Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

First tattoo

For my 18th birthday at the end of May I'm getting my very first tattoo! I want to get all three of my dogs and my kitten that got lost, but maybe one at a time depending on the pain.
    Has anyone else got tattoos on here? If so, how painful is it? And roughly how long would it take for quite a large tattoo? I'm thinking on the top of my arm.
    Anybody got any pet tattoos? I need some inspiration

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    125 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Re: First tattoo

Mine's about 4-5" long starting at my wrist. I think it took about an hour, but there's no color, and it's not tremendously detailed (it's a tribal phoenix). It's not nearly as painful as I'd expected it to be. A lot of stinging as the needle was closer to the wrist itself, but towards the forearm, not bad at all. More like a rubber band snapping against the skin.

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	44110

3. "Thank you, asnnbrg, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I have two The first one is the Latvian (my heritage) symbol of the horse "god" on my right hip. Horses are a HUGE part of my life, so its like I'm "attached at the hip". haha. Yes I'm cheesy.

The second one is the Latvian sun symbol, meant to symbolize protection during the day, light, happiness and others. Its on my left foot because you're supposed to "put your best foot forward", which is your left.

I am starting work on a larger piece, which is two horseshoes intertwined together.

Name:	5850_217169950014_2456048_n.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	44787

Name:	5850_217175280014_5072624_n.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	44788

Lesson 1 about tattoos.... they are permanent. I'm sure you've heard the whole "they are there for life" speech. But it's correct. Get something you will be proud to wear when you're old and wrinkly

2. They can be painful depending on placement. My first one is on my hip. It wasn't bad, but it got more annoying as it went further down. The little lines of the one on my ankle HURT SO BAD. Luckily it was quick. Thick lines were like a da at the beach for me.

3. DO NOT SCRATCH THEM as they are healing. Pat/smack them if they get irritating.

4. They are addicting. Wallet beware

It depends on your artist how long the work will be. And it sounds like it will be very detailed, so it will probably be painful and irritating, and expensive. The thing that bothers me the most about getting inked is the noise from the tattoo gun. Drives me nuts.

Thanks
    Thanks
    202 Rec'd/149 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

I've got 5; lower back tramp stamp, a bracelet around my ankle, one on my back shoulder area and two on my lower stomach/pelvic bone area - one on each side. As mentioned, they can hurt but it all depends on placement. Closer to the bone or less "meaty" areas, will hurt more. I could actually feel my bones vibrating on some of my tattoos because they were on top of the bone. The one on my shoulder I literally fell asleep during , felt like somebody was drawing on me with a sharp pen.

Time depends on what you are getting, who you are going to and how good they are. Most of my tattoos are about 4-5 inches with full color and took between 45 minutes to an hour and half. My largest on my shoulder was about 2 hours and is about 7 inches tall. Some artists like to go over their lines thoroughly and do a great job and others rush and I've seen their tattoos literally fade within a couple of weeks. Details take longer obviously and if you are planning something extremely large, it may take a few days depending on how long you are willing to sit there. My ex had one arm sleeved and both legs done with various tattoos but some of his biggest that covered his calf took 3 days and over 24 hours to do.

For inspiration, any tattoo artist that is worth their weight can draw you up something amazing and unique if you bring an idea of what you want to them. All of mine were custom done, which was difficult with butterflies at the time since they soon became the rage right after I first got mine, but I just told him what I wanted and he did a great job designing them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

I have a full color green eyed tree frog on my lower calf. It took about 90 minutes and sure, it hurt like heck, but not enough to ever keep me from getting another. I would much rather get tattoos than give birth again or root canal work. The tattoo artist's station should be clean and pretty uncluttered, so it helps a lot if you bring an ipod and a magazine to keep your mind off it. Otherwise there isn't much to look at or listen to except a wall, and the buzz.

Words of advice - location, location, location! First, the "meatier" parts of your body might not hurt as much. I found this to be true for me in that the lower part of mine, hurt more as he got closer to the ankle. Second, think about how this tattoo will look in 20, 30, even 40 years. (LOL - go to Vegas, or a beach vacation and you see a lot of older women with very distorted artwork - YIKES!). And third, being that you are so young, think LONG & HARD if you might ever have a job where you need to keep it covered.

Oh, and I went to shop a couple of weeks before. Looked at all the artist's work and picked from that. I wanted a very realistic image, so I chose someone who did a lot of animals in a style I liked. I was able to approve design before we got started.

Name:	P8120320.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	44821

Thanks
    Thanks
    71 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

I'm actually getting my first tattoo around the end of this month/ early next month! It's just been finding the right tattoo artist for what I want!

I'm getting Geronimo in tardis blue (Dr. Who) on my foot. I love the idea of a Dr. Who tattoo - and geronimo is just one of my favorite words. This way I get a wickedly understated tattoo that only fans of the show know!

Good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

You guys have some awesome looking tattoos. I got mine about 10 years ago and don't know where the pictures of it are saved, but it's a silhouette of a flying bird on the back of my shoulder. Took about an hour I think, I wouldn't say it was painless, but it didn't hurt too bad.

