Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello all. My name is B and I currently have one guinea pig that I purchased from a pet store in town. I really wanted to adopt but could not find any near me and fell in love with this little guy while looking for pre-purchase supplies. Turns out I had to have him. Anyways. Just wanted to post an introduction and say hi! If you have any questions about me or my new piggy feel free to ask. I have one question but I am going to post it in the forum in hopefully what I assume is the right place.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
same happend to me with my bunny, i went there to get supplies for the bunny i was going to adopt then i saw that little guy... i had to have him and it turns out him and his little friend are my best friends

Welcome to the forum, im pretty new myself but if you have any question i may be able to help :D also, you should post a pic of your piggies

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I think I stalked you backwards here, lol!

Hi and welcome :)

We'd love to see a picture of your little guy! And what's his name?

Before it gets brought up, please have a look around the site and especially read about the social aspects and cage size dimensions to make sure you get off to the best start possible with your little guy. Piggies are social creatures that do best in pairs (or more). Lots of great info here, and if you have any questions, that's what we're here for!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Just uploaded a pic of him for my profile pic. His name is Tobias. Not sure on the exact age, but he is small and pretty young. Also, I currently have him in a 3X2 (currently in the process of upgrading as I just got more grids) and the only reason he doesn't have a friend yet is because he was scared of the one in the cage with him when I bought him, and have tried contacting the local guinea pig rescue shelter in my area and have yet to get a reply. Do you think it is detrimental to his health for him to be alone for more than a few weeks as I try to find him another friend?

Tobias.jpg

Here is a picture of Tobias when I first brought him home as I was getting everything set up in his cage. Don't worry. The rubbermaid tub in the background is what I carried him home in cause I did not want him to be in that cramped little cardboard box and wanted him to have access to food and water as well.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I think it's great that you are planning to upgrade the size of the cage. For two pigs, especially for two males, the bigger the better. As long as you are upgrading, a 2X5 would be great for two males. It's awesome that you are looking for a friend to adopt. No, your pig should be fine on his own for a few weeks until you can find a male pig to adopt to keep him company.

A couple of things to try, if you haven't already: petfinder.com. Many people think there are no shelters or rescues with guinea pigs around them until they check petfinder. Also, call around to your local shelters and ask to be put on a call list for when they get male guinea pigs.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh, adorable!

Sounds like you've got everything under control then.

@CavyMama has some good advice about the shelters and Petfinder is a great place to look. If you need any help, just put out a Cavvy Distress Call, and we'll be happy to see if we can't find that cutie a playmate!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Yeah the cage is actually a decent size for a solo, but I couldn't do that to him. All my pets I get in pairs. Always have always will.

I have already tried petfinder. Aside from the one local area I think the next closest is over a hundred fifty miles away? I honestly can not remember for sure. I am giving the rescue shelters that I have contacted a few more days since it is the weekend, and if I still have not heard from them I will probably break down and buy one from the pet store.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Yeah the cage is actually a decent size for a solo, but I couldn't do that to him. All my pets I get in pairs. Always have always will.

I have already tried petfinder. Aside from the one local area I think the next closest is over a hundred fifty miles away? I honestly can not remember for sure. I am giving the rescue shelters that I have contacted a few more days since it is the weekend, and if I still have not heard from them I will probably break down and buy one from the pet store.

Have you tried contacting this guinea pig rescue?
https://www.facebook.com/KnoxGuineaPigRescue

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Yeah I have tried contacting them twice. Also, on their actual linked page on petfinder the last instance of an update was on February 6, 2012. The second closest listing for guinea pigs is almost 175 miles away and out of state. I rechecked just now just in case. Like I said, I did try to do my research before hand and had planned on adopting but fell in love with this little guy. I feel bad for getting him at a pet store because I have always tried to adopt from shelters or humane societies every time in the past. The only time I have ever felt comfortable with purchasing pets from a pet store is fish (hard to adopt fish) and feeder mice ( To keep as pets instead of snake food). Thanks for the link though.

Aleks

Cavy Slave

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Yea that's where I started looking lol. That's why I said to go find him lurking behind the cilantro! You may have to bring pitchforks and torches and bust your way in to the rescue, but Rory looks like he needs a little Tobias love!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Actually, I know Rory! He is a set up at a local agri feed supply store in town. I may be new to the town I live in, but def. did some research! Like Aleks said though, I tried contacting the person over that rescue already twice. I also thought that it might be a good thing to start a donation for them for supplies, but don't want to do anything in their name without contacting them first. Apparently, my job ( crack cocaine coffee for the masses ) wants us involved in the community and our store isn't really doing anything. I thought it would be a great project for our team that I could lead that would potentially be a gateway for not only them but myself to move up in the company as well.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
You may have to bring pitchforks and torches and bust your way in to the rescue, but Rory looks like he needs a little Tobias love!

All of your answers lie here! That is all

ETA: Ooooh coffee...that is all

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
How about I bring carrots and broccoli and bribe my way in instead? lol

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
How about I bring carrots and broccoli and bribe my way in instead? lol

Oh sorry, I fell asleep, much to boring. Besides they can only have one baby carrot and broccoli causes gas, do you really want a rescue full of farting pigs?

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Touche' I will bribe the people at the gates of the rescue with coffee and espresso beverages! That should do the trick! Also, I have a legit question. Tobias loves the heck out of broccoli. Is gas the only negative side effect or does it do more harm than that. I can handle a gassy piglet for him to enjoy broccoli, but I don't want to give it to him to often if its causing problems. Right now I say he gets about one small floret every three days. I make him eat it in my arms or lap though because he is so messy with it. WHYYYYYY must he eat the stalk side first? It drops the flower part everywhere. Seriously Tobias... it would be so less messy if you would eat the flower part first.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
What about Craigslist? It's a great source of adoptable pigs.

And by the way, your piggie is a little cutie.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Thanks @mufasa ! Love the name btw. Hmm. Did not think about Craigslist. I will check now.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Status
Not open for further replies.