79
I get my food from a rescue and i dont pay shipping that is $10.91 shipping that's crazy.
When i buy food if i would have doubled it it would have been 6-8 dollars no tax or shipping, Hay would have been 8-9 dollars.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I voted Kleenmama because that's where we get most of our hay.

We had to buy a bag of Oxbow's Orchard Grass about a week ago because I'd overestimated how much KM was in their bins & we ran out. But that was an emergency measure & the boys are letting us know they're not happy about it (KM will be delivered tomorrow ;) )

We used to buy Timothy from a local feed store, but they stopped carrying it & now only carry straw. (sigh) They had such a great price too... $3 for a 30lb bale!

Oh well, the boys are ever so much happier with their Bluegrass now... I don't know if I could go back even if they did start selling Timmy again!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I added an option for Pine Hill Farms.

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
I said pet store, as it is the only place that sells quality hay here. "Feed All and Pet Supply" is the name of it, if anybody was curious. ;)

ilovpiggiesthei

Cavy Slave
I buy mine from our stables!lol
I have a pony :love: so i just bring home a bale and pop it in the garage and it lasts for ages!:D
xx

cacosta

Cavy Slave
If your in or near the Akron, Ohio area you must check out this farm that I get my hay from. The quality is unbelievable and it's only $5 for a 50 - 60 lbs bale. This is a timothy/alfalfa mix, very soft, not stalks, a few prickers that you can easily pick out.

The farm is actually a fish farm but they bale the most wonderful hay. It's in Doylestown, OH.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
I buy my Oxbow from a small locally owned pet shop that doesn't sell animals (they do sometimes host kitties from the local shelter for adoption.)

I just ordered some third cut timothy from Kleenmama's sale.

minnie

Cavy Slave
I buy most of my hay (Oxbow) at Petcarecentral.com

There is also a pet supply store that sells Oxbow hay that I only go to if I am going to be in the area where they are located

Petcarecentral has such good prices that even with the shipping cost added the hay still totals out to be the same as if I took a drive to the pet supply store that sells the Oxbow brand

Happy Holidays
Minnie

Numpty

Cavy Slave
I'm lucky, I get hay for free from my neighbour :)

FanGirl

Cavy Slave
just started buysing form a feed store. $6.50 for a 150 lb bale is great!!!

LindaDelta

Cavy Slave
I used to buy hay from a local feed store, but KM hay for a Christmas present. They have enjoyed it so much that I've changed to KM.

CavyCuddler

Cavy Slave
I've gotten my timothy hay online from Oxbow Hay and American Pet Diner. Both are a great value and a box lasts a couple of months (well, that was when I had two pigs--I have 5 now). When we're in a pinch and forget to order bulk hay in time, I get it from For Other Living Things since I live only a few miles from it.

DollStuff101

Cavy Slave
Is there anywhere here that has a list of links where one can buy hay or other supplies for thier Piggies Online? I'd love to browse around some shops that everyone else uses for Piggie supplies. Suggestions from other piggie parents are great!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Most of these are scattered throughout other threads, but check out:
(broken link removed) - Hay, toys, Oxbow food, not elevated shipping
(broken link removed) - same as above, slightly higher prices, free shipping over $35 - I find that critterstore is still cheaper.
(broken link removed) - Excellent hay and pellets, check your area on the shipping chart
(broken link removed) - all Oxbow products, links to other online sources and a retail locator.

smilin0117

Cavy Slave
I bought KM hay about 2 months ago. 1/2 bluegrass and 1/2 timothy 3rd cut. Let me tell you....my pigs think they are getting a treat every time I fill there hay. They go nuts for the KM hay. I use to just buy it from the pet store....they would eat it, but would never get excited about it. Not now. They we-eek away for that hay. They also prefer the bluegrass to the timothy.

I would recommend this hay to anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.