Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Blood in Poo

Some advice please?

One of our little girls made a small squeek while pooing. After she moved from the poo area, I noticed a small amt of blood in the poo. I don't know her well enough yet regarding her habits, health, or if she's PREGNANT! How can you tell?
    I highly doubt that she will cooperate with a pregnancy test (I'm kidding!) for her! But - what if the blood wasn't from her rectum? She is a little squirmer and won't let me check her little bottom. :o

We are fairly new cavy parents - unplanned first adoption Aug, 2013. I have researched cavys extensively ever since! We just adopted a bonded pair, male/female two weeks ago. :) As per previous owner: Male 1y/o, female (who has blood in poo) abt. 2y/o. Pair as been together for approx. 1-2 months. Neither are neutered or spayed.:ohmy: The day they arrived to me I immediately split them up!:important

They are both extremely sweet. Male to be neutered in 2 wks so they can stay together.:love: (He misses her!)

So . . . . . is this common??

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner RodentCuddles's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    842 Rec'd/517 Posts
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Re: Blood in Poo

It is not normal from what I know, and you need to get her to a cavy savvy vet ASAP. I think blood in urine and having pain and squeaking during pooing is a sign of Stones? (Or is it just when that happens in Pee?)

Either way, if you never took them to a vet when you first got them then they both need to see a vet...but that's just me..as we get lots of piggies in so all piggies go see a vet when they first come.

3. "Thank you, RodentCuddles, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

She needs to see a vet.

5. "Thank you, R5 plus, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

And what is bad right now . . . . snow storm just went through . . . .

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRUSTMAN View Post
    And what is bad right now . . . . snow storm just went through . . . .
    Is there any possible way you can get her to the vet? Pigs can go downhill very quickly and she needs to see a vet NOW!

Could she have possibly peed on the poo and it looks like there's blood in it?

8. "Thank you, momomiyamommy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,251 Rec'd/5,776 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3815 Post(s)

One common cause of blood in poop or urine is bladder stones. Blood would not be a sign of pregnancy, and if it were the beginning of labor, you'd certainly be aware that she was pregnant.

But you're the parent here -- pick the pig up, turn it over, and examine it's bottom to make sure nothing is bleeding under there. She can wiggle all she likes, but if you're holding her firmly behind the front legs and in front of the back legs, you should be able to see.

If she were mine, I'd take her to a vet that treats a lot of exotics and ask for an x-ray. Don't bother with a dog-and-cat vet, you'll just waste your money.

10. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Took our little girl to the vet! (Snow plows and graders out - roads good!) Unfortuniately, my vet was not there, so I saw another vet (newly graduated) who is not an exotic vet. Anyway . . . . they have the stool sample with the blood and we are back home to monitor and give her yogurt! She's had no more bloody episodes - so far.
    On a more positive note . . . this young lady is so eager to learn more about cavy's. I told her to snap to it . . . I have 4 cavy babies who are pretty special!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/112 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)

I'm sorry to say you wasted your money seeing that vet. Guinea pigs CAN NOT have yogurt. Don't feed it to her. Guinea pigs can't have dairy. You'll have to hope the cavy savy vet can figure something out from the stool sample or you will have to take her back.

13. "Thank you, Colorado Cavies, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner RodentCuddles's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    842 Rec'd/517 Posts
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRUSTMAN View Post
    Took our little girl to the vet! (Snow plows and graders out - roads good!) Unfortuniately, my vet was not there, so I saw another vet (newly graduated) who is not an exotic vet. Anyway . . . . they have the stool sample with the blood and we are back home to monitor and give her yogurt! She's had no more bloody episodes - so far.
    On a more positive note . . . this young lady is so eager to learn more about cavy's. I told her to snap to it . . . I have 4 cavy babies who are pretty special!
    Guinea pigs can not have yogurt. They can not have dairy nor meat...

I would not take my piggies to the other vet as even though she wants to learn more about piggies I would not want to allow my piggies to be guinea pigs (Just had to !) for her learning. She needs to learn about their delicate care first, not learn on the way or else she could easily tell you something that is not right or give you something to give your piggies and it could kill them. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want to risk seeing her until she knows about piggy care.

15. "Thank you, RodentCuddles, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cavies View Post
    I'm sorry to say you wasted your money seeing that vet. Guinea pigs CAN NOT have yogurt. Don't feed it to her. Guinea pigs can't have dairy. You'll have to hope the cavy savy vet can figure something out from the stool sample or you will have to take her back.
    OMG! Are you kidding me???? UGH! I have not found a noted Exotic Vet in this area other than my normal vet that take my cats and dogs to. I have to say that I swear by this woman! So now . . . I'm in a position of this vet or no vet! However, I will STOP with the yogurt! Thank you SO, SO much!

I'm open to any other suggestions that I can do on my own then!

Thanks
    Thanks
    121 Rec'd/77 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

OMG! I can not express how much I am grateful for this forum! I mean seriously! Look at all the misinformation the people would get if this forum did not exist! I mean the vets are even wrong! I can say without a shadow of doubt that if my piggies ever get sick (knock on wood) That I would know exactly what to do, exactly what to look for and exactly what questions to ask!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SheWolfSilver View Post
    OMG! I can not express how much I am grateful for this forum! I mean seriously! Look at all the misinformation the people would get if this forum did not exist! I mean the vets are even wrong! I can say without a shadow of doubt that if my piggies ever get sick (knock on wood) That I would know exactly what to do, exactly what to look for and exactly what questions to ask!
    *sigh* And I am still learning, and learning, and learning! And they are SO extremely worth it! *Aw precious babies*

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,251 Rec'd/5,776 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3815 Post(s)

Well, I can't imagine that Nebraska is running over with exotic vets, and a good dog-and-cat vet who's willing to research and learn is way better than one who thinks s/he already knows everything about guinea pigs. You can always point a new vet at Guinea Lynx for good medical information and links, and also ask if they have access to VIN -- the Veterinary Information Network. I'd try working with the new vet, but I'd thoroughly research any problem my pigs had before I took them in. For instance, with the blood you saw, I'd have wanted an x-ray, since a stone in the urethra could easily be the cause of it.

Even in Houston, there aren't many exotic vets, and I use a local d-and-c vet for minor stuff for mine. I did decline, however, to let her remove Flourish's bladder stone as she'd never done surgery on a guinea pig, or even a kitten or a puppy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

I, too, use a clinic that's primarily dog and cat for minor stuff for my girls. They do have exotic experience; two of the vets there have a special interest in rodents, and they actually treat exotics from the local Petsmart and Petcos. Fortunately, they know their limitations and refer me out for anything that's beyond their knowledge. It sounds like your vet has good intentions but needs to do some research before making recommendations.

It's funny how the people on the boards here so often have more guinea pig knowledge than the average vet. I was at my cats' vet (she doesn't treat piggies at all) and asked for extra Revolution to treat the girls, since I was getting it for the cats. She was shocked at the idea and had never heard of it, although thankfully she did give it to me with the precautionary disclaimer, "It's just extra for the cats, right?"

User Tag List