Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

"Pig Slave" was not a goal in my life, but . . . .

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
Hi all! My name is Shirley! Don't get upset about my title . . there is a story behind it!
Last August 2012, my husband and I went into a Garden/Pet Center to look at their grass seed. He was looking at the seed, I was looking at the Guinea Pigs! (Animal lover here!)❤️ One of the employees told me that I could not hold the pets because they have an injured one in the back! "Lil' Pig" was adopted by another family and returned within 24hrs. She had been abused. This store took her to the vet to hopefully restore her health. It wasn't going well for her and plans to euthanize her were being made. Long story shortened . . . we took this paralyzed little girl (all four limbs) home to give her love and hopefully re-gain some use of her limbs. (She also had pressure ulcers on all limbs.) Her body postition at the time of rescue was hind legs stretched straight out behind her and her front legs already had contractured bent at the elbow. We didn't expect her to live :sad:too long, so we didn't want to get too attached to her :guilty: and give her an "official name". I took her to my vet the very next day to get their prognosis. :?:

Well, that was back in August . . . . her name was and still is "Lil' Pig"! With physical therapy - her back legs 100% functional! :tearsofjo Left front leg 90% functional. Right front leg 50%. She'll popcorn, get fiesty, and knows what she wants!!:D
Last month we decided Lil Pig needed a playmate . . . we adopted "Espresso" (she fits her name in every way!) Espresso brought so much more life to Lil' Pig:love:!
Then . . . last week, we rescued Dozer (male) and Breve' (female). Dozer's brother was killed by a dog :weepy: the day before we adopted them - which is the reason the previous owner adopted them out.

When we adopted Lil' Pig, we knew NOTHING about Cavy's! I've never learned SO much via internet in 12+hrs as I have the day we brought our first pig home. No . . . I never did entertain the idea of adding any life goals of being a "Pig Slave" but I do believe there was a plan there for us . . . we just didn't know it! And I believe we were supposed to be at that store, at that particular day!

Sooooooooo - *standing up from chair* My name is Shirley and I am a Piggy Slave! ❤️ :D

P.S. No purchase of grass seed was made!!

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Lol at the grass seed bit. I'm so glad she is better! Bless you for taking her in. Pigtures?

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
Lol at the grass seed bit. I'm so glad she is better! Bless you for taking her in. Pigtures?

I'm looking for her 'first' and most recient!

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to see her!

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Poor piggies! Are you going to get Dozer a friend or get him fixed so he can live with the girls?

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
952.jpgLil' Pig getting outside with her personal body guard. Her pressure ulcers were healed at this time, but still working on regaining her range of motion on her limbs.

mama_

Cavy Slave
You are such a beautiful person for rescuing Lil' Pig. Most people would have said "poor thing" and continued shopping. She is very fortunate to have an angel like you to come along, give her hope, and sustain her life. :)

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
1320.jpg004.jpgUsing carrots (bribes) helped excersizing her push herself up using her front legs and then we would have her sit up on her back legs. Carrots were our favorite weapon of choice!:eek:ptimist: Lil' Pig with her friend/playmate Espresso! :D

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
Oh yes . . poor Dozer . . . he was to be fixed this last Friday . . . he was NPO at 10:00pm Thurs night . . . for some reason, he still got sick :sick:when he was put under! So, he is on an antibiotic and then we try it again! Poor little guy! And he is so precious too. :love:

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
You are such a beautiful person for rescuing Lil' Pig. Most people would have said "poor thing" and continued shopping. She is very fortunate to have an angel like you to come along, give her hope, and sustain her life. :)

Thank you . . . We still feel like we were meant to be there an find her! ;)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Poor little man! Hope it goes better the next time around! It will be worth it when he has so many pretty ladies to hit on. XD

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. They are beautiful.

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
1318.jpgLil Pig LOVES her floor/human time! LOL

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
Using carrots (bribes) helped excersizing her push herself up using her front legs and then we would have her sit up on her back legs. Carrots were our favorite weapon of choice!:eek:ptimist: Lil' Pig with her friend/playmate Espresso! :D

Oops! :eek:hmy: "exercising" !! LOL

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
What a beauty! Thank you for sharing Lil' Pig's story with us. I'm so thankful that there are amazing people out there for these amazing little creatures.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Oh, she is so adorable! You are an awesome person for taking in a pig that I'm sure most people would not have bothered to give a second glance!

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That is a very touching story. She looks beautiful, and is probably very happy that you were out there to rescue her.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
Our a Piggy hero! I send lots of love to your and your lovey piggies <3

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
@SRUSTMAN I don't think it was an accident when you just happend to be there. She is too adorable! Espresso too! Poor Dozer, haha at least he will be able to have 2 little friends in the end. :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Awwww, I love the pigtures! So glad Lil Pig has made such an amazing recovery. It sickens me that the store would just take back a sick pig with no repercussions on animal abusers. Oh well, probably all in a day's business for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.