Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bite Marks

emttami

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!
I have several questions to ask if anyone can give me some advice

One of my boars that I had to separate from the other 3 has bite marks on his bottom back area. Actually, they all do
one of the reasons I separated him from them. I've kept a close check on them - the others seem to be healing but the marks on Gus are pretty deep and are taking a little more time to heal. I read not to put Neosporin or anything like that on them-could kill them, if they somehow licked it off. Is this true? I groom them b/c they are long-haired piggies and I think it really hurts him even though I'm very careful
What can you suggest for me to put on it to heal faster? Should I wait to give them a bath until sores are completely gone? Also- I worry that Gus is going to get depressed being alone but he is right next to the other 3, where he can see, hear, and they still even come up to the cubes and touch. Even still try to nip sometimes. He is just sooo dominate. I've tried putting him in with just another one-doing 2/2 but he fights with them all. Like rolling fighting. One of them has actually bit a chunk out of his ear. (Sad) anyways, I felt sorry for the little toot, he is the only one that has free range of the house when I'm home. In your experience, do you feel like he can be happy living like this or am I just over-thinking it? He seems to be enjoying himself just fine on his own but its only been a week. Also-I was told by the home breeder that I bought them from that I should neuter him and he would calm down and fit back in with the group. Is this true? I've read differently. So many questions, sorry.
Just thought I'd get your opinion. BTW Gus is 6 mo old
The other 3) boars are- 7mo, 3mo, & 2mo old and for now those three are all happy as can be living together in same cage. Of course, that could change in a few months. Thanks in advance

clb89

Cavy Slave
First off welcome to the forums. :)

If the bite marks are not healing I would take guinea pig to a exotic vet in case of infection. A vet whom is good with guinea pigs would know what to do. I have also read that neosporin is not something one should use on a guinea pig. I know you can't use it on rats and they are both part of the rodent family.

As far as your guinea pigs fighting, what size is the cage? How did you introduce them? Boars do need a large space, larger then sows.

There is a chart here: Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
Also some info on Guinea Pig Socialization

emttami

Cavy Slave
Their cage is HUGE!!! Since I separated them, the 3) cage is a 5x6 and Gus cage is a 3x5
They have plenty of space and toys. Tunnels - 6 inch PVC pipes to run through.
each have their own beds, bowls, and water bottles. Huge hay pile to play/eat in. These boys are spoiled.
Thanks for the Welcome!! I flew these boys in from Texas, they have been living together for over 2 mo
Until a week ago, when the nipping turned into fighting. Thanks for responding.

clb89

Cavy Slave
It sounds like their cage is big enough then. I will let others weigh in on what to do with your fighting boars.

emttami

Cavy Slave
Thanks-I'm calling vet to see about what to put on bite marks

19piggies

Cavy Slave
Gus may have hit the hormonal stage and is battling for dominance. If you have older boars, they may be trying to bully him into submission as an under piggy. Any bites or wounds inflicted is a sure sign more serious fighting could occur so would keep Gus apart and allow wounds to heal. An antibiotic as Baytril along with a probiotic will ward off any infection and keep an eye on the wounds for redness or if it becomes warm and inflamed to the touch. He'll be fine being able to see the others.
Neutering does not alter their behaviour although, if you opt for this, he could have a little sow for company six weeks post op. but with other boars, could be a problem if they are in close proximity.
I'm surprised you have as many boars together as more than two rarely work without bickering at some point which could be the problem you are facing now. I have my boys in pairs and one neutered living with a little girl, my girls live in trio's and a herd.

emttami

Cavy Slave
Hello, Thanks for responding. You are right on the money about Gus battling for dominance, even with my older boar, who has been extremely scared of Gus. He would run from Gus with sounds of horror. I would catch Gus picking on him for no reason at all. My older one was depressed & would hide all day. When I took Gus out of his cage, immediately you could tell a difference in Baybell(oldest) he was out playing with the others again & pop-corning everywhere. I really thought I had done alot of researching on Guinea's before getting my babies but as I'm learning now
there's sooo much more I need to know. (lol) The home breeder I bought them from suggested I get Boars & would not sale without buying (3) total
She said that she has successfully had groups of 4 boars living together on multiple occassions. Maybe for her but as I am learning...this is NOT possible!!
At least not 4 anyways for a long lifetime. I'm almost afraid that in about 2 more months, I'm probably going to have to separate the 3. This makes me really sad, as I had hope to let them all have free range of the house as they were older when I was home to watch them. NOT going to happen. What would you suggest?

emttami

Cavy Slave
Also, it's a little strange. Both of my young pig's. 2 & 3 mo old seem to have accepted my oldest (7mo old) as the leader.
I just see the two little one's sometimes having disagreements but not full blown fighting yet. I'm hoping they can sort it out & live together as 3.
It was my 2 mo old that fought the most with Gus (rolling in a ball together out of the cage with Gus) I think he is the one who bit his ear. So I know for sure
that he is going to be a little dominate as well. I thought about getting Gus a female to put with him but then again how bad do you think that would effect the other 3 boars?? What a mess...lol AND I don't want to give any of my boys up! They have all stolen my heart and soooo quickly!! Gus seems to get along with my minature pomeranian too. (too cute) what would be some of your suggestions??

