Thread: Hello! I have questions! Please help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hello! I have questions! Please help!

I have talked to my parents about getting 2 female guinea pigs. I just have a couple of questions. I really need to be prepared.
    1. Do guinea pigs smell bad? If they do, what can I do to help it?
    2. What is their sleep pattern? Will it disrupt my sleep or my family's?
    3. What kind of morning/daily routine will I need?
    4. Any other tips?

If you hep I will be thankful!!!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/24 Posts

Re: Hello! I have questions! Please help!

1. Yes,well at least for me... Alot of people here use fleece as bedding,but I find it even though it is easier to clean,it just absorbs the smell and makes it worse. I use pine which some members say it can be dangerous for them,but I have never had an issue with it.
    2. Guinea pigs do not have a certain sleep pattern. They are not nocturnal,but do get active during the night. Each guinea pig varies. Mine personally are more active in the day,and go to sleep around 8:00,waking up near 6:00 am.
    3.You'll need to re-fill their water bottle(s),give them veggies and pellets.
    4. I reccomend adopting from a shelter,or a re-homing ad (ex: Craigslist) and using a c and c cage or an alternative.
    Good luck and don't forget to post pigtures!

3. "Thank you, bubblepig, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Guinea pigs don't usually smell as long as you keep up with their cage. They sleep in 20 minutes (or so) cycles. They will be up during the night! How heavy/light a sleeper you are and where you keep the cage will dictate if they disrupt your sleep. They need pellets, fresh veggies, and lots of hay. They will need a decent sized cage to run around (no a pet store cage). They will also need floor time and lap time. There is LOTS of helpful tips and tricks all over this forum, just start browsing and you will learn a LOT.

5. "Thank you, GuineaGal2013, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Blog Entries

1) Nope, not if you keep them clean, take out poos and bedding where they have weed if you use sawdust. Clean them out and they'll be clean and smelling fresh.
    2) It might disrupt your sleep slightly, what room are you planning on putting them in? Guinea pigs sleep at night but not really for long and sort of nap and then wake up again. Some people posted on here the other day about their piggies getting up in middle of the night and running around for a bit.
    3) They'll need feeding you can feed them maybe when you get up? Give them fresh water, pellets and maybe some veggies?
    4) Research guinea pigs some more before getting some? It's very useful

7. "Thank you, addictivejuliet, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner bguardguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts

1. Just like with any animal, including yourself, guinea pigs can smell bad. However, there are many steps that can be taken in order to alleviate the odor caused by animals. Small animals in general have the horrible reputation as smelling horrible. However, they are confined to a small area and are completely dependent on the owner to change and clean up after them. Animals such as cat's and dogs smell, but often times they are given full run of the house, so this odor is spread out over a larger space. Imagine if every time you used the bathroom, you could not flush. You just kept going to the bathroom in the same room, of course it would smell bad after time. However, as for an actual fix for the smell, you can clean more frequently. Many users on this website use fleece bedding that can be washed in the washing machine. With two to three changes of fleece, you could be washing no more than a couple of towels and a piece of fleece every few days. So not that much more clothing. This would help to alleviate the smell if there is any.
    2. Being small animals, they generally have strange sleep patterns. They sleep at odd times of the day and night and upon waking have loads of energy. Mine particularly likes to run laps right as I turn the lights off and get in bed. However, after a few minutes he chills out and I do not hear him or wake through the rest of the night. I have my piggie in my bedroom, and if my door is shut, you can not hear his wheeking in other rooms, except for possibly the hall outside of my bedroom. However, every pig is different and some will be more vocal than others, and each ones sleep patterns differ. It should not disrupt you or your family's sleep. If this is a concern you can put him in a far off room such as a laundry room or the living room and not near the bedrooms just in case.
    3. For me, I have a morning routine of sweeping up poo and throwing it away out of the cage. I then check to make sure he has enough fresh water to last till I get home from work, shopping, school, etc. I do the same for the pellets and hay as well. When I get home I generally recheck everything and spot clean the cage.( This takes approximately 5 minutes to do and is super easy) Then later on in the day I let him have about forty minutes or more of lap time while watching a show or doing stuff on the internet. I will also give him some floor time in the bathrooom floor just so he has some more time to run around. Most generally do this while doing homework or chores etc..
    4. It is really recommend to have the correct size cage. Having a smaller cage can drastically reduce their lifespans. I recommend researching more into guinea pig diets, determinning the sex so as to not missex them and end up with babies, common guinea pig ailments, and having some kind of plan with your parents to pay vet bills if something were to happen. Also, please look into adopting as there are more than likely many in your area that are in need of a good home, instead of purchasing one from a pet store. They often times have many different ages in shelters as well.

