Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/3 Posts

Question Mushy poops?

In the last few days both of my piggies have developed slightly mushy poops. They appear solid, but if a pig steps on one, it smears along the fleece. The poops were quite solid initially, so this is a new development.

I've only had Cocoa for about 3 weeks and Cinna for about 5 weeks. They were both examined by a skilled vet within a few days of adoption and given the all clear. I feel like the problem may be diet related.

Between the two piggies, each day they consume:
    About 12 oz of water
    1/4 cup Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Timothy Pellets
    1 cup mixed salad greens
    Two very, very thin bell pepper slices
    As much timmy hay as their little piggie bellies can hold

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? These are my first pigs, so any advice is welcome.

Note: I really wouldn't classify this as diarrhea, but I didn't see a more suitable prefix. :/

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts

Re: Mushy poops?

I had the exact same issue and another member told me it is most likely diet related. I had just started giving them new foods and the poops went back to normal once they became accustomed to the new foods. It was also mentioned to me that diarrhea looks just as you would expect. I had asked because I don't know what piggy diarrhea looks like!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/45 Posts

In my experience, this usually happens when one of my pigs urinates soon after defecating. Try only giving salad every other day instead of every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Yes, I do agree with Amalee. Cut back on the salad greens, and let them fill their tummies with as much hay as possible.

On mushy poop days, I give my piggy 1 baby carrot in the morning, and 2 thin slices of capsicum, and cut back on the portion of greens to half for the rest of the day.

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,565 Rec'd/6,047 Posts

Twelve ounces of water? Are you sure they aren't just playing with the water bottle? My two don't do much more than 12 ounces in a week!

Usually, when a pig has mushy poops, the first thing to do is to take them off veggies entirely for a couple of days, and then add them back one by one until you figure out which one causes the mushy poops. In your case, I wouldn't use mixed greens until I was sure that nothing in the mix is causing it. If they still have mushy poops on only hay and pellets, then try a probiotic, such as kyodophilus, acidophilus or BeneBac. If that doesn't work, you need a vet visit, as they may have some intestinal problem going on.

Your pigs need much more than two very very thin bell pepper slices. Bell pepper is an excellent source of vitamin C, and if you're not going to give any more pepper than that, you need to supplement it some other way. My two get 1/4-1/3 of a pepper per day, depending on the size of the pepper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Twelve ounces of water? Are you sure they aren't just playing with the water bottle? My two don't do much more than 12 ounces in a week!
    I'm sure. lol. 9/10 times I check on them one of them is drinking. The bedding under the bottle is dry, so it isn't leaking. Maybe they're just really thirsty piggies?

I'm only going to give them bell pepper, pellets, and hay for a few days and see if it clears up. Once things return to normal I will add back one veggie at a time.

Thanks!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    30 Rec'd/27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSunflower View Post
    I'm sure. lol. 9/10 times I check on them one of them is drinking. The bedding under the bottle is dry, so it isn't leaking. Maybe they're just really thirsty piggies?

I'm only going to give them bell pepper, pellets, and hay for a few days and see if it clears up. Once things return to normal I will add back one veggie at a time.

Thanks!
    or diabetic piggies. Watch out for that.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I'm somewhat of a new owner. I have had my piggie for about 3 months now, but the problem is I leave her at home because I go to college. Recently my sister who is helping me take care of her, says my piggy has been pooping more often, her poop is mushy, and she's also been agitated. Usually she comes out to wait for my family to pick her up, but she's been hiding now, and she's also biting everyone and my sisters are usually her favorites. I'm worried that it's a serious issue and I don't know what to do.

We feed her timothy pellets, a lot of hay/timothy grass and we occasionally give her carrots/fresh veggies. I know that right before I went back to school this week (2 days ago) I gave her a small corner of grapefruit.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

"We feed her timothy pellets, a lot of hay/timothy grass and we occasionally give her carrots/fresh veggies".

You should give her 3 green meals a day, not occasionally.... Yes, they need constant hay and water, but the pellets just about a tablespoon/pig... With a wrong diet and low vitamin intake they can develop all kinds of health issues that might make them upset... Mine was sick and she was like that, she was biting everyone and she was really jumpy every time.

On another related subject, mushy poop might be from giving them wet veggies (when they eat wet vegetables they also might bloat), I also read this, but this also happens to me when i don't dry the food of water completely...
    Best of luck!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts

Just a thought...could the mushy poops be caused by the amount of water they are drinking? That is a lot of water per day. I know you don't want to restrict water, but I would ask a vet about that.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    83 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would cut back on veggies for a few days, and slowly re-introduce them and see which one causes the mushy poops. I second on the water, maybe that's why?

User Tag List