Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Bringing the runt home! Any suggestions?

KimmiA

Cavy Slave
hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I've been a long time reader, trying to gain as much knowledge as I could before I bring home my little pig :)

I'm taking a baby aby sow off the hands of a friend, seeing as she has no room to take care for her. She told me that she is the runt of the litter, and held longer than her other pups because of her size. She's finally weened from her mother, however, is there anything special I should do to care for her?

Also, in preparation, I got a bag of Timothy hay- but I understand that Alfalfa would be better? Should I go back to the store and exchange this for alfalfa?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She should get timothy or orchard grass hay at all times. You can give her alfalfa for a treat, but the mainstay should be timothy or orchard grass (or bluegrass).

The best thing you can do for her is adopt her a companion. Guinea pigs need companionship of their own species. I don't believe a pig can be truly happy without one. And it makes me sad to think of her being all alone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.