9. "Thank you, bguardguy, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thank you. I plan on having them in my room. I have done a lot of research and these were just things my parents wanted me to ask someone who has them So thank you!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts

I find that fleece cuts down on odor. I was using kiln dried pine shavings for about 2 weeks until my piggy bedspreads came in and the smell was horrible! Whatever method you use just keep up on the cleaning. I religiously sweep the fleece everyday before veggie time. There is a veggie chart somewhere on this site that tells how often to feed fruits and veggies. It is probably one of the most important tools I have encountered here. It helps me watch Penelope's calcium intake, as I think she has urine grit. If I was a computer genius I would post the link but I don't know how to. Do a search for "veggie chart" and I am sure you will find it. That's what I did. Most importantly, check out this entire website, and when you ask questions please take the advice. These people know what they're talking about...I promise! Oh, and we like pigtures.

12. "Thank you, MLT2007, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/28 Posts

Guinea pigs don't smell bad as long as you keep the cage clean, If you have a C&C cage (2x4 is a good size for 2 girls) you can sweep up the poos on the fleece. I had my girls in my room, they can get used to your scuedual and when the lights are out they calm down and go to sleep. They shouldn't disturb your or your family's sleep. It depends what time set giving them veggies in the morning/afternoon/evening (i keep girls on 10:30AM) http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html here's a link for all veggies/fruits they can have, don't go over board with fruits they have to much sugar in them as they can cause serious digestive problems. And here's some more tips! You ca only give them a bath if they are dirty or if you are introducing a new one to the herd.And if you use fleece have something absorbant underneath it. For food, Unlimited hay,(under 6 months alfalfa hay. Above 6 months timmothy hay) Same fore pellets under months alfafla based pellets above 6months timmothy based pellets. And unlimited water(as everyone and animals need) No pellets with seeds or colorful bits. That counts for treats aswell. Last thing, Guinea pigs can't have wheels, or the balls to run in. thats for hamsters/rats/mice/ and i think cinchillas? I could be wrong.

A lot to read! sorry about that!

14. "Thank you, MummyOf5Piggies, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kansasbff View Post
    1. Do guinea pigs smell bad? If they do, what can I do to help it?
    No. They don't smell bad. What might smell if not taken care of regularly is the bedding. Spot clean daily. Major clean weekly.

2. What is their sleep pattern? Will it disrupt my sleep or my family's?
    Guinea pigs are what is called diurnal meaning they sleep in small increments through the day. If they aren't kept in a bedroom, it should have no impact on your sleep.

3. What kind of morning/daily routine will I need?
    That part is up to you. Most folks feed 2-3 times/day. Spot cleaning daily. Lap/floor time daily.

16. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/24 Posts

I knew I forgot something! Yes,they need lots of hay! And to keep the cage not smelling like a dumpster,clean it every three days.

