Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Preventing Coroplast Chewing

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Binder Edging and Chewing

I can't buy binder edging from the C&C cages store, but I can't seem to find much under 'binder edging' here in the UK. Does it go by a different name or can anyone recommend where to find some?

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Re: Binder Edging and Chewing

Can anybody help? BUMP

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Okay so I am going to get started on making the coroplast base that I finally have got round to getting for their cage, but the problem is my guinea pigs are always chewing anything they can get their teeth into - plastic, wood (not the grids on their cage or the fleece though...) so I am worried about them chewing on the correx. I can't find any binder edging so what do you suggest I do?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Re: Binder Edging and Chewing

Do you have places where you purchase posters, office supplies & such in the UK? I think they're also called binder/slide bars.
I used them to hang & keep my posters straight when I was a kid.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Do you have an Office Max there? That's where I got mine--
(broken link removed)

They have black ones, too.

Or, you might want to make the fleece come up over the edge and use clips to keep it in place.

bree1818

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this helps, but I used linoleum underneath, and then on the sides and hooked the fleece up and over it and clipped it to the grids.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Try amazon UK too. I know they have them at amazon US.

Have they chewed the coro before? Because I have a major chewer too and he chewed everything, including the coro. But if they have not chewed it yet and you can make the sides a bit higher (maybe 8 inches?) so they can't reach it, maybe they won't start the bad habit.

Even though my pig was a big chewer, he was also a lone pig and now that he has buddies, he hasn't chewed the coro at all, though he still chews his willow ball and TP tubes.
He's also a burrower and I realized when he chewed the coro he was trying to burrow under the fleece. I changed how I did my fleece and gave him a small blanket to burrow under and I think that also helped the chewing.
He's only been in his new cage a week but no coro chewing at all so far (knock on wood).

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the help! One of my fleeces is not large enough to tuck over the sides so that's why I asked. I have finally found some binder edging, known as 'Spine Bars' or 'Spine Binders' at Staples (a bit like OfficeMax I guess) and on eBay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.