Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please help!

PeanutButtar

Cavy Slave
So yesterday I got a new guinea pig, shes still a small baby. But I also have an older guinea pig that is about a year old now. Well when I first introduced the two girl guinea pigs, I thought my older one was happy, since she was purring. But after a while my older guinea pig (Mimi) started walking towards the younger guinea pig, except she was purring and slowly walking. I did some research on that and found out Mimi was dominating the young one. So here is where I need help.
They both have to share a cage. Mimi barely lets her freely walk around without doing the loud purring. I tried to take the younger one away from Mimi for a while but she'll eventually start making 'crying/squeaking' sounds, so I believe she wants to go back to Mimi. I dont know if there is a way to stop my older guinea pig from dominating, because I might have to return the younger one back to the store. So if there is any way to stop my guinea pig from dominating.
PLEASE HELP.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
This is natural behavior. It's going to happen with any pigs you pair up.. They are just establishing who is boss. Just put them back together and leave them be.

Mounting, rumblestrutting(what you described), teeth chattering, etc.. Is all very common. The only reason you would need to separate them is if blood is drawn.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This is normal pig activity. If there is blood drawn, take them away from each other. Mimi will get over the fact that she must share, and will get used to your other in a few days or less, or more. It depends on the pigs. So, to recap, blood, separate. Domination is their way of life, just watch them close. Did you quaritine the baby? Did you change the cage around before putting the two in it together? Did you put both pigs on a neutral space when in bonding? Just making sure... I hope this will haelp you and congrats on the new pig!!!!!

Aleks

Cavy Slave

PeanutButtar

Cavy Slave
This is natural behavior. It's going to happen with any pigs you pair up.. They are just establishing who is boss. Just put them back together and leave them be.

Mounting, rumblestrutting(what you described), teeth chattering, etc.. Is all very common. The only reason you would need to separate them is if blood is drawn.

Well Mimi (The older guinea pig) she keeps bugging her when shes near the small one. Like shes push her around especially the bottom part of her. But one thing I dont really understand is the fact that they would both 'cry/squeak'. Im too drawn to the young guinea pig, and I wanna keep her happy and healthy.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
My pigs Humphrey and Steve do this constantly. From what I've heard, most pigs usually figure out who is boss and eventually those behaviors cease for the most part. My boys on the other hand exhibit those behaviors almost 24/7.. But I do know that they would rather be with each other than alone. They absolutely hate being separated.

So don't worry about it too much.

Whispers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi welcome to the site :) It's great to hear you got another piggy, they should be friends once they sort through the bonding. One of my boys acted the same way as Mimi but after a week they sorted it all out. Just leave them together but watch closely to make sure that no blood is drawn.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! That is completely normal.

Don't seperate them, that will make it worse. Keep them together and leave them be unless any blood is drawn. Taking them out for cuddles is great.

How big is your cage? That sometimes causes dominance issues.

PeanutButtar

Cavy Slave
I didnt quarantine the baby, because I dont understand clearly the reason to.
The cage was pretty clean but I'll just clean it better before they go back into it.
When the two piggies met, they were on the couch with plenty of space to move around.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Quarantine periods give you time to monitor the new piggy to make sure she isn't sick. If she is then you can get her to a vet without your other pig catching what she has.

Madelineelaine makes a good point.. What size is your cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.