18. "Thank you, bubblepig, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bguardguy View Post
    1. Just like with any animal, including yourself, guinea pigs can smell bad. However, there are many steps that can be taken in order to alleviate the odor caused by animals. Small animals in general have the horrible reputation as smelling horrible. However, they are confined to a small area and are completely dependent on the owner to change and clean up after them. Animals such as cat's and dogs smell, but often times they are given full run of the house, so this odor is spread out over a larger space. Imagine if every time you used the bathroom, you could not flush. You just kept going to the bathroom in the same room, of course it would smell bad after time. However, as for an actual fix for the smell, you can clean more frequently. Many users on this website use fleece bedding that can be washed in the washing machine. With two to three changes of fleece, you could be washing no more than a couple of towels and a piece of fleece every few days. So not that much more clothing. This would help to alleviate the smell if there is any.
    2. Being small animals, they generally have strange sleep patterns. They sleep at odd times of the day and night and upon waking have loads of energy. Mine particularly likes to run laps right as I turn the lights off and get in bed. However, after a few minutes he chills out and I do not hear him or wake through the rest of the night. I have my piggie in my bedroom, and if my door is shut, you can not hear his wheeking in other rooms, except for possibly the hall outside of my bedroom. However, every pig is different and some will be more vocal than others, and each ones sleep patterns differ. It should not disrupt you or your family's sleep. If this is a concern you can put him in a far off room such as a laundry room or the living room and not near the bedrooms just in case.
    3. For me, I have a morning routine of sweeping up poo and throwing it away out of the cage. I then check to make sure he has enough fresh water to last till I get home from work, shopping, school, etc. I do the same for the pellets and hay as well. When I get home I generally recheck everything and spot clean the cage.( This takes approximately 5 minutes to do and is super easy) Then later on in the day I let him have about forty minutes or more of lap time while watching a show or doing stuff on the internet. I will also give him some floor time in the bathrooom floor just so he has some more time to run around. Most generally do this while doing homework or chores etc..
    4. It is really recommend to have the correct size cage. Having a smaller cage can drastically reduce their lifespans. I recommend researching more into guinea pig diets, determinning the sex so as to not missex them and end up with babies, common guinea pig ailments, and having some kind of plan with your parents to pay vet bills if something were to happen. Also, please look into adopting as there are more than likely many in your area that are in need of a good home, instead of purchasing one from a pet store. They often times have many different ages in shelters as well.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! in case anyone is wondering I hope to have a 2x4 C&C cage, I will use fleece, 2 water bottles, etc. Thanks to everyone else who helped A LOT! This can definitely help me.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is good your parents want information from actual piggy owners smart parents. They are more than welcome to join the site, browse the forums, and ask any and all questions they have.

21. "Thank you, GuineaGal2013, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner bguardguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts

No problem. Also, if your parents have any more concerns feel free to message me and I will give you a response as soon as I can. If you have any questions as well, feel free to send me a message.

23. "Thank you, bguardguy, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

from someone that has and has had ALOT of animals in her house...I might be out there by myself in this..but they do have a certain smell to them. If you pick one up and smell it, lmao, you can definately smell "their smell". It's not exactly bad...just a certain type of smell. They dont actually give off any scents though.
    My husband says they dont smell at all, what smells is their poop. That can be taken care of easily by cleaning like everyone has mentioned. I also find an air purifier right by the cage keeps the air smelling fresh and cleaning with vinegar. If you put out a small container filled with vinger it will absorb the bad odors and the vinegar smell will go away shortly leaving you nice clean smelling air. LOL.

25. "Thank you, Force pigs, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,525 Rec'd/6,013 Posts

In my experience, guinea pigs don't smell at all unless they have long skirts that aren't kept clean. If they drag the hair through their pee and get poop matted in the hair, it will smell. But if you keep the hair trimmed, they won't smell at all.

What WILL smell is peed-on hay, or a cage that's not kept clean. The bigger the cage, the easier it is to keep the smell down. Some people love fleece, some hate it (me included). Some love pellets, others dislike the weight. Some people use aspen shavings, others use carefresh. Almost anything will work as long as you keep the poop scooped up and the wet hay off of it.

If the pigs are in your room and you're a light sleeper, they may wake you up. They're crepuscular animals, and in spite of what that sounds like, it doesn't mean that they have really bad acne. It means they're more active at dawn and dusk. Their usual pattern of activity is eat, sleep, eat, sleep, run around a little, eat, sleep, eat, sleep. Oh, and poop, in between and during all those other activities -- it's what they do best.

They're actually better off in the room where the family spends the most time. They'll be more social that way, and you'll be more aware of any problems that might develop with them.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

27. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List