19piggies

Cavy Slave
Also, it's a little strange. Both of my young pig's. 2 & 3 mo old seem to have accepted my oldest (7mo old) as the leader.
I just see the two little one's sometimes having disagreements but not full blown fighting yet. I'm hoping they can sort it out & live together as 3.
It was my 2 mo old that fought the most with Gus (rolling in a ball together out of the cage with Gus) I think he is the one who bit his ear. So I know for sure
that he is going to be a little dominate as well. I thought about getting Gus a female to put with him but then again how bad do you think that would effect the other 3 boars?? What a mess...lol AND I don't want to give any of my boys up! They have all stolen my heart and soooo quickly!! Gus seems to get along with my minature pomeranian too. (too cute) what would be some of your suggestions??

Once blood has been drawn, there is not really a way forward. People try bonding baths using the same shampoo so the piggies all smell the same but often, fighting reoccurs :( It is never a good plan to have more than two boars together as at some point, there could be fall outs and potentially, lots of single piggies. Even my pairs of boars who are brothers have 'tiffs' so live in 12ft pens for their own space :)
The only real way forward I would seriously consider is to try and have two groups of two or have the boys neutered and find four little girls for them all to have a wife :) This obviously could double your piggy numbers !

19piggies

Cavy Slave
How are your boys today my love :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm surprised you have as many boars together as more than two rarely work without bickering at some point which could be the problem you are facing now. .

That's not entirely true. I know of many people who also have herds (4 +) of boars living together happily. I have 3 boars, who yes..when the youngest hit puberty he did questions the dominate male but they are all getting along still a year later. I know of a few boar pairs who get along great..and others who have had lots of fall outs.
It's not rare at all for more then two boars living together to work out. :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Once blood has been drawn, there is not really a way forward.

Blood drawn is yes. Something to separate. But it's not always the end. If blood gets drawn I usually tell people to separate them for a month or till the cut has healed. And then introduce them together again..like any other intro.

My boys had blood drawn. They are loving each other like brothers still a year later after being apart for 4 weeks...when we introduced two lone males here at the rescue they had blood drawn..but we put them in the clean cage after intros and they are so amazing together and we would of hated it if we had separated because of the blood.

It is never a good plan to have more than two boars together as at some point, there could be fall outs and potentially, lots of single piggies.

By the sounds of it you haven't had the best time with a trio or more of boars. But it's no reason to tell people having more then 3 boars living together is never a good plan. You can never know if they'll have fall outs. My trio are like brothers. A person I know has 5 boars living together and they are all happy and get along great...I've had my 3 boars living with each other for over a year and she's had her 5 living together for 3 years.

19piggies

Cavy Slave
That's not entirely true. I know of many people who also have herds (4 +) of boars living together happily. I have 3 boars, who yes..when the youngest hit puberty he did questions the dominate male but they are all getting along still a year later. I know of a few boar pairs who get along great..and others who have had lots of fall outs.
It's not rare at all for more then two boars living together to work out. :)

I know of people with three boars and yes, they live well together as long as they have the room so I am not indicating it doesn't work hence I used the word 'rarely'. It's down to the personality of each piggy and if it works, that's great.
All I am attempting to do is discourage from adding a third boy to a bonded pair as it can cause issues later and rescues are brimming here in the UK with single boars due to trio's not working.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
All I am attempting to do is discourage from adding a third boy to a bonded pair as it can cause issues later and rescues are brimming here in the UK with single boars due to trio's not working.

Nothing to do with the thread: If they have lots of lone boars..why don't they pair them up?? We run a rescue and when ever we get a intact lone male we bond them to another lone male if we have one. Just because they didn't work with the other two doesn't mean they have to be single boars forever...Unless the rescues don't have the time or space. :)

I'm just wondering this...as even if we don't have another single boar we make sure they are going to a home with another boar or two and do intros here.
I do know the SPCA where I live separates boars (even if they come in as pairs or trios) and does not allow you to adopt a boar if you have a single boar..they do not allow boars living together..but that is because they think boars will fight to badly hurt each other no matter what...thanks to the myth. But we will be working with them later in the year so we're hopping to change that! It's just stupid because of a myth. >.<

emttami

Cavy Slave
How do you post a new thread???

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.