Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Post your rattie pictures!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I really want a pair of rats… I tried convincing my mom but she said absolutely not. How on earth did you get your mom to let you get them?! @RodentCuddles

Well..it took 6 years.
When I was 7 I wanted Rats. I begged for 3 years. She got me two girl mice. Then my father got me 6 more girls from an owner who was looking for a new home for them. After that I had the 8 for around a year...I got a few habitrail mouses cage so I made them up ones connected together, worse thing ever. A wild male mouse got in with my 8 girls. Luckily only one girl got pregnant. She had 8 babies, but I didn't know she was preg until she gave birth to the first two and my other girls killed them. I then separated her from the other girls and she gave birth to 6 more. 3 boys and 3 girls. One boy and two girls escaped out of the cage, and one boy run away while I was holding him. The last boy was called Garfield as when he was born he was the biggest fella. Later on, I put him in a PetOne mouse cage and a male wild mouse got in as one morning I woke up and there was blood all in his cage, up my wall and on a small box containing a necklace my mother gave me. Garfield survived but lost half his tail. He then died from we think was a heart attack, he was over 2 years old and an amazing boy.
The last girl was too wild. I gave her 2 months to settled down. She didn't. She would bite me, run and attack me. She got PTS.

Here is a pic of my Garfield boy, He was an amazing, cuddly, people loving boy who was an amazing half wild boy:
IMAG0288.jpgIMAG0003.jpg

After that we welcomed into our house any mice that needed a home. Mums fear and 'hate' of mice and rats (Most rodents) soon disappeared and was replaced with a love for them.
Last year, we got asked to take Boris in. So we did. Got him de-sexed and then adopted Honey Boo Boo and Tinker. :)

It all could of been so different if I wasn't so adamant that I wanted rats. My mum would still probably be against rodents and would of not grown to love them.

Last edited:

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I am still trying to persuade her but she says we don't have the money! I pay for everything… :grumpy: What are some strong points I can present to them? I have already tried an essay and its the tail that freaks mom out...

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
I just got a mouse 3 days ago from Petsmart while i was in the city, it was a complete impulse move which is usually something my fiance does and not myself. It is a male so he is by himself and i havent even tried petting him yet lol but here are still things i want to do with his tank. I got hi ma 20 gallon long. i want to hang bird toys from the screen lid so he can climb around. i know this thread is about rats but i thought i would share.

here he is, oh and we named him Mouser lol

20130419_115801.jpg20130419_115809.jpg

He hasnt used him wheel, at least not what ive heard, so i want to get him a flying saucer wheel which will also give me more room above for hanging toys.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) he's a cutie. :)
Lol, I can't post pictures of all my mice I've cared for...I've cared for over 120. But am letting the numbers drop, we had to put two girls down two weeks ago so now are down two 13.

I know a vet that de-sexes male mice. I never got my boys done. I only had 7, I had 6 in pairs and one whos two brothers were bullying.

(broken link removed)@SkippyQ Willard is adorable!! Do you only have one rattie? :)

Here is a picture of the four girls I'm rat sitting for two weeks.... (I didn't get told their names..or don't remember her telling me them!)
One girl (the mink hood) has a URI, so I've got to give her meds twice a day.

DSC04978.jpgDSC04980.jpgDSC04981.jpgDSC04982.jpg

clb89

Cavy Slave
Wow this brings back memories. Had my first rat in high school, all white with red eyes I named her "Scratchy" (use to love itchy and scratchy lol). We found her in my parent's backyard, she was very friendly towards us so my parents said I could keep her. Later found out neighbor kids/parents had let their pet rats go. We had only found her. Well she lived for another year, but died after surgery for a tumor. My parents called for three hours to get someone to look at her, as we didn't know about exotic vets then. A non-exotic vet performed the surgery and was really interested in her, did tons of research. That vet now does exotics, so that was one positive thing.

Later in college my now husband and I got two female rats Smudges and Squeakers. One was all black, the other was white with grey head and stripe down her back. We actually got a real cage with safe ramps and rat toys and well everything safe for them. We couldn't do plastic because our girls loved to chew and try to eat everything. Smudges died two years after we had her, no ideal why. Squeakers lived for five years then the last year of life she battled a parasite. Even though the parasite was successfully killed off by medications she just was never the same after that and died soon after. My husband and I couldn't take anymore heartache so we stopped getting rats then that was around six years ago. I still think of them fondly, I'll have to see if I have any pictures of them on this computer later.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
@clb89 You have NO idea how jealous I am of you!!!!
Self black rats are SO rare here, most can't be breed because they don't have a healthy line of genes (eg. Family members have URI's, cancer ect).

