Thanks
    Thanks
    202 Rec'd/149 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

Re: That Orlando Craigslist Spammer Again

I don't need to know this guy or visit his place to know he's not reputable, the single fact that he is advertising rabbits as pets for Easter is more then enough to condemn him in my eyes. NO reputable rescue would ever advertise an animal as a present for a holiday. In fact, all that I know of tell you NOT to get an animal for any given holiday; including puppies for Christmas and rabbits and chicks for Easter because of the high turn-in rate shortly thereafter. Their goal is to keep animals from being given to rescues not to advertise their animals so that the cycle continues.

On top of it, shoving 7 MALE guinea pigs (that I counted anyway) into a ridiculously small pen (looked like a 2x2 C&C, I highly doubt the "donated" cage is much bigger since there is no pictures) and then laughing about it on his OWN facebook page with another person about how they are getting along for once. Seriously, WTF? That is his OWN picture, nobody came in and "staged" it or made him out to look bad, he's doing a fine job of that himself.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

ETA: BTW, there is no hay, I see mostly empty bowls filled with litter and no veggies or remnants of veggies for the guinea pigs. I don't see how anybody can support that or think it's "correct" care. I also find it appalling anybody would support this man.
    Last edited by Carissa6729; 03-20-13 at 11:06 am.

2. "Thank you, Carissa6729, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKrochet View Post
    In response to the Caboodle guy, unless you have actually been there BEFORE peta came out here, you would understand why we support him. Peta came in, trashed his place, and made it look horrible. I was out there personally months before peta "took care of the situation", and it was NOTHING like that.
    I've often wondered about Caboodle because I've read information on both sides of the story, and I know things can be made to look worse than they are when you're taking selective photos/video. The condition of some of the cats that were pulled is what makes me think "hoarder," although I've read some good points on the supporter side, too. I wonder why he, specifically, was targeted by PETA. That's one thing I've never really seen much written about.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I have been to his rescue, and I am very critical about animal care in general. I have had rabbits in the past and know how awful they can stink. They did not stink at all, here, and my husband and I admired how back to nature his rabbit habitats were. They COULD be in small cages.. but they aren't. They were clean, and healthy, and friendly. No one here is in any position to criticize his prices for adoption -- because, after all, he has mostly rescues and food isn't free!

So, honestly, if you want to make a difference, adopt some of the pigs there. He was a very friendly guy (young) who has a passion for animals and takes good care of what he has. If you don't like his selling tactics, then nicely email him and tell him. But flagging someone who rescues a majority of his animals does more damage, then good.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I also want to point out the cages. They were for "small animals" but that really could be for anything. Most likely he got these at bulk and is selling them to support his rescue. If you Central FL people are so concerned, volunteer to help. Get to know him and his family. Make a difference in the lives of the rabbits by contributing to their care and placement. Don't just sit back and flag. That does nothing.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
    I've often wondered about Caboodle because I've read information on both sides of the story, and I know things can be made to look worse than they are when you're taking selective photos/video. The condition of some of the cats that were pulled is what makes me think "hoarder," although I've read some good points on the supporter side, too. I wonder why he, specifically, was targeted by PETA. That's one thing I've never really seen much written about.
    I've wondered this too. Surely with 500+ cats, you can't always know which are sick or have gone off and died somewhere on some 30 acres of property. While it does look like hoarding conditions, I think it would make more sense for people to just go in there and HELP because obviously one person can not do it himself. Are there any accounts other than PETA of people who have been to this ranch? PETA is known for being off the wall crazy (with good intentions) but over the top. Anyone, with a mission to do something, can spin things in their favor.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLyrae View Post
    I have been to his rescue, and I am very critical about animal care in general. ... They COULD be in small cages.. but they aren't.
    I'm confused--is he or is he not keeping animals in conditions like this?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=2048%2C1536

And if he is not, why would he be posting these pictures? It sounds to me like you only saw part of the business--he probably only allows people to look at the rabbits while they're in the run, not in the actual cages. Based on his posts, he does not actually keep them outside where you saw them. He just lets them out sometimes. Occasional outdoor time does NOT make up for keeping sixteen rabbits in a single-rabbit-sized wire-bottomed cage with no food or water the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLyrae View Post
    I also want to point out the cages. They were for "small animals" but that really could be for anything. Most likely he got these at bulk and is selling them to support his rescue.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

If you read the comments, he is very clearly selling this cage for rabbits. He is also selling cedar bedding (which is probably why, along with the wire-bottomed cages, his rabbits don't stink. That is not necessarily the sign of a healthy pet). And he is ignoring or outright refuting anyone who tries to tell him these conditions are dangerous.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but what we're seeing in the pictures is definitely bad. I wish I knew someone in the area who could go check it out in person and confirm these conditions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

The other part that bothers me is, if he is indeed rescuing (and it sounds like he does take in rescues) and has so much trouble finding homes for them that he has to spam Craigslist with an obnoxious number of ads, why on earth is he doing any breeding at all, even on a limited basis? He sees how many rabbits need homes, and he's gonna see a heck of a lot more after Easter, so I think that would be a huge inspiration to stop breeding entirely and focus on rescue. Also, he's violating the Craigslist terms when he posts any non-rescues and also their spamming rules for the constant stream of ads. That's why he gets himself flagged. He needs to tone down the huge ad volume. I think it turns as many people off as it attracts to buy/adopt his animals.

User Tag List