Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Breeds/Varieties

Riot101

Cavy Slave
It was really difficult to get my judging license but it was well worth it hey! I ADORE seeing all the diff breeds and colour varieties on the table...In South Africa the judged pigs are treated like royalty...Not like some places I've heard of that are sticking pigs in small boxes and soooo many people around them. SA judging is completely different!

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Sound really nice, I wish it was more like that here :)

Samantha0701

Cavy Slave
Can you tell me what breed and colors mine are?
Samantha is on the left (I'm thinking she might be Abyssinian?)....and Smoothie is on the right.

IMG_3813.jpg

Another picture of Samantha
IMG_3380.jpg

And another of Smoothie
IMG_3816.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Can you tell me what breed and colors mine are?
Samantha is on the left (I'm thinking she might be Abyssinian?)....and Smoothie is on the right.

View attachment 54692

Another picture of Samantha
View attachment 54693

And another of Smoothie
View attachment 54694

Samantha is indeed an Abby, for her variety, she's a red, chocolate, and white broken. Smoothie looks like a silkie/american mix (unless you clipped her hair?), TSW (tortoiseshell and white) for color. :) very cute piggies, hope this is helpful!

woops! now that I'm looking closer, Samantha's "chocolate" looks more like golden agouti. Are her hairs one color, or are they black with a red tip? (in the brown patches)

chas25

Cavy Slave
I know the breeds of mine (short haired and abby) but I'm curious what their colors are classified as.

photo (15).jpgphoto (12).jpgphoto (9).jpgphoto (8).jpg

Skinny Wilbur

Cavy Slave
This is Wilbur. What is he other than a skinny pig? I'm trying to learn all I can a out piggies since I must got him. He was born 5-17-13. I love this little naked guy. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Attachments

image.jpg

Samantha0701

Cavy Slave
Samantha is indeed an Abby, for her variety, she's a red, chocolate, and white broken. Smoothie looks like a silkie/american mix (unless you clipped her hair?), TSW (tortoiseshell and white) for color. :) very cute piggies, hope this is helpful!

woops! now that I'm looking closer, Samantha's "chocolate" looks more like golden agouti. Are her hairs one color, or are they black with a red tip? (in the brown patches)

Thank you so much!

No we didn't clip Smoothie's hair.

About Samantha.....the area of her red hair that looks darker (I think the area you first thought was chocolate)....it's a mix of red, white, and black(or dark brown).....kind of a "salt and pepper" with red mixed in. So is that considered golden agouti?

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
I'd love to know more about Fluff:

005.jpg006.jpg009.jpg010.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
I know the breeds of mine (short haired and abby) but I'm curious what their colors are classified as.

View attachment 54794View attachment 54795View attachment 54796View attachment 54797

Very cute! Your abby, and the pig in the last picture are the only two that throw me off, since it can be hard to see colors very well on a photo. The dark color on the abby, and on the other pig, do they look black to you? Or a very dark chocolate color?

The second piggie is a dilute agouti and white broken, and the other is a black and white broken. :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
This is Wilbur. What is he other than a skinny pig? I'm trying to learn all I can a out piggies since I must got him. He was born 5-17-13. I love this little naked guy. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Oh I LOVE the skinnies!!! :D There's not really a good way to tell the color on them since they have no hair, but I'm seeing mostly white. Though the back foot has red toenails. So I'm not for sure, but my guess would be a red and white broken, a golden agouti and white broken, or even a TSW.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!

No we didn't clip Smoothie's hair.

About Samantha.....the area of her red hair that looks darker (I think the area you first thought was chocolate)....it's a mix of red, white, and black(or dark brown).....kind of a "salt and pepper" with red mixed in. So is that considered golden agouti?

What the golden agouti is, is a black hair, with a red tip. Sometimes they can have a bit of salt and pepper in it, but it's not really part of the agouti color.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave

Adorable name! Fluff is a Teddy/American mix for the breed. The variety would be dilute agouti, cream, and white broken.

