Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My Guinea Pig HATES Lap Time?

piggiecavy

Cavy Slave
My Guinea pig (Francis) seems to not enjoy lap time. When i go over to his cage, he usually thinks that i am about to do lap time, so he runs, scurrys, and hides! When i finally have him in my lap, he is absolutely quiet. Then, when i go to place him out of his cage, he is bassicaly trying to violently get out of my hands by kicking, moving his head, and wiggling. Why does he do this? :?:

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
Some guinea pigs just hate being held. My guinea pig Joey hates it a lot. My older pig Scooby used to hate it too, everytime I picked him up he would sit still for 20 seconds and then bite and squirm and even teeth chatter. I began holding him every day, whether he wanted to be held or not. I wrapped him in a cozy fleece blanket and fed him little treats like carrots, lettuce and apples. With quite a lot of patience and time, he began to realize that lap time meant him getting treats. Now, he wheeks in the cage, begging for attention. When you hold your pig, you may want to sit close to the ground, since he may jump out of your hands. Next time you pick him up, gently speak to him and tell him how good of a piggy he is. Stroke him lightly behind his ears or on his back. You will know that you've found his 'sweet spot' if he makes little squeaky noises signaling he is enjoying your petting. Good luck with your pig!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
most piggies don't like to get picked up, even my friendlier pig who doesn't mind getting petted while in her cage will hide when i want to pick her up!
my other piggy sounds abit like yours, except after a month of daily lap time she's starting to relax more on my lap to explore around. she's not a noisy pig though. also she gets very excited to get back into her cage :) just shows they prefer it i guess!

lots of patience, its all part of a piggy's personality :D

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Think of it this way. In a prey animal's natural work, a big predator-type animal picking it up usually means it's being carried off to be eaten. The natural response is to flee from being caught, and to struggle if captured. Many piggies eventually learn that the human giants aren't harmful, and are even often the bearers of many delicious things, but some are never completely comfortable with being picked up, even if they learn to like lap time. My girls have learned not to struggle when I'm putting them back in their cages, and some days they let me catch them with no fuss, but many times I heard the Benny Hill chase sequence music in my head as I pursue them around the cage or playpen. It's all about patience and accepting your piggies' personality.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
, but many times I heard the Benny Hill chase sequence music in my head as I pursue them around the cage or playpen. It's all about patience and accepting your piggies' personality.

LOL...Mine too, it's funny how you described it. Mine are mostly new, and hide all the time, floor time they huddle together only once in a while nose at the cat if he is sleeping near by. They hide most of the time in their cage. We have had them for 10 days give or take now.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
You could try the towel trick or keep him in a cozy cave until he warms up to you a bit more.

nikki789

Cavy Slave
how long have you had your guinea pig? I've had speedy for 4 months now and we have developed a system: he goes on top of his house to be picked up with no fuss, if he is on the floor of his cage or on the floor of my bedroom picking him up is an absolute mission. Also when we are having cuddles he seems to prefer a minute of so of just sitting on me before i stroke him or anything for some reason. He now loves cuddles as long as i stick to his "rules" try a few different ways of going about it and you will soon see what your pig prefers. Giving him treats while you are holding him will also help with the process. Once me and speedy sorted out his preferences he very quickly became a very cuddly pig whereas before hand he had been very kicky which once results in two of my fingers bleeding as he was also due for a nail clipping and he cut open my hands.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Yea, I've had Sookie 3 months and she hates lap time too! I try putting her in their play pen and either me or my son will sit in there with them so they can get used to us. If you have veggies she will come up to you but that is the only way. Our other piggy Pinky loves being picked up and held so I think it just depends on the pig.

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
wrap him in a burrito!~ takes time but the scratching in places where they cant reach can work wonders!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.