Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Dragonfruit?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Can guinea pigs eat the skin of the dragonfruit?

I don't know if they could eat the flesh because of all the seeds, although they are really small so I couldn't see a guinea pig choking on them.

I'm just asking because I love dragonfruit and have it growing in my backyard, but as I can't eat the skin I want to know if my piggies can. If they can eat the flesh is the red or white flesh variety better for them? (not as though I would want to share :mischievo)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I don't know. What are dragon fruit like? Are they related to pomegranates or watermelons or something like that?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The dragonfruit is the fruit of a cactus, so no it isn't related to pomegranates. They have flesh that is firm but soft like a very ripe melon, with seeds about the size of strawberry seeds all throughout the flesh (literally hundreds of them in one fruit). The cactus they grow from is native to south america.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Dragonfruit is awesome but as it being safe for piggies, I don't know to be honest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.