Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Re: Vitamin C Questions

Perfect! That was what I was looking for. The man at WAPC sent me this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	44433
    So I thought the pet store would have a vet she could go to if necessary. But then the next comment made me second guess him... What do you all think?
    And yeah, I'm sure the shelter would know how to do things, my sister volunteers there and they so great

Cavy Star
    Thanks
    Thanks
    47 Rec'd/33 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

@cavykaitlyn Personally I wouldn't bring a sick pet back to a pet store to have pet replaced. It makes it sound like this pet store sees animals as only merchandise. I would try to get animal treated at a shelter that knows what it is doing. I am fortunate enough to be able to save up for vet fund before we get guinea pigs and I am an adult without dependence on another to get to vets. I'm not sure what I would do if an emergency came up and I was not able to go to vets or something.

Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

I made the mistake of buying our guinea pigs at the pet store (before I knew better), and when one had a crusty eye (within a day of getting her) and the other a crusty ear (that developed rapidly after getting her), I refused to take them to the pet store vet. Instead, I took them to our local vet (who deals with small animals and exotics) and took my receipts to the pet store. The pet store couldn't reimburse me for the vet costs, but they did reimburse for the medications that were needed within the first 14 days of ownership. After 14 days, all costs were no longer covered. My fear of taking them back to the pet store was that I would never see our pets again. It would be easier for them to replace the pet than it would be for them to treat the pet....at least, that was my fear.

As far as the vitamin c goes, if you could even get a couple of green peppers every couple weeks or so, then SOME fresh veggies are better than NO fresh veggies. Green peppers are pretty inexpensive. I have no experience with the supplements, so I can't offer any advice there.

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Yeah, I think our shelter is www.winchesterspca.org if I am not mistaken. They do spaying and neutering and things over there so I am sure they have some kind of vet on site. They don't often have small animals up for adoption (but I have heard their rabbit price is $15 to adopt and all others $1--phenomenal for if they have pigs!) but when they do the people that work and volunteer there take good care of them. I got a gerbil, who was one out of four brothers, and my sister brought home the other three later. Unfortunately my gerbil, Piff (Epiphany) had a seizure and died on Christmas Eve a few years ago. My sister's gerbils, Steve, Hank, and Elroy, were doing well, but Elroy got brained by his brothers, apparently (why is unbeknownst to me), Steve just recently passed from age, but Hank is alive and well! It was in 2010 or 11 that I first got mine, so we're lucky that he's still with us after all this time.
    I feel very bad that I "purchased" her from a pet store. At first I assumed that since the store was getting some rave reviews from my friends that it would be okay, but everyone's kept in tanks (EVERYONE--from the bunnies to the hedgehogs, to the passed mice and guinea pigs). Some have open tops (the rabbits do for sure, as do the guinea pigs, the ferrets' tank got closed after a biting incident with one of my sister's friends), but most are suffering inside. They used to have hamsters and other small rodents, but they were kept in Petco-like situations with tanks that rolled out of the wall, which I have no doubt would mean it would get very hot, smelly, and stuffy inside of. The pigs barely have room to turn.
    But she has a good life right now, she gets to play often and she's being upgraded from this: Hagen Living World Deluxe Habitat Small Animal Cage | Wayfair
    To a 2x3 C&C in July or very early August.
    The shelter is a great idea, thank you all! I will contact them when necessary!

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Hey guys, I have another problem...she doesn't like the tabs! She'll try to nibble in them but I think they're too hard for her to eat...anyone have any ideas? I can't get a new kind of supplement, can someone tell me how I can make these tabs easier on her? I managed to get her to eat 3/4 of one but it took a LONG time, and I can't go through that every day (I had to rub her mouth with it and basically put it in there myself). Can I crush it and like, put the pieces in something? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MochaAndMoo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    458 Rec'd/301 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cavykaitlyn View Post
    Hey guys, I have another problem...she doesn't like the tabs! She'll try to nibble in them but I think they're too hard for her to eat...anyone have any ideas? I can't get a new kind of supplement, can someone tell me how I can make these tabs easier on her? I managed to get her to eat 3/4 of one but it took a LONG time, and I can't go through that every day (I had to rub her mouth with it and basically put it in there myself). Can I crush it and like, put the pieces in something? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Crush the tablets into pieces and mix with water and then syringe feed, the ENTIRE tablet is a bit of and overkill, I would only give half.

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Okay thank you! It said to give her a whole one so I went by that...but this sounds good to me! *nods in approval*

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

try growing things like cilantro, or parsley

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    I do give my pigs the Oxbow Vitamin C tablets. They get a good variety of vegetables and always have hay but the tablet is sort of a little treat they get each evening. I know a lot of pigs won't touch the tablets, but three of mine really like them, the fourth pig just takes it because she doesn't want the other pig to get it.
    My husband and I have a morning routine with our 4 pigs. We have no problem with them taking their Vit C! In fact, they are somewhat eager about it! It's part of our 1:1 time with each one of them. They also know they get treats right after! No problem!

User Tag List