Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? A few questions about feeding young guinea pigs

sdispennette

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
I am preparing to get two little girl pigs soon and wanted to know some specifics on feeding. I know that they will need unlimited hay (alfalfa hay until 6 months old) and I ordered Oxbow young guinea pig food since I've heard from many sources that it is a very good brand.
I realize it may not be an exact science but any idea is helpful. Questions are as follows.

1) How much of the pellets do I feed them and how often?
2) Can they/should they eat vegetables more than once a day?
3) What amount of vegetables should I feed them?

Feel free to throw in any extra advice although I have done a lot of research already about what they can and can't eat. :)

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
1. I THINK (double check this lol) that young pigs can have unlimited pellets too. Once you switch them to timothy based ones at 6 or so months, then cut it to 1/8 cup/day
2. It's preferred to give them at least 2x per day but my pigs only get them once/day. It works a lot better with my hectic schedule
3. They should each get 1 cup per day. Here is a chart with what veggies/how much/how often? :)
https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf
It helped me A TON when I got started.

sdispennette

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I had heard about the 1/8 but wasn't sure since they will still be growing.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
No problem! 1/8 cup should be plenty. The pellets are mostly to ensure that they are getting all of the nutrients they need.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
They do not need alfalfa hay. Their pellets are most likely alfalfa, right? It's more important for them to always have a good quality grass type hay, like orchard grass, bluegrass, or timothy.

sdispennette

Cavy Slave
I already ordered it anyway but I will mix in some Timothy hay!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would make the timothy the mainstay, and just use the alfalfa as a treat.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
They do not need alfalfa hay. Their pellets are most likely alfalfa, right? It's more important for them to always have a good quality grass type hay, like orchard grass, bluegrass, or timothy.
Hmmm I was not aware of that. Good to know. Is it because they get enough calcium with veggies and pellets?

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I'm new but I've just been following all the great advice here. I give 1/8 cup of pellets a day all the Timothy hay they can eat and 1/2 cup veggies twice a day and my girls seem healthy and happy!

piglover94

Cavy Slave
I have a question so I know you are only suppose to give 1/8 cup of pellets per day but how many piggies is that for? or is it for any amount of guinea pigs you have?

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
If I'm not mistaken 1/8 cup is for 1 piggy.

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
Oliver gets 1/8th of a cup of Oxbow Essentials pellets, a cup of veggies and unlimited Timothy Hay. I spread the veggie portions throughout the day.

Little One

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs so I feed 1/4 cups pellets/day, 2 cups of veggies/day (usually all at once, not ideal but I have a crazy work schedule so this is just easier for me), and unlimited timothy/grass mix hay.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I was about to comment on the alfalfa hay! Alfalfa is a legume, it's higher in protein and calcium. It won't wear down teeth though, and I don't think it works the same way as a hay, because it isn't one.

So they need unlimited grass hay, orchard, timothy, bluegrass, brome etc are examples. Even clean, unfertilized, pestiside free grass from the law is great.

You'll need to give each pig 1 cup of veggies per day, and since they'll be under 6 months you can offer them parsley every now and then too.

Once they are up to 6 months, Emmit alfalfa and get them timothy based pellets, otherwise they'll be getting too much calcium.

I remember reading a good ratio for veggies is 2 parts leafy to 1 part non leafy vegetables/fruits. You'll want most of the veggies to consist of leafy things like lettuce, and you should also give each pig 1/8 a bell pepper (green is best because it's lowest in sugar, and cheapest) everyday because they need the vitamin c. It's also appropriate to feed each pig 1 baby carrot per day.

There's a great chart in the diet/nutrition section of the forum that tells you what they can eat, and how many times per week!

Houndkeeper

Cavy Slave
Good synopsis, madelineelaine.....thank you!!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Hmmm I was not aware of that. Good to know. Is it because they get enough calcium with veggies and pellets?

They get the calcium they need before they are weaned from their mom's milk. After that, they really don't need much extra.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.