Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Questions

Right now we have a cage my fiance made out of an old bookshelf, but I have been looking into the idea of a C&C cage. I like the idea of the loft, and being able to expand if and when you need to, plus it would make it easier to make a fleece jungle for my piggies. Where did everyone buy their stuff and about how much it cost?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Re: Questions

I think that most people that did the regular cage got their stuff here and there. I started with a tarp and bought the grids at sears.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner 2198lindsey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    288 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)

I bought my cubes from bed bath and beyond for less than 20 $. At first I didn't use a coro base, I just used a waterproof mattress liner from the dollar tree and clothespins with a grand total of $23. That's my 2x5. Just got my base, I needed a 3 by 7ft sheet I got a 4 ft by 10 ft sheet of coro for $15 from a local sign shop.

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

I know you can get coroplast from homedepot, if you have a sign store near you that might work too. grids try walmart, target those kind of stores, jsut make sure they are the 9x9 safe grids. I decided to buy my whoel cage from the cage store here Guinea Pig Cages Store i couldnt find grids where i lived, they were the safe ones.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

what department of the store do you find the grids in?

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

We got everything we needed from our local guinea pig rescue. They sell everything you need at a reasonable price and it helps out the pigs at the rescue! Maybe you could see if a rescue near you sells the supplies.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

there are no pig rescues in my area

Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

I got my grids at Target (but like they said above, make sure they are 9x9, my boxes each had some 9x9 and some 5x5) so I got 2 boxes to make sure I had enough of the 9x9. My cage is a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. I found them in the office supply section. I used a clearance piece of linoleum that I only paid around $20 for and then I cut to fit before ordering my coroplast liner. The linoleum worked good but it has to be zip tied to the sized to make sure to edges stay upright and it will start sagging on the edges and does start to break down pretty quickly. Also make sure the linoleum does not have adhesive already on it and if you have chewers be careful that they do not chew on the linoleum. I like the coroplast base much better and it was pretty reasonable. I don't have a Home Depot near me (closest one is almost 100 miles away) and I haven't had time to call some of the sign places.

9. "Thank you, pawner69, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    862 Rec'd/695 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

I got my grids from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I've never seen them at my Target but they were an easy find at BB&B, so I'd definitely check there if you can. I got my coroplast from Fastsigns, a 8 foot by 4 foot piece for 32 dollars, which I hear is on the high side.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

You can also get grids at Walmart.com (online only). The brand is Whitmor and they come in black or white.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

@Brandi0509 is this the right thing? I don't know if these are the safe grids or not Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked - Walmart.com

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaGal2013 View Post
    @Brandi0509 is this the right thing? I don't know if these are the safe grids or not Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked - Walmart.com
    That's them!! They are safe as long as they are 9 squares across.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

it doesnt say... so i enlarged the picture and counted. they appear to be 9 squares across. I would hate to order them and then it be the wrong thing . I also don't see where it says how many of the grids you get... will one set be enough for a cage for 3 guineas, or would I need 2? I am still REALLY new to the C&C cage. Just want to make sure I get it right.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I've pretty much had my grids since I was 5. I was using them for a bookshelf when I was younger. Once I got my pigs and joined this site, I realized I could use them for a bigger cage. The first attempt was kind of a fail though. xD I'm waiting to gather the rest of the supplies to make it... A not-fail. Lol

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaGal2013 View Post
    it doesnt say... so i enlarged the picture and counted. they appear to be 9 squares across. I would hate to order them and then it be the wrong thing . I also don't see where it says how many of the grids you get... will one set be enough for a cage for 3 guineas, or would I need 2? I am still REALLY new to the C&C cage. Just want to make sure I get it right.

They are def the right thing. I have the same ones, just in black and the rescue here sells them.

And one box can do a 2x5 with no bottom, top, or stand. If you want a bottom, top, or stand you would need more than one box. (it comes with 16 grids)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/107 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Okay. Thank you. I am still "shopping around" to see who has the best price... but I hope to talk my fiance into building one before our third guinea comes home with us Now this might sound silly, but where do you get the ramps for the lofts and stuff?

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Well good luck in getting him to build it! Luckily my hubby was great with builiding ours. Ours started out with me gonna have him build a 2x3. Then we changed to a 2x4. Then we decided to make it a 2x5. Then we decided we wanted a 2x2 loft. Then we decided that it still wasn't big enough so now we have a 2x6 with a 2x5 loft (L shaped). Ha! So just start out big because after you build it, it never seems big enough! This is our finished product.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big cage.jpg 
Views:	1144 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	42336

And, that is not a silly question. It took us a lot of researching and planning on building our ramp. My husband made ours out of 3 grids that he bent into a U shape. He then ziptied them together and cut a piece of coro and ziptied that to the grids. Then we hot glued popcicle sticks horizontally down the ramp for "steps/traction" and then put a piece of fleece over all that. Whew!!! Good thing my hubby is handy! LOL!

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	1162 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	42397Here is a pic of our babyproofed cage. I bought poster board from the store and cut them in half horizontally. Then I stuck the poster board in between the grid and the side of the coroplast all the way around. It was cheap, I could make it match, and it worked like a charm. I am actually fixing to have to put my babyproofing back on when I get my new babies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I bought my grids from KMart, my fleece from Joann's and my coro from a pet store in San Jose, CA that sold 4' x 8' sheets specifically for that reason.

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi0509 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	1162 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	42397Here is a pic of our babyproofed cage. I bought poster board from the store and cut them in half horizontally. Then I stuck the poster board in between the grid and the side of the coroplast all the way around. It was cheap, I could make it match, and it worked like a charm. I am actually fixing to have to put my babyproofing back on when I get my new babies.
    What exactly is "poster board?" It's the end of the work day on Friday and I may just be having a brain fart but I don't really know what "poster board" is. Do you mean the regular cardboard or foam boards kids use for presentations?

User Tag List