Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Help! We are bleeding!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Wow, this sounds just like what's going on with my Quinn. I noticed sporadic blood and thought she cut her mouth chewing her willow hut. No big changes in behavior, just like your Daisy. The vet diagnosed UTI based on urine sample and palpitation. I was a little nervous about not getting an x-ray but she seemed confident that it was an infection because of bacteria in the urine. How's your Daisy doing? Quinn just started the meds yesterday. Here's hoping your girl is doing well.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Wow, this sounds just like what's going on with my Quinn. I noticed sporadic blood and thought she cut her mouth chewing her willow hut. No big changes in behavior, just like your Daisy. The vet diagnosed UTI based on urine sample and palpitation. I was a little nervous about not getting an x-ray but she seemed confident that it was an infection because of bacteria in the urine. How's your Daisy doing? Quinn just started the meds yesterday. Here's hoping your girl is doing well.

As of this morning Daisy has no blood in her urine that is visible to the naked eye. She has half her antibiotic treatment left. I'm thrilled! I'm just hoping that she'll put up with me giving her the meds for another 5 days LOL. She seems much much better. I make her pee in a separate liter pan. Twice a day I put a paper towel in it (white) so she'll pee on that and give me an idea how she is doing. While, I SWEAR, she rolls her eyes at me when I set her on the paper towel - she goes for me. ;0)

However, her newest trick makes me laugh every time I give her the meds. She will now open wide and take the syringe like a good little girl. She'll then clamp down hard with her teeth on the syringe right away - jerk her head backwards so it comes out of my hands then she tosses it over her head onto my lap - EVERY TIME! I even know it is coming and I can't keep a hold of it! Then I'll reach down, get it, look at her and she'll take it. I think she is just making a statement - "Mommy, this tastes YUCKY! But because I love you, I'll take it anyway!"

Oh how I love my girls!

Mufasa - I hope your Quinn gets better quickly! How are you able to tell there is blood in the urine? I was lucky enough to have a fleece down with a white background - that's how I could see it.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Aww, that's so cute how Daisy gives her opinion. Quinn is on white fabric bedding so it's easy to monitor her pee color. The bleeding was sporadic, and so far none today, although it's only day two of the meds. Glad to hear your girl is doing so well.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Aww, that's so cute how Daisy gives her opinion. Quinn is on white fabric bedding so it's easy to monitor her pee color. The bleeding was sporadic, and so far none today, although it's only day two of the meds. Glad to hear your girl is doing so well.

Oh my Daisy is QUITE opinionated! LOL

It took us a good 5 days (10 doses) for her to get this far. So I hope you are on the right track and you just need a little more time! Good luck!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Maybe I need to learn not to post on here. I am a VERY GOOD piglet mommy - better than a lot of people I know. I spend hours with them, spoil them, love them and care for them just like they were my own children - actually they ARE my children.

But every time I post a question on here I feel that I am being scolded. I do everything I'm told to do - go to the vet, do this, try that - and still SOMEONE "scolds" me. It's kind of not nice. Maybe I need to learn my lesson this time and not post on here anymore. Which really is a shame because there is a lot of collective knowledge here. I guess I can just stick with the other forums I'm on.

I believe you are referring to my comment about it being a bladder stone?

Many, many people check out this forum. Many of these posts show up on an internet search. As a moderator I need to make sure the information is correct.

As for the antibiotic making the pig sleepy, it would be very unusual, but depends of course on the antibiotic. What if someone had a sick guinea pig that was on antibiotics, and was very lethargic? They may think "oh, that's normal" when in actuality it is not very common. Something seriously wrong could be going on that needs immediate vet attention.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I do want to state that some guinea pigs can develop kidney stones, but they are very, very rare.

mommyPetlover

Cavy Slave
Hi. I have been lurking for a few days as we have recently adopted 2 pigs that quickly came down with URI. Plus looking at fleece bedding, cages etc. Haven't been around pigs for 32 years LOL. But I felt the need to register and post because....

I completely recognize your need as a moderator to manage the information posted to this board. However, I would argue that the original poster wasn't put off by your information but rather, by the way you phrased it. If you are to be a moderator of a board, you really should be careful, not just of the information you post, but also in how you post it.

