Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Aussie u-haul alternatives? Anyone had any successes?

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I have trawled the forum for weeks looking for an answer to this question! I have read ppl had found furniture blankets at Bunnings and Storage King but no-one ever said how they have performed. Has anyone tried these and can let me if they are the way to go? Currently using towels as my absorbent layer :) Thanks guys

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Bumping this, I have the exact same questions, haven't been able to find anything like a U-Haul pad anywhere.

alteclansing

Cavy Slave
Same here. Any feedback is much appreciated.

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
What are you using as your absorbent layers @MochaAndMoo and @alteclansing? I wish postage to us wasn't over $100 to get our hands on some u-haul ;) they sound magical!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
What are you using as your absorbent layers @MochaAndMoo and @alteclansing ? I wish postage to us wasn't over $100 to get our hands on some u-haul ;) they sound magical!
I use a layer of towels, but they really start to smell badly after a couple of days and because of that, I have to clean the cage every three days. I had a look at posting costs for U-haul pads, but I nearly fell of my chair looking at the price. What are you using?

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I use a layer of towels, but they really start to smell badly after a couple of days and because of that, I have to clean the cage every three days. I had a look at posting costs for U-haul pads, but I nearly fell of my chair looking at the price. What are you using?

LOL me too! I knew post from the States was silly expensive but I thought these were light weight LOL!
I too use towels (while dreaming of u-haul...) but my loungeroom does have a "farm fresh" kind of smell to it fairly quickly! Have you tried mattress protectors at all? I have seen that (mattress pads?) tossed about a bit in ideas too.. just not sure about them. Kind of feel like they would get soggy and heavy.

alteclansing

Cavy Slave
I'm going to use 2 layers bunnings felt moving blanket then 2 layers of fleece. I heard uhul pad are just recycle denims. I think it will work! What you all reckon?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
LOL me too! I knew post from the States was silly expensive but I thought these were light weight LOL!
I too use towels (while dreaming of u-haul...) but my loungeroom does have a "farm fresh" kind of smell to it fairly quickly! Have you tried mattress protectors at all? I have seen that (mattress pads?) tossed about a bit in ideas too.. just not sure about them. Kind of feel like they would get soggy and heavy.
I saw these puppy pee pads at City farmers, 30 bucks for a pack with only a couple in them though! And I haven't seen any mattress pads, I wonder if they would be cheaper. Because I am not spending thirty bucks on puppy pads when I can get 3 dollar towels at Kmart.

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
Ooooh @alteclansing you absolutley HAVE to tell us how they go!!!!

I'm with you there @MochaAndMoo, I can't justify paying so much money for something disposable that will end up as landfill!

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
I've used mattress pads, and have had fair success with them. It does depend on the pad. My favorite is from a baby crib - it's organic and thick. Some mattress pads have waterproof properties that cause the liquid to sit on top, that won't work.

Wish you could get Uhaul pads. I like them even better. Hope you can find something similar.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
You could find them in the paint dept. or a paint centre, hardware centre etc. They're called furniture or moving blankets over here, & made of recycled denim/cotton/wool. There's an old thread under the Fleece section of the Discussion threads called Blankets:Review UHaul Blankets started by Nicolene in 2010. That's where I first learned about them - it's a long but interesting thread. I don't use an absorbent layer as such although I do use old towels occasionally. I wash them every 2 days when using them..the blankets last a lot longer & absorb more according to the review. I haven't bought one yet but once I have & used it for a while I'll post results. 2 layers are recommended. Currently I use plastic tablecloth, newspapers, shower grid mats (pvc, can last up to a week before quick scrub,rinse & dry - I like to give them a rinse every 3 days, soak once a week just for hygiene), with shelf liners/grip mats on top. Not as beautiful or snuggly as fleece but quite sift & comfy - & they work like fleece.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
@alteclansing Tell us how you go!
I'm going to see if I can find some mattress pads somewhere, I hate how in Australia everytime I want to get something for my pigs I have to go on a journey to go find it >.< Took me 3 months of searching just to find grids..

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
Yes @MochaAndMoo! The 3 month search accompanied with the 3 times the price! The things we do for these furry little buggers hey ❤️
Thank you @R5 plus and @oldnewie all suggestions are most welcome!!!

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
I just saw on the Bunnings advertisements that 'Moving blankets' were on sale. They're around $10 and the dimensions are 1mx2m I think.

MissPiggyAus

Cavy Slave
I'm currently trailing the bunnings moving blankets ATM. I previously used towels as my absorbent layer, so I'm interested to see the results. Oh and just a FYI for anyone looking to try the blankets.... They drop a lot of fluff in your washing machine! So I make sure to run a rinse cycle afterwards and clean out the debris filter.

MissPiggyAus

Cavy Slave
I just saw on the Bunnings advertisements that 'Moving blankets' were on sale. They're around $10 and the dimensions are 1mx2m I think.

i have a 2x 3 cage and one blanket was more than enough to make 2 absorbent layers :)

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm currently trailing the bunnings moving blankets ATM. I previously used towels as my absorbent layer, so I'm interested to see the results. Oh and just a FYI for anyone looking to try the blankets.... They drop a lot of fluff in your washing machine! So I make sure to run a rinse cycle afterwards and clean out the debris filter.
That's a bit exciting MissPiggy! Be sure to let us know how you go, I am hoping its a brilliant review :p

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i'm not from australia but i tried looking online for U-haul pads too and choked on the shipping costs. i think some good alternatives are washable puppy pee pads, although the initial cost might average about $60USD to line a whole cage if you buy it online. probably best to check a pet store!

Currently i use 2 towels with SKYDDA LÄTT Mattress protector - Single - IKEA (mattress protector, works well!). i don't think i have a smell issue?

as for not being able to get uhaul pads... take comfort in knowing they 'shed' alot the first few washes and they shrink. :O

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
i'm not from australia but i tried looking online for U-haul pads too and choked on the shipping costs. i think some good alternatives are washable puppy pee pads, although the initial cost might average about $60USD to line a whole cage if you buy it online. probably best to check a pet store!

Currently i use 2 towels with SKYDDA LÄTT Mattress protector - Single - IKEA (mattress protector, works well!). i don't think i have a smell issue?

as for not being able to get uhaul pads... take comfort in knowing they 'shed' alot the first few washes and they shrink. :O

LOL it is a bit drastic that postage charge :p
I didn't know you could get washable puppy pee pads, I will have to have a look at the scary postage on them :p
I have an Ikea tho! Thanks @Varcoda, I might have to take a trip to Ikea... what a shaaaaaame, I love Ikea!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
you're most welcome :D hope they sell it in a local store instead though, i really don't like paying more shipping than what the item costs! at least you guys don't have the insane norwegian tax of 30% AND handling fees..............

and yess gotta love Ikea! cheap little guinea pig things we can find there :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.