Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brothers hate being separated

I have two brothers, they get along great. I have had them for two weeks and couldn't be happier with them. I was wondering if it is normal for them to get very upset when separated. If I pull one out for lap time and not the other they start calling for each other. They will talk back and forth until they are reunited. I usually hold them together, but say each of my kids wants to hold one they start calling out back and forth. Just looking to see if this happens to anyone else or maybe I have the separation anxiety brothers. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-21 21.20.49.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	45840

Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Re: Brothers hate being separated

My pigs do this too. They aren't brothers but they are pretty close. Once I pick up one and hold him, the other will be looking around for him, checking each pigloo, looking under the hay rack and running back in forth in the cage. Then he realizes his buddy isn't there so he eats some vegetables. I think it's so cute. It's like he's taking advantage of the guinea pigs' disappearance. xD

3. "Thank you, CharScoobJoey, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

The younger they are, the more anxious they may feel apart from each other. They look pretty young in the picture. If you were in their paws, think of how it would feel to be pulled away from mom and maybe sisters, lose some brothers perhaps, and now you're in a strange place and creatures keep taking your brother away and leaving you all alone (and the other one is surely thinking he's about to be eaten).

Give it time and veggies, they'll adjust.

Our Layla would always call to her cagemate in the beginning and we'd throw in an extra veggie - otherwise laptime was super difficult with squirmy Bella. Though, in our case, I'm not entirely certain there wasn't some jealousy involved. Layla is the boss pig and she tends to keep close track of what Bella is up to - so there's another thought.

5. "Thank you, R5 plus, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    691 Rec'd/597 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

My first two pigs, who were brothers, would cry and carry on if I took one out of the cage. They could not stand to be separated. They lived together for over seven years and never had any disagreements. The girls I have now couldn't care less if I take one away from the other one. Their main concern what is she doing to my friend, and am I going to be next. So they become very quiet and hide in the pigloo.

7. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the quick replies. I almost always hold them together. Glad to know it is pretty normal in the world of piggies.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    30 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

my dominate male when i get him for lap time will want to jump off of me to try and get to his bunk mates missing them so much he will leap bounds to be with them

10. "Thank you, SimbaDC650, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)
    Pumpkin and Nala did that for the first month or two. Mine are a bonded pair of sows and it was mostly Pumpkin, the submissive one, who would cry out. Nala would return her call, as if saying she's ok, then would go back to snuggling me and eating her veggies.

12. "Thank you, YourSoJelly, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List