A better way of responding to this forum member would have been to say something like: " So sorry for your pigs troubles. You have obviously taken good care of them and are following through with the vet. Most pigs get bladder stones as kidney stones are very rare, so please make sure to question your vet about which kind of stones might be possible with your pigs. The care could be different and it may change how you proceed. Another question for your vet may be whether the antibiotic is making them drowsy or the illness...I haven't heard of an antibiotic making a pig drowsy. If it is the antibiotic, please let us know which one has that side effect...Many other people would be probably be happy to know :)"....signed board moderator and concerned pig owner....

Anyway, the tone did come off a bit judgmental to a newbie lurker and likely also came off that way to the original poster and other pig lovers. I appreciate the information but understand why people may be hesitant to post.

Will continue to lurk and soak in the valuable information these posters have to share. There really is good information and support here on these boards...think I just happened upon this particular thread.

mommyPetlover

MissJean

Cavy Slave
When I'm upset and worried about my animals, sometimes I read people's posts as rude when they weren't. The mods here generally don't have much of a "tone" in either direction. Sometimes I think they're secretly androids giving us valuable information. =P

Anyways, hope your baby is okay! Sounds like she's improving. Pigs can be such a hassle when giving meds! One of mine is a contortionist. He's more like a squirrel than a pig!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
MissJean is correct. I intentionally try to keep emotion out of my posts. I'm here to give correct information about guinea pigs, especially here in the medical section. I don't sugarcoat things.

I am sorry if you think my posts are judgmental just because I don't phrase them in a manner you like.

Oh wait, no, I'm not sorry.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
MissJean is correct. I intentionally try to keep emotion out of my posts. I'm here to give correct information about guinea pigs, especially here in the medical section. I don't sugarcoat things.

I am sorry if you think my posts are judgmental just because I don't phrase them in a manner you like.

Oh wait, no, I'm not sorry.

I have to say it was not a specific post on this question that I felt was very ugly. It is a large amount of posts, on a lot of different questions, that I'm seeing lately that are very mean. I don't think the comments and/or tones are necessary or acceptable.

I believe you are correct in being concerned for newbies that have questions and them getting the correct information - it is very important they are made to feel welcome, made to feel that they can ask questions and given the correct information. That is why I asked questions. Because I don't have the correct information! That is why I ask. If I knew everything - I wouldn't find it necessary to ask. But because I want what is best for my girls, I ask questions.

That said - I don't feel your actions match your words. If you are concerned for newbies maybe you should not treat one as poorly as you did above (Thank you MommyPetLover for your kind words and for trying to help, but apparently it is a lost cause). I am a moderator for a few other sites (nothing that has to do for the care of piggies - again, hence my questions) and I don't ever treat people that way.

I am very sorry if this comes across mean or ugly - Oh, Wait - NO I'M NOT!

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
I should also mention that I will need to confirm with my vet because I KNOW for a fact she said KIDNEY stones not bladder stones. I have never heard of bladder stones. I was only repeating what she told me. I will need to confirm that information with her.

Again - that is why I ask questions on this site. I don't like to be reprimanded for asking questions though. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know that my vet may have meant bladder stones not kidney stones when that is what she said - my husband confirmed that is what he heard as well.

MandaC76

Cavy Slave
I think you are an awesome mommy. Antibiotics can make you drowsy, and especially if the vet and the pharmacist told you they would, and she wants her mommy to be able to nap shows how good a mommy you are! I haven't had mine for long and they get into position when they want lap time. I think you are wonderful, and I want to keep hearing how Daisy Mae and how you both are doing!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
HDPigletMommy, I honestly don't see that my posts on this thread are harsh in any way. If you have an issue with the way things are run here at Guinea Pig Cages, why don't you start a thread in the Cavy Kitchen or Cavy Cafe? I would rather not take up space discussing your ideas of how a guinea pig site should be run here in the medical section.

Any other posts on this thread that do not pertain to the medical issue of the guinea pig concerned will be deleted or moved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.