Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best pellets to buy?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

What are the best pellets to buy?

I usually buy zupreem, but now I read that it's not that great. Still, better than the Walmart brands right?

Is Oxbow good? I think I saw this at my local petsmart: Amazon.com: Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Adult Guinea Pig (Timothy Based), 5-Pound Bag: Pet Supplies
    which is good, I don't want to order my guinea pig's food.

What else?

Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Re: What are the best pellets to buy?

my piggies are in love with oxbow! you can look on their website and find places that carry it in your area

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Gforcepiggies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Oxbow from me! They are not too cheap, but not cheesy, and the pigs fell in love with first bite. I couldn't get them on another kind of pellet ever. I know they would simply refuse!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

When I adopted my second pig, they were feeding him some type of pellet with a mix of stuff in it(yucky!) , so when I got him home and gave him a bowl of Oxbow, he wouldn't stop eating it, he was in love.
    I do believe most of us here use Oxbow or KMS.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I got Kaytee Forti-Diet Guinea Pig Food just pellets I hope thats okay im a new parent as of today and store bought timothy hay but I getting small pet select hay on wednesday.

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

My pigs wouldn't touch Oxbow. They like KMS though.

7. "Thank you, mamattorney, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edcaguy View Post
    I got Kaytee Forti-Diet Guinea Pig Food just pellets I hope thats okay im a new parent as of today and store bought timothy hay but I getting small pet select hay on wednesday.
    Many new pig owners make the same mistake. Kaytee in general is very low quality. Petsmart usually sells Oxbow pellets called Cavy Cuisine (for adult pigs) or Cavy Performance (for younger pigs).

Otherwise, check out:
    Kleenmama's Hayloft: KMS Hayloft, Grass Hays & Fortified Feeds From the Valleys of the Pacific Northwest It has very high quality pellets and amazing fresh hay

Oxbow: Oxbow Animal Health | Home

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,550 Rec'd/1,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

There really is no "best" pellet.....just that some are better than others. There is a lesser-known brand called Blue Seal which is quite good quality and my cavies love it as well. I believe they also make rabbit pellets.

Blue Seal is often purchased in quantity by farm supply/feed stores and repackaged in 5 Lb. bags. I've been feeding them for well over a year.....my cavies like them and I certainly like the price.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    There really is no "best" pellet.....just that some are better than others. There is a lesser-known brand called Blue Seal which is quite good quality and my cavies love it as well. I believe they also make rabbit pellets.

Blue Seal is often purchased in quantity by farm supply/feed stores and repackaged in 5 Lb. bags. I've been feeding them for well over a year.....my cavies like them and I certainly like the price.
    We have Blue Seal around here, I'm a little leery about it as main choice as its an alfalfa based pellet and it can be pretty high in calcium I think it can range from .75%-1.25%, and the calcium carbonate is pretty high on the ingredients list. I'd really only ever get it if for some reason Timothy based ones where not available.

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Oh, yeah i knew there was another reason I didn't like Blue Seal, If I recall the ingredients found in blue seal Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product,Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles. are ones that should be avoided. But Im not 100% sure on that one.

Thanks
    Thanks
    380 Rec'd/274 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

My piggy LOVES Sweet Meadow pellets.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ellisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    387 Rec'd/297 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)

I've used Oxbow pellets and hay for almost 9 years without any problems. My pigs love their Oxbow pellets. Other popular choices are KMs and Sweet Meadow (both only available online).
    Last edited by ellisa; 02-02-13 at 06:24 pm. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    142 Rec'd/117 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_aperture View Post
    Oh, yeah i knew there was another reason I didn't like Blue Seal, If I recall the ingredients found in blue seal Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product,Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles. are ones that should be avoided. But Im not 100% sure on that one.
    I'm not sure of all those ingredients but the Lactobacillus Acidophilus I know is a probiotic.

I personally LOVE Sweet Meadow pellets and they are a great deal at a great price. I usually pay $56 for 50# and that includes shipping. If you're in the north east you may be able to find them local and should be fairly cheap. The 50 lb of pellets are only around $20ish it costs me another $30+ to ship it here in the midwest.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,550 Rec'd/1,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_aperture View Post
    Oh, yeah i knew there was another reason I didn't like Blue Seal, If I recall the ingredients found in blue seal Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product,Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles. are ones that should be avoided.
    Perhaps you should do a little research before rendering the opinion that the referenced ingredients "are ones that should be avoided". Or do you think that probiotics should be avoided by humans and cavies alike?

One simply is not going to find the best/perfect pellet. I have compiled quite a list of the more well-known pellets and the ingredients in them, and can find something objectionable in every one of them. I'm quite happy with Blue Seal and if they appear to cause any problem, then I certainly will not hesitate to switch brands.

In the end, it behooves each of us to do careful research and make the best decision we can at the time.

16. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,550 Rec'd/1,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAngel View Post
    I usually pay $56 for 50# and that includes shipping. If you're in the north east you may be able to find them local and should be fairly cheap. The 50 lb of pellets are only around $20ish it costs me another $30+ to ship it here in the midwest.
    I pay less than that for Blue Seal, but Sweet Meadow sounds like a good deal for you. How do you store 50lb to keep them fresh?

Thanks
    Thanks
    380 Rec'd/274 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

I pay less than that for Blue Seal, but Sweet Meadow sounds like a good deal for you. How do you store 50lb to keep them fresh?
    Wait, pellets can spoil? Seriously? I also have a 50lbs bag of Sweet Meadow pellets and I just keep them in my room. How do you know if they've spoiled? Oh my gosh, I've never even heard of that until now!

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Perhaps you should do a little research before rendering the opinion that the referenced ingredients "are ones that should be avoided". Or do you think that probiotics should be avoided by humans and cavies alike?

One simply is not going to find the best/perfect pellet. I have compiled quite a list of the more well-known pellets and the ingredients in them, and can find something objectionable in every one of them. I'm quite happy with Blue Seal and if they appear to cause any problem, then I certainly will not hesitate to switch brands.

In the end, it behooves each of us to do careful research and make the best decision we can at the time.
    I also said I wasn't 100% sure.... They just sound familiar as things I read a while ago as things to avoid. Im well aware of the probiotics in them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    142 Rec'd/117 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

I store them in airtight buckets in my closet where it is cool and dark. The buckets I am using now used to hold cat litter so they are fairly big. I've never really heard if Blue Seal before.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    142 Rec'd/117 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

I just looked up Blue Seal pellets and personally I wouldn't feed them. They have a really high protein content (20%), even higher than other alfalfa based pellets(18%) and timothy pellets (14%). And I just am not a fan of alfalfa anything for any of my adult animals and this line in the Blue Seal product description disturbs me "With Guinea Pig Pels, it is not necessary to feed greens or fruit.". I would not buy a brand that states things like this.

@Aleks the pellets don't necessarily spoil but the vitamin c degrades over time when exposed to light and air

Section Moderator CanadianComforts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    292 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

I store large amounts of pellets in my deep freezer, it makes sure the Vit C stays fresh and doesn't degrade.

User Tag List