Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Question Sneezing?

So recently both of my pigs have been quietly sneezing. They do not do it as far as I can hear while in their cage, but I hear it when I have lap time with them.
    I know sneezing is a sign of a possible URI, but what if the pigs are still eating normal, drinking, happy, eyes clear and bright, etc, showing no other symptoms? I can take them to the vet I found that is Cavy savvy tomorrow after school if I needed. I just want to see what you guys think. Is only minor sneezing and nothing else a possible URI? Or is it something else?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Sneezing?

My Dwight got a sneeze, and was popcorning, eating, running around like normal (only had a sneeze and it wasn't super frequent, just enough to notice it). I took him to the vet to be safe and she told me you could definitely hear congestion in his lungs when she listened to his breathing with her stethoscope and was positive it was a URI based on the breathing and sneezing. I would definitely take them to the vet just to make sure. It still might not be a URI, but it's better to know for sure. I'm almost through Dwight's antibiotics and his sneeze is completely gone already. I thought it was weird that all I noticed was a sneeze and it turned out to be a URI. He had clear eyes - no discharge, no crusty nose, and no labored breathing to my knowledge (of course I don't have a stethoscope in my house to which I could really listen to air movement in the lungs). :p I hope everything goes well, keep us updated. :)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

I would definitely take them, just to be on the safe side. If not for that, at least just to make sure everything else is okay. I took my girls for the exact same thing, and they were fine. But still, I'm glad I took them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Thanks guys! Ill take the boys to the vet right after school once I run home and get them. I did have a after school club to attend, but my pigs health comes first!

Now to go make something to carry them in. I made a 1x1 cube with hinged lid to carry one pig to the vet before, do you guys think I should make a 1x2 carrying cage or a 10 min ride to the vet with 2 pigs in a 1x1? Im kinda short on grids and would have to steal 3 more from the base of their cage. Any other ideas for carriers? We do not have a dog carrier or cat carrier that is guinea safe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

I think if you definitely can't do the 1x2, a 1x1 will do the trick for the time being. Or you could do a very secure cardboard box with fleece on the bottom to keep them warm. Just make sure to run the heat on the way, to keep them nice and toasty!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Yeah, a 1x1 with their favorite cuddle sack for them to snuggle in and keep warm will do the trick. And don't worry, the car will be warm from the ride home from school. I have a cube with about 2inch sides of coroplast that fits into the carrier and will be sure to put my smaller piece of fleece in it along with towel. They are not fully bonded yet and still kinda bicker but hopefully a traumatic ride to the vet will get them to bond a bit more. Ill be sure to keep everyone posted about what we find out tomorrow. Wish them the best!

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

You can just as easily use a cardboard box or a laundry basket, lined with a towel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

I found a old cat carrier in the depths of the shed, cleaned it up and am going to use it.
    No vet today, I totally forgot that you have to actually schedule an appointment, and the only one they had today was duffing the oh-so inconvenient time that both parents are working and I have no ride. But we called the vet and scheduled an appointment tomorrow at around 2 pm, so mom will have to check my out early(yay?). I noticed today when I got home and checked the pigs, that the younger one, when he wheeks, it does sound a bit heavy and raspy. Im really worried but vet for sure tomorrow.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MochaAndMoo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    458 Rec'd/301 Posts
    Blog Entries

I myself have a pig with a URI at the moment, the only signs she had where sneezing and coughing, she was still eating and running around like an active piggy. I would definitely take her in. Please keep us updated on what the vet says.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

So I took both of them today. The vet weighted them then listened to their lungs, felt them all over, checked over everything including their skin, teeth, male area(Both of them gave me an evil look after this). He said he did not feel or hear anything that sounded wrong. He gave me some "sulfameth 200mg / trimeth 40mg" and told me that its similar to kennel cough for dogs, but in a guinea pig way? He also said that I should give them some more vitamin C rich foods, and printed me a list from some vet website(if you guys want to look at it, I can scan it and post it). I will be able to run to Walmart a bit later in the week for some new veggies and a few fruits to try to fill this. Any suggestions for things high in C? Guava was on top of the list, but I think that guava is a fruit? Its not on the nutrition chart so Im not quite sure about it.

In short: Nothing seemed wrong, got some meds just to be sure. Need more C.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Edit to :
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinaa View Post
    He gave me some "sulfameth 200mg / trimeth 40mg" and told me that its similar to kennel cough for dogs, but in a guinea pig way?
    Wanted to add a bit more but I cant edit.
    He told me that since theres no dust to cause sneezing since I use fleece, and smoking(both parents smoke indoors) should not be an issue since the pigs are kept in my room, the only smoke-free room in the house(Pigs lungs are more important than being around everyone all the time, dont worry, Im in my room often.).
    Last edited by Xinaa; 02-05-13 at 06:17 pm. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xinaa View Post
    smoking(both parents smoke indoors) should not be an issue since the pigs are kept in my room
    You said they sneeze while you're holding them, so maybe they breathe a bit of smoke off of your clothes? I know I can smell a person from a smoking household from a distance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

That could possably be it. But then again I never really tried to listen to them when Im not holding them. I hate that I could be the cause of them sneezing :( Silly parents, secondhand smoke is bad for me too.

Ill try to listen to them when they are in the cage/with a clean pair of smoke-free clothes on and see how they do.

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

I don't believe in giving antibiotics if there's no reason to. Some vets seem to prescribe them just to placate the owner. However, if you've started, you'll need to finish it out.

There's a very good list here on this website of veggies and fruits. Check out the nutrition forum.

User Tag List