Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I think I just "rescued" a piggie... that was supposed to be "kid-friendly"...

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Help! I think I just "rescued" a piggie... that was supposed to be "kid-friendly"...

Hi! I just picked up an early Easter surprise for my daughter this morning. I was really excited & I was adopting him from someone I knew. I got food, a cage, bedding, and the guinea pig for $40, which seems like a good deal.

Unfortunately, he/she isn't quite what I expected. My hope is that her teen lied when she told her mom that she cleaned the cage. Right now the plastic bottom of it is soaking in the kitchen, and the poor little piggy is in a tote freaking out every time I look at him.

If you all could help me out and answer a few questions, that would be great.

1) How long is it going to continue to freak out?
    2) How do I know if it's a boy or a girl?
    3) How do I cut it's nails? They're pretty long.

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Re: Help! I think I just "rescued" a piggie... that was supposed to be "kid-friendly"

They're in a new place, they need time to acclimate, for question one. It could be anywhere from a few hours more to a few days, depending.
    And with the sexing, I believe you press gently on the spot above the genitals, and if it is a male, his, well...male parts will pop out. I think you can also see if its a female by the y shape. I think boys have more of an I.
    For the nail cutting, I recommend small animal clippers, but some swear by cat clippers. If the nails are white, don't cut too close to the pink that runs through it. That is called the quick, and will bleed when cut into. If the nails are black, I cannot help, as my pigs own mails are white hope I helped!

3. "Thank you, cavykaitlyn, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

Re: Help! I think I just "rescued" a piggie... that was supposed to be "kid-friendly"

3. If they aren't hurting the gpig, leave them for a week until he/she gets more settled.
    2. Unless you're adding another gpig right away, wait until he/she gets more settled.
    1. Every gpig is unique, but hopefully will start to settle when he/she is in a fresh, clean cage with lots of yummy hay, fresh water, a hidey, veggies, plain pellets, etc. They are prey animals, so the gpig will always be a bit skittish. Make sure the cage is big enough, and gpigs are herd animals and like to be with another gpig.

Welcome! There's lots of information that answers your questions in further detail. Some threads have pictures and ideas how to best cut nails and check gender.

5. "Thank you, R5 plus, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

Hello and welcome!!

Your poor new piggy has probably been through a lot, and needs some time to settle in. Guinea pigs are prey animals and it's in their nature to be timid. This little one needs to learn that you don't want to eat them. The best thing is to give it time. Hand feeding delicious veggies will help this pig associate you with good things. After awhile they will learn that you are not a threat.

It sounds like you have a petstore cage, which are generally way too small to house a pig in. If you look around the forum you will see that most of us use C&C cages. These cages are amazing. Easy to clean, easy to construct, economical, and super roomy for pigs to run and play. Look around the forum, you'll get some great ideas.

For sexing, have a look over these links: Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig and http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Trimming nails can be a stressful task for the first few times until you get used to it. I use cat nail clippers, I find them easier to use than human nail clippers. Everyone has their own preferences and method, you will figure out what works best for you after time. I trim off small amounts at a time until I think I'm nearing the quick. If you do happen to hit the quick, have corn starch or something similar on hand to stop the bleeding. It happens, but try to be careful. Here is another think for you on nail trimming: http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

7. "Thank you, ellisa, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Welcome to the wonderful world of guinea pigs! Hopefully your new little friend will calm down after he/she gets used to your household. @ellisa shared the sexing link, and I strongly recommend adopting a friend once you're certain of the sex. If possible, adopt a pig with a calm personality and that will help your current pig settle in, too. I got a really calm pig from Craigslist last year, and later I adopted a pig who'd belonged to a kid and who was totally nervous and flighty. My calm pig was a great influence on her, and now she's much calmer and more friendly, although still more nervous than the other one. They have very different personalities, and some never totally warm up to humans.

9. "Thank you, mufasa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Why did your friend not want the gpig?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Her daughter (14) said that it was boring and didn't want it anymore. None of her other kids cared either. So much for being "handled by kids."

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

How heart less
    PETS ARE NOT DISSPOSABLE
    can you post a pic of the gpig

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Here it is in our makeshift play area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	45190  

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

Newspaper isn't an ideal bedding, you may want to look into fleece? Please try and provide the biggest living quarters possible for the time being

This is a great site for information, welcome

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

the gpig looks like a girl and a big one was she/he ever housed with males?

Thanks
    Thanks
    380 Rec'd/274 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

@GuineaLoveer You can't tell a guinea pigs gender just by looking at their entire self, you have to look at their privates, which she didn't post a picture of (unless it just isn't showing up on my computer).

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

Whoa ditto. Gender cannot be determined by looks...

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

I know i just think she/he looks pretty

Thanks
    Thanks
    380 Rec'd/274 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaLoveer View Post
    I know i just think she/he looks pretty
    I agree, he/she is very cute!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

If he/she came out while the lights were on, he/she can't be THAT nervous for you. Often times pigs in a new place will hide out until the lights are out or until it's super quiet and they determine that it's "safe" to venture out. The fact that he/she came out while you were in the room, really says something.

21. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Awwww what a cute piggie! welcome!

23. "Thank you, Rhinos_mom, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

The newspaper is down because it was getting it's exercise. I didn't realize there was so much required of piggies until I started googling, but I still think this is a perfect pet for my little girl. He/she will be getting a new cage soon, too. Right now he's in the store bought cage that came with him. About 2x1.

Thanks
    Thanks
    71 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

It's a good thing you're researching and are on here - there's a ton of people with great info!

It took my girls a couple of months to really get comfortable around me and my daily routine - sometimes they still scatter if I drop something or do something suddenly, it really depends on the guinea pig!

Old towels are a great alternative to play time - I've got a few "GP towels" that I just handwash and dry because they're only for the piggies! Fleece is a great alternative overall! There's a ton of cage ideas on the site - they definitely helped me out when building my 2x5 (for my three girls) which will expand as well haha.

Congrats on the new ball of love! He or she is a cutie! Did you name him/her yet?

Also check out guinealynx.info for awesome info! Here is their info on nail clipping - definitely helped me! http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

And some info to help you find out if you have a boy or girl!
    http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

I used to use newspaper in my pigs' playpen. Just make sure to swap out wet pieces immediately so they don't sit on that and get bumble foot. Tent up some pieces and your pig might enjoy playing with the paper tent.

User Tag List