Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why would you even consider this.??!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    497 Rec'd/339 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Re: Why would you even consider this.??!!

Wow, her new cage is fantastic! That must take a hefty amount of Carefresh to fill the base level. I wonder if she's considered fleece. I bought a small bag of Carefresh just for my pig's new kitchen areas, and I'm not too keen on the cost. One regular sized bag of Carefresh would only fill 4 small kitchen areas. (about a 1x2 grid size). I can't imagine filling such a large cage with the stuff!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner bguardguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Actually in the conclusion on the last page, she posts about how much carefresh she uses.The green post is taken from her website. Since I use one-and-a-half bags of CareFresh ($15 each) each time I do a full cage cleaning, it costs approximately $45 a month to maintain.
    However even later on she says she has started using shreaded newspaper as a buffer layer between the flat newspapers and the carefresh so that it only takes her only one bag per month. I am not sure I would let it go as long as she does between cleanings, however with the size of that cage and only three piggies I think, I imagine it isnt getting terribly soiled, especially with the litter box(s)

Section Moderator CanadianComforts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    292 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

Honestly, I think we do not know how much her pigs go potty or where. In a cage like that, spot cleaning bad areas and topping that back up would work in that size. Just because you (as in anyone complaining about the cost) can't afford that doesn't mean everyone can't.

Another thing I want to point out is that bguardguy posted : Since I use one-and-a-half bags of CareFresh ($15 each) each time I do a full cage cleaning, it costs approximately $45 a month to maintain.That would mean that if she buys 45$ a month and 1 bag is 15$ and she uses 1.5 bags each time to do a full cleaning she is using 3 bags a month. This means she cleans it twice a month. In a cage that size 2 week cleaning and removing the most soiled areas would in deed work. His/her cage is a 3x6 (with extra areas in the loft and under it). And that's for 3 pigs! I see nothing wrong with 2 week cleans with that and honestly even if I did its not of my business as she seems like a good pet owner to me.

Lets break down the square footage with just the 3x6 area: a 3x6 cage is approx 42" x 82" when you do the math for the sq ft of this cage it would be as followed:
    42x82: 3402
    3402/144: 23.625

Which means the sq ft is 23.6
    According to cavy cages a min requirement for 3 pigs is: 10.5sq ft
    Preferred is: 13 sq ft.

She/he has almost double that.

If you use carefresh in a normal 13sq ft cage you can go a week in between complete changes, so why shouldn't a almost double the size not last 2 weeks? AND this is only the main cage, she also has a 1x3 loft and 1x2 area under the loft. Honestly I am jealous of her cage size.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    497 Rec'd/339 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianComforts View Post
    Honestly, I think we do not know how much her pigs go potty or where. In a cage like that, spot cleaning bad areas and topping that back up would work in that size. Just because you (as in anyone complaining about the cost) can't afford that doesn't mean everyone can't.
    Seriously? I can afford that, I just don't want to. I like to dump the entire kitchen area every week, so that wouldn't work for me. I wasn't negatively judging her. I think she did a great job. The link to her blog wasn't posted so I didn't know how she did her upkeep.

Way to be rude, though! You have quite a talent.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I don't even think her guinea pig is physically able to fit, much less climb through, the tube. Therefore, the pig is probably starving as they can't reach their "kitchen area" if it's safe to call it that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone's even worried that she's using CareFresh, how she affords it, how much she uses, when she changes it, if she's considered fleece, or anything else. Same is true on how or if the pigs could fit through the tube or anything else relating to the old cage, as it appears it's no longer a part of their cage. This whole thread was started on the notion that she is housing her guinea pigs in a cage that's too small or otherwise inappropriate, and even though it turns out she actually now has a wonderfully large C&C cage, it seems there's still nit-picking going on over it and, to my sensibilities, it seems like an egregious waste of time and energy.

7. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    497 Rec'd/339 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I can't for the life of me understand why anyone's even worried that she's using CareFresh, how she affords it, how much she uses, when she changes it, if she's considered fleece, or anything else. This whole thread was started on the notion that she is housing her guinea pigs in a cage that's too small or otherwise inappropriate, and even though it turns out she actually now has a wonderfully large C&C cage, it seems there's still nit-picking going on over it and, to my sensibilities, it seems like an egregious waste of time and energy.
    Not understanding her upkeep shouldn't automatically translate into being nit-picky. I'm relatively new to Carefresh. I was admiring her cage, and wanted very much to express that admiration as so many were criticizing her previous design. Of course, people still like to use your words against you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,456 Rec'd/800 Posts
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

I agree with Paula. And the thread title is inflammatory.

I'm closing this thread.

10. "Thank you, CavySpirit, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

User Tag List