Thanks
    121 Rec'd/77 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Re: package baby carrots :(

Quote Originally Posted by southernfury View Post
    I love growing a garden for my girls and myself. They girls love the super fresh taste of veggies coming right out of a garden. I plan to grow a garden this year just for my girls, it will mainly consist over everything that i know they love, plus things i want them to try that we can't find around here. My girls LOVE dill, it is one of their favorite herbs. So this year my girls will have their own person garden. My hubby thinks i'm nuts..but hey it will save a whole lot on our veggie bill. which is gettin on up there in price.
    Plus i just love knowing what is on my veggies and knowing what my girls are truly eating.
    I have always grown a garden in the summer. This year I plan to expand since I have the girls to eat some of it! This was the thing I enjoyed most about having guinea pigs, living in a house with two meat and potatoes guys, it's nice to always have greens available! LOL You don't think the organic carrots are like this do you? I haven't noticed them being white or slimy!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Sorry about the mutli post, but i haven't got that mutli quoting down yet..

I just wanted to inform people that didn't know about the chemical that their piggies and themselves have been getting by eating processed carrots. I am glad to see that i'm not the only one that knows about the carrots being bleached and that ya feed whole fresh carrots too.

I finally turned my mother off to baby carrots that she was feeding her pet deer. Now she buys that whole carrots like me. She loves that i do all the research on what we eat and what we feed our animals.

I believe knowledge is power !!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SheWolfSilver View Post
    I have always grown a garden in the summer. This year I plan to expand since I have the girls to eat some of it! This was the thing I enjoyed most about having guinea pigs, living in a house with two meat and potatoes guys, it's nice to always have greens available! LOL You don't think the organic carrots are like this do you? I haven't noticed them being white or slimy!
    I grow my own garden too. When this okla weather permits it. Last year our garden got burned up from the heat and the drought. We where on a water ban for months. I plan to grow one every year, because i love freshness of home grown veggies. I believe nothing taste better that a veggie that you pull out of your garden and if i can't grow it...i will go to our local farmers market and buy from them. I Support our local farmers 100%.

I really am not sure about Organic carrots. I don't think they would be, because they are SUPPOSE to chemically free. But organic is pretty pricey in my opinion. But i guess that would all depend on where you buy them.
    Last edited by foggycreekcavy; 03-01-13 at 10:33 am.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MochaAndMoo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    458 Rec'd/301 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

Moo goes crazzzy for carrots! We use organic carrots, so no harmful chemicals in there.

5. "Thank you, MochaAndMoo, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    121 Rec'd/77 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Oh good! I buy all my produce organic! My little grand son is allergic to everything! So, I have to be very careful as to what I buy!

7. "Thank you, SheWolfSilver, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MochaAndMoo View Post
    Moo goes crazzzy for carrots! We use organic carrots, so no harmful chemicals in there.
    Ohhh my girls love carrots, it's one of their favorite veggies. They will grab their piece and run and hide so the other girls won't take their piece..LOL Silly girls !
    My girls Reese..i swear will give me a dirty look if i don't have carrots in their nightly salad. But i give them carrots once a day or maybe one a treat for floor time.

9. "Thank you, southernfury, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Do you have any peer reviewed articles and specific tests that confirm this? I only found articles write by angry moms and crunchy granola kids hahaha

i did find one saying they are washed in water with chlorine that's EPA safe. And they turn white because they lose moisture over time. If anyone finds one, lemme know!

11. "Thank you, Kellyvs1013, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MochaAndMoo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    458 Rec'd/301 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

Dr. Barringer: "Organic carrots are not washed with chlorine solution. Chlorine alternatives, including ozone solutions, are used on these. Non-organic vegetables, including carrots, are washed with a sanitizer, most likely chlorine and occasionally with chlorine alternatives (like peracatic acid, Prosan, or different combinations of organic acids and detergents). It is somewhat difficult to generalize because different manufactures use different approaches. However, it is reasonable to assume that if the vegetable is not organic, it most-likely has been sanitized with chlorine."
    I am pretty sure that vegetables sanitized with Chlorine aren't going to be good for guinea pigs.

From the articles I have read, this Chlorine isn't very good for humans.

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Here is the article I saw about the carrots, please read then make your own choices about what to eat. The Truth About Baby Carrots - 100 Days of Real Food I find it odd that people get all upset about this while at the same time they are feeding their kids a bunch of junk food or eating it themselves. We are putting our piggies to work this year providing fertilizer for our organic garden. Can I say that it will be 100% organic....no, because what my neighbor puts on his lawn and his veggie patch is a mystery to me! Just an FYI even home grown carrots that get dried out get the white yuckies( that with my own eyes).

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Okay, relax. Here is the real deal about the baby carrots. It's not bleach they are washed in, it's chlorine. The white film that develops is not from the use of the chlorine but from the beginnings of dehydration and yes, the same thing would happen with carrots grown in your own garden.

The details of the information sounded an awful lot like those scare emails that get passed around from time to time so I looked it up at the best place for finding out the real deal behind some of these "news" articles.

snopes.com: Baby Carrots

15. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," say these 9 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I stopped the baby carrots a few years back after learning this. As a mom (and a horse enthusist) my fridge always had them....now I just do the full sized ones and cut as needed.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CavyMama View Post
    Okay, relax. Here is the real deal about the baby carrots. It's not bleach they are washed in, it's chlorine. The white film that develops is not from the use of the chlorine but from the beginnings of dehydration and yes, the same thing would happen with carrots grown in your own garden.

The details of the information sounded an awful lot like those scare emails that get passed around from time to time so I looked it up at the best place for finding out the real deal behind some of these "news" articles.

snopes.com: Baby Carrots
    Thanks for an educated reply. People are so fear hungry it's sad.

18. "Thank you, Kellyvs1013, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I am pretty sure that vegetables sanitized with Chlorine aren't going to be good for guinea pigs.

There's chlorine in tap water.

20. "Thank you, Kellyvs1013, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

I buy organic "baby carrots". And they get white and slimy just like the non-organic ones.

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I adore your piggy name! "Moo", too cute!!

23. "Thank you, NJPKL, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

i buy big carrots with their skins on, im not sure what they are bathed in but the pigs go crazy for em, they still get a white tip though, are these safe? i dont like carrots and we arent real veggie people so i just pick up what i see ^^

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Chlorine is also in pools. It's fine for humans (and animals). You have to know too that after the carrots are sanitized in chlorine they are washed in water to remove the chlorine residue. The carrots are perfectly safe.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Houndkeeper View Post
    I stopped the baby carrots a few years back after learning this. As a mom (and a horse enthusist) my fridge always had them....now I just do the full sized ones and cut as needed.
    Full sized carrots are treated the same way that baby carrots are. Both are safe to eat.

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,102 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Thanks @CavyMama , I was just going to post the same information. It's probably a good idea for people to do a little research before posting or forwarding information like this. One thing I want to add that I didn't see said, the reason baby carrots go "slimy" and white long before large carrots is because some baby carrots are made from whittling away at larger carrots or are scraped of their skin thus making them dehydrate and become slimy long before their larger, skinned counterparts.

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

i had no idea of this. mine have never gone slimy but the white you were talking about they do get after awhile.. think i will just cut up carrot next time...

User Tag List