Thanks
    Thanks
    202 Rec'd/149 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madrae View Post
    And third, being that you are so young, think LONG & HARD if you might ever have a job where you need to keep it covered.
    This is a very good point, although body art IMO shouldn't be judged, it is and in some work environments it is NOT acceptable and you need to take that into consideration while young. If you have a career path picked out and know it will never be an issue, then I say go for it and do what you like but if you have any ideas of working in a "professional" environment, think about putting it in a less conspicuous place. Although I have a few, they are all easily hidden when need be.

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,102 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

I have one tattoo. Two weeks before my husband and I got married we decided to get matching tattoos. We each got the infinity symbol. He get his on his forearm and I got mine on my hip. It is nothing too fancy but sweet. I would like to embellish mine one day with something to do with my kids but I don't know what yet. Mine did not hurt very much. In fact I was surprised how little it hurt.

I agree with thinking about placing the tattoo in an area that is easily covered but that means you can pretty much put it anywhere except maybe your forearms or face but even then there are always tattoo covering cosmetics if it really was an issue.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carissa6729 View Post
    This is a very good point, although body art IMO shouldn't be judged, it is and in some work environments it is NOT acceptable and you need to take that into consideration while young. If you have a career path picked out and know it will never be an issue, then I say go for it and do what you like but if you have any ideas of working in a "professional" environment, think about putting it in a less conspicuous place. Although I have a few, they are all easily hidden when need be.
    Yes, I wish this wasn't the case but unfortunately that's how things are (for now). I was maid of honor at my best friend's wedding and she asked me put concealer over my tattoo. I think she could tell I was offended by the request (I'm quite bad at hiding my emotion) and told me nevermind, do it only if I felt comfortable. I honestly didn't feel comfortable covering it up, but I decided to do it since it was her wedding. I used some expensive concealer that didn't even look good -- anyone looking at my shoulder could see there was a spot that was a different color. Wow I hadn't thought about that in forever, now that I think about it again its grating on my nerves all over again

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Gforcepiggies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

I have a friend who's got a iguana on his back. it covers him almost entirely. He says it took around two or two and a half hours to finish. it's very detailed. He says the back part didn't hurt too bad, but it felt really funky and stung at times.
    And I can see why.

Name:  Wid.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  9.8 KB

I also have a tattoo, it's my own design, which the artist kindly made for me, on my forearm. It's a circle, with a circle in the middle, and the outer circle is divided into four parts, one is green, brown, blue, and white. They all stand for the elements of the world, Forest, earth, water, and cold. the words are around the circle under their correct colors. It's pretty simple. But it did hurt some, and took around a hour to finish.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

I am a Girl Scout volunteer and that first year I had to fight with my council, because they wanted it covered for camp. I was a volunteer and it irritated me all to heck since they had a paid staff person who is pierced all over her face. I do not see a tattoo (unless it was a naked hula lady or something) as a "bad influence. I won, and then got poison ivy that year! LOLOL

To the lady above with the infinity symbol, you can do all kinds of things to embellish it and include your kids. The first thing that popped into my mind was a tattoo my girlfriend got - a twisty flower vine, like a morning glory. But every flower is the color of her family's birthstones.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

I have 3 large tattoos. One takes up half my back, one takes up a 1/3 of abdomen, and my third starts at the bottom of my scapula and goes all the way up over my shoulder. I can tell you that the pain level is directly proportionate to the area you choose to get it in. My back tattoo wasn't too bad - only over the spine did it kind of hurt and the lower it went, my shoulder tattoo didn't hurt at all, and my abdomen tattoo hurt the worst of all three when the artist was inking over my ribs. Ribs by far was the most painful area. Time getting a tattoo ranges with artist (some like to take breaks, others don't), detail, and size.

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

I have eleven at the moment 5 of them are unfinished. My wife is a professional tatt artist among other things. Hers are so much more painful than shop ink because she has a higher powered custom machine that runs at a higher speed. So far the worst one was my shin with my foot being a close second. That is saying something because I have one just above my bits and it wasn't as bad. All of the ones she has done for me are custom and freehand. This is my newest one but we are trying to figure out how to put a rainbow wash of color in a water color style on it.

Name:	IMAG0319.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	44923

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I got too many to count. The last one I fell asleep while he was tattooing me. And it was a back piece. But after the 3rd hour I was bored.

Thanks
    Thanks
    47 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	45126
    Here is my Tattoo, I got it after my son died. The guardian Angel I got in Dec 2010, but I just got the date put on yesterday. I find getting a tattoo annoying, not painful. The vibrating and the noise is what I find annoying, but I never thought of it as pain. =)

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I just got this tattoo done today (based on a concept sketch for a minature). Took 3 hours to do, plus i changed the original face to one of my piggies:

Name:	guineapigsamuraitattoo.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	50415

I have 7 tattoos (5 will be combined to a complete sleeve later this summer). Its still sore, and the redness will disappear in a week.

19. "Thank you, helteralan, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Nice! That's so cute.

21. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    39 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

@madrae: Wow, I love your frog tattoo! When I turn 18, I'd like to get something like that; something small, colorful, realistic, and preferably an animal of some sort. It's really cute!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner spudsthepiget's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    405 Rec'd/215 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

@helteralan That is so cool!! I love it!! I've been wanting my first tattoo for a while, but I'm torn between a piggy tattoo and a Sailor Moon tattoo.

24. "Thank you, spudsthepiget, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List