Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Crusted Eye? Vet soon? idk Help

Lauren Tran

Cavy Slave
So hi.. i am new and i have 2 guinea pigs. But this is not the time for a introduction it is the time for me to explain that one of my guinea pigs oreo has crusted eyes and i was wondering if i should take her to the vet i know crusted eyes are bad and i just found it today so i dont know how bad it is. The photo will be attached to this post so thanks....
Thanks -Lauren
photo.jpgphoto.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
It might just be the picture, but it doesn't seem that crusty to me??? Crusty eyes are a sign of dehydration, make sure she has lot of watery veggies. As long as she's still eating, moving around, and not losing any weight, I wouldn't worry to much. If she shows any other symptoms or the crustiness doesn't go away after a little while, you can take her to the vet :) Hope it helps and good luck.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Crusty eyes can be a sign of an upper respiratory infection or a sign of injury/illness. Sometimes it could simply be dried eye "milk". I can't really tell from the pictures, but what is the colour of the discharge and is there a lot?

If it doesn't seem to be dried eye milk then it would be wise to have a cavy savvy vet examine her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't see much crusting -- it may just be dried "cleaning" fluid that they use to groom themselves. You can get some saline eye drops and some soft pads and wipe the crusts away and see if they come back.

However, if there's any sign of an upper respiratory infection (sneezing, runny nose, etc.), then that's much more serious, and you need a vet visit. You also need to go to the vet if the crusts come back after you've gently wiped them away.

Lauren Tran

Cavy Slave
It only seems to be crusty thanks for the tips i will keep and eye on her and try the saline drops

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.