What broken means is that there are patches of multiple colors (that don't make up a pattern like dalmatian, or dutch). The white is obviously the white patches, the cream is the light orange patch, and the dilute agouti is the darker patch. There are a couple different types of dilute agoutis, but Fluff has lemon agouti; a black based hair, with cream tips. :)

primadonna

Cavy Slave
020.jpg
_DSC0119.jpg_DSC0128.jpg021.jpg
I would love you to help identify 2 of my guinea pigs. The brown faced one Dexter, has 4 swirls but his cheeks are really puffy. Everyone says he looks like the gopher from caddyshack. The white and brown one has about 12 swirls all over there are 5 that form a circle making this patch of hair on his rear stick straight up. His fur is really soft and his hair on top of the head sticks straight up. I know the pictures aren't ideal but the brown and white one is also my avatar. Any idea on what breed they are would be great. I also have a black smooth coat big guinea pig. Hes 6 months and bigger then Dexter who is 9. He is all black with one swirl on top of his head in the middle of this white patch. I've never seen anything like it. You can kind of see it in the picture below.
IMG_1586.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
@Skinny Wilbur, I'd actually like to change my answer real quick. I don't really know a lot about the skinnies, so I did some quick research, and I think your pig is completely white, or 'self white' being the term. Even though the back claws are dark, the skin around them isn't, sometimes the genetics will just throw some random colored nails.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
View attachment 54826
View attachment 54827View attachment 54828View attachment 54829
I would love you to help identify 2 of my guinea pigs. The brown faced one Dexter, has 4 swirls but his cheeks are really puffy. Everyone says he looks like the gopher from caddyshack. The white and brown one has about 12 swirls all over there are 5 that form a circle making this patch of hair on his rear stick straight up. His fur is really soft and his hair on top of the head sticks straight up. I know the pictures aren't ideal but the brown and white one is also my avatar. Any idea on what breed they are would be great. I also have a black smooth coat big guinea pig. Hes 6 months and bigger then Dexter who is 9. He is all black with one swirl on top of his head in the middle of this white patch. I've never seen anything like it. You can kind of see it in the picture below.
View attachment 54830

Your first pictures, with the brown and white piggie is a Abyssinian/peruvian mix. The variety would be a red and white broken. The second pig, with the brown face, is an Abyssinian, that ones variety is a golden agouti, red, and white broken. And your last piggie is a white crested. Usually only the crest is white, but his white just seems to be a bit out of place. His variety would be a self black. Let me know if you want me to explain a bit more about any of the breeds, or terms :) Cute piggies!

primadonna

Cavy Slave
Thank you soooo much. Do different breeds have different personalities? Dexter is really funny he has so much personality but he only wants to be held if I have food. Brownie the one with all day bed head is very sweet he crawls onto my hand to be picked up but is pretty food motivated like Dexter. And Sheldon the one with the bald spot is very sweet he loves to snuggle and would lie in your lap all day, he doesn't even move when I give him a bath he is also by far the biggest. thank you soo much for the info this is great.

chas25

Cavy Slave
Very cute! Your abby, and the pig in the last picture are the only two that throw me off, since it can be hard to see colors very well on a photo. The dark color on the abby, and on the other pig, do they look black to you? Or a very dark chocolate color?

The second piggie is a dilute agouti and white broken, and the other is a black and white broken. :)

On the abby (Eclipse) the darker color looks black and dark grey not really brown but on the pig in the last pic (Ella) it is definitely a chocolate brown.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Thank you soooo much. Do different breeds have different personalities? Dexter is really funny he has so much personality but he only wants to be held if I have food. Brownie the one with all day bed head is very sweet he crawls onto my hand to be picked up but is pretty food motivated like Dexter. And Sheldon the one with the bald spot is very sweet he loves to snuggle and would lie in your lap all day, he doesn't even move when I give him a bath he is also by far the biggest. thank you soo much for the info this is great.

There really isn't a huge personality difference between the breeds, if any at all, each pigs got it's own personality. There are some breeds that seem a little different though. Abyssinians tend to be really jumpy and energetic xD They have "Abbytudes"

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
On the abby (Eclipse) the darker color looks black and dark grey not really brown but on the pig in the last pic (Ella) it is definitely a chocolate brown.

Well then I'm going to say that Eclipse is a TSW (tortoiseshell and white) and Ella is a chocolate, cream, and white broken :)

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Adorable name! Fluff is a Teddy/American mix for the breed. The variety would be dilute agouti, cream, and white broken.

What broken means is that there are patches of multiple colors (that don't make up a pattern like dalmatian, or dutch). The white is obviously the white patches, the cream is the light orange patch, and the dilute agouti is the darker patch. There are a couple different types of dilute agoutis, but Fluff has lemon agouti; a black based hair, with cream tips. :)

That's incredible - thanks! She sounds so complex and fancy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.