Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size What size cage do I need?

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
Hi, at the moment I have 7 boars living in a 6ft long by 5ft wide by 4ft high cage, I'm looking at getting 3 more boars tomorrow and was wondering if my cage would be big enough? Whether I need to extend it? How I could extend it etc. I have a 2ft wide by 4ft long run I could attach to the side but not sure whether this will make much of a difference?

any help would be great.

Thanks!

also (silly question) two of my pigs have ripped ears, is there anything a vet can do to make them look normal such as stitching them?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well i dont have answers about the cage size, but i have a answer to the ripped ears. how long have hey been that way? My pig, Darwynn has had litrle tears in his ears since i adopted him 6 months ago. it doesnt seem to hurt him, so im fine with them.

Welcome to the forum,and I hope some one else could answer your Q about cqge size! :
P.S i eont think a vet dould do much to help a little tear, it would depend on how big the tear is.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Well, that certainly is a big cage, wherever do you put it?! lol I THINK, if my calculations are correct, that the cage you have now is about the right size for 7 pigs. However, as they are all boars, and you are adding more, they should have the absolute max amount of space possible. If I was you, I would try to extend.

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
Gforcepiggies: well one of the was ripped when i bought him and its a large tear and the other i noticed the other day it's as if a chunk is missing, ruins his look really :/

SophieBunny: yeah okay, not sure how to extend a wooden cage though :p

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
the other i noticed the other day it's as if a chunk is missing, ruins his look really :/

That statement makes me really sad. You should be more worried about the fact that your pig may have been injured rather then worrying about it 'ruining his looks.'

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Gforcepiggies: well one of the was ripped when i bought him and its a large tear and the other i noticed the other day it's as if a chunk is missing, ruins his look really :/

SophieBunny: yeah okay, not sure how to extend a wooden cage though :p

It might help if we could see a picture of the cage. If it isn't possible to extend, I don't know that it would be a good idea to get more pigs.

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
Of course I cared that he was injured, it's healed up well. All I'm saying is there's a big chunk gone so now he looks a bit weird is all.

I'll see if I can get a photo, the walls are fine to extend it's just the floor really, going to take out the partitions to the bedrooms to give that extra space and take out some toys and pigloos, then see where to go from there

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Also keep in mind that if you add more pigs it will change the group dynamics and you could easily end up with 10 pigs that totally hate each other, start fighting, and end up with several cages with smaller groups because they just won't get along.

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
yeah :/ well ive got a spare smaller cage in case i do need to seperate and i could seperate up the big cage if that happens, but thanks :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.