Thread: Getting a New Pig... Baby or Adult?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Talking Getting a New Pig... Baby or Adult?

Hi everyone. So about 6 months or so ago I got my first two pigs. When I found out one was a female, I put her up for adoption, as much as it killed me. Long story short, Shadow and I are doing great and I think I'm ready for another pig. I've talked it over with my mom and she has warmed up to the idea as well. Obviously, I'm looking for a male and I was wondering if it was better to get a baby or an adult? I'd be checking on the spot to make sure the gender is correct so I don't go through another heartbreak. If you need more information on Shadow you can go to my Blog. At the moment he's in a large storebought cage, but I'm thinking of switching him to a C&C, even though they are a lot more work. I'm really, really excited and I'm hoping this will be a positive impact on both me and Shadow!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Getting a New Pig... Baby or Adult?

.... Bump ....

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner bguardguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

What is the age of shadow? That would be helpful in giving an answer I believe. Also, I honestly think that having a C&C cage is a lot less work than the traditional cage. There is much more room, so the daily cleanup might be a little longer but honestly would you not be changing the litter in the pet store cage more often in the long run?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

@bguardguy Shadow is about 8 months old now. The only reason I think fleece is more difficult is you have to change the doggie pad or whatever you have to soak the urine under the fleece once a day or every other day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

You can just use two layers of towels I believe and those can be replaced with new ones and thrown in the washing machine. Much cheaper in the long run than all the wood chips or carefresh being thrown away. Honestly though, if the size of your pet store cage is anything like most it should probably be partially changed at least every other day as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Two layers of towels, that's a new one. Surely it would reduce the cost to little to nothing, and would even be cheaper than carefresh. Right now I'm changing the cage every 3 or 4 days.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

The only thing is, last time I used a C&C cage I did set it up horribly wrong. The structure was good, great even. It had a large loft and the lower level was huge, perfect for running laps. I only used towels, but I didn't really know how to set them up- Shadow usually poops in the corners, and it would slip out of the rungs and onto the floor. Any suggestions? At first I was pinning up the edges of the towel so it wouldn't fall, but each time I washed it, it would take another hour to pin it back up. It was also really difficult with the loft.

Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Yuh. With my fleece I am using two towels and then a layer of fleece. I just found some towels on sale really cheap at Target during all the leading up to Christmas sales. I got four for about three dollars a piece. I also got fleece from the fabric store and a couple of cheap fleece blankets. My Old Navy has some on clearance for 4.98 right now. That way I can have fleece and two layers of towels and enough spare to switch out. When I am ready to clean his cage I just take all three layers out and spot clean the coro if there are any urine spots etc. Then I take the fleece and towels outside and shake them off and throw them in the wash.

Thanks
    Thanks
    129 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Did you not score your coro at all so that the edges would fold up? That makes a pretty much waterproof barrier that keeps out pee and pooplets from slipping through the grids.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Can't say I did. Still confused as to how to get it to stay put, especially in the loft

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I did not have enough coro for the ends, but I had bought plastic cake pan size containers at the $1 store and just put those in the corners with a cloth towel on the bottom, paper towel, and a little hay, and my piggie loves to jump in there and go. I can take out the paper towel and trash it a couple of times a day. I also do this with cardboard boxes. I just line the box with a plastic shoe box lid, also from the $1 store... Great store for picking up cage items! I think Cooper likes it better then his actual corner litterbox. And I use the lids for 'mats' under his food and water bowls. One of the lids I used for a floor on the second story - paper punched a hole in it and put a zip tie through it and the wire grid so it wouldn't move.

12. "Thank you, TiaColleen, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List