I want a self black so bad!! I'm just hoping a big fat chubby self black boy will get surrendered to the rescue and I'll be able to snatch him up! But's un-likely...most rat club members have been waiting 7 + years to get a self black, I know a couple who have been looking for over 10 years with no luck.

More pictures of the four girls I'm rat sitting...my brothers head in the first pic. I had just cleaned their cage and put in two new hammocks i just sewed as they didn't have any!
IMG_6930.jpgIMG_7002.jpgIMG_7081.jpgIMG_7099.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Mostly Boris pictures as Honey Boo Boo had climbed up my leg and plopped herself on my shoulder, Tinker was either whizzing about everywhere or in the hidey house...We might be getting a self black boy, but it's not 100% certain.
pizap.com10.47578767733648421368089178111.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Eggy pictures... Honey had grabbed a half of an egg to another part of the cage... pizap.com10.60731794405728581368590927933.jpgpizap.com10.79137310571968561368591713471.jpgpizap.com10.053160486277192831368591769351.jpgpizap.com10.109109888784587381368591820298.jpgpizap.com10.8004448954015971368591893663.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Rattie pictures from today...
They've moved into my mouse cage (after my last girl mouse passing away two days ago)..still big enough for 8 rats :)
IMG_6670.jpgIMG_6669.jpgIMG_6659.jpgIMG_6632.jpgIMG_6624.jpg

(It's a three level cage..the picture of Boris is taken in the bottom level..the hammocks are in the middle level and I didn't take any pictures of the top..

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I make the hammocks myself...but with these three I just rushed them this morning..rather stupid of me!

I have to say that I love how the rats appreciate human interaction and want/need it unlike mice who'll enjoy but don't care.

Any helpful hints on how to keep the sharpness of there nails down?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
You take such good pictures, your ratties are gorgeous! (I especially love Boris).
I have to say that I love how the rats appreciate human interaction and want/need it unlike mice who'll enjoy but don't care.
I think it comes down to personality in the end, Marvel loves human interaction. Whenever I go near his cage he automatically runs to the side of the cage for cuddle time.

I love your hammocks! I am a horrible sewer :s Last time I attempted a hammock I broke my Mum's sewing machine (oops).
Any helpful hints on how to keep the sharpness of there nails down?
You could use a human nail file and sand down the sharp tip of the nail.
Not a rat, but I'll post a picture anyways :)

Marvelisohsofabulous.jpg
08cfe3e7-2788-4955-8ce6-148dacbc43ad_zpsa77119ce.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
@MochaAndMoo I've also had many mice who love human interaction *and others who didn't care*...but I just love the way rats are like monkeys how they use their paws to hold your finger and sniff it..turn, lick it, hang off it ect..they're like mini monkeys! They're just able to interact with people more..they're like a mix of dogs as they're so easy to teach stuff to (sit, come, stay, paw ect) and like moneys with their cheeky inquisitive side!

I loved all my mice and I miss the days I would set up then watch them *Molly was the best! She was just amazing at it!* do an agility course I'd set up with tunnels, jumps, ropes to walk on and balance, things to climb up ect.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
i jest adopted 2 rats from my school, i got to carrington for vet tech, i intended to house them until i can find a suiting home as i have 4 guinea pigs in my room already but its to late i have fallen in love with them. I made them a cage out of old cage parts. Not sure if its big enough but i wayyyyy better then the tank they lived in before. If i didnt take them they would be fed to hawks. so weird that my school would do such a thing besides the fact that they fed them very bad treats. I dont have names yet tho.

Attachments

image.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
So glad you saved them!

Do they have names yet?

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
nope, name ideas are welcome! :3

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Rattie's num nums for this morning...

White bread.
Mini Hot Cakes
Sultanas covered in white yogurt
Cornflakes with Honey yogurt and peaches
Pumpkin, Potato and beef baby food

IMG_8572.jpgIMG_8586.jpgIMG_8587.jpgIMG_8605.jpg

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Omgosh they are so cute I've been thinking about getting some. Only if my landlord will alow it I already have a guinea pig. I'm still researching them of course.

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles where did you purchase your cage? Or did you make it yourself? It looks like a lovely home to 3 spoiled ratties.

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
Oops never mind I just read the whole thread... Sorry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.