Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Guinea pig with blood in urine

Hello, today I saw that my 3 and a half year old male guinea pig has been urinating blood, he squeeks while peeing.
    This is Urinary Tract Infection after I searched on google.
    My parents do not want to pay the vet fees and I believe secretly they want me to get rid of him.
    This situation breaks my heart especially when I see him squeeking in pain while peeing, I am looking for an inexpensive option to solving this, I know that there is Bactrim an antibiotic but I would need to pay the vet.
    Your help will be much appreciated by me and Leo (my guinea pig).

Thanks
    Thanks
    380 Rec'd/274 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig with blood in urine

There's this thing called Care Credit, it's basically like a credit card so you do have to pay it off, but if your vet accepts it then you can at least be able to pay it off a little at a time. Maybe your parents would be willing to do that?
    Healthcare and Medical Financing for Consumers | CareCredit™

Edit: I'm not sure how long it takes to be accepted though, so that might pose a problem as he needs to go to the vet asap.

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Go speak to the vet and explain the situation. Maybe the vet will be willing to let you work off the bill by assisting around the office? You could be her "intern" which would look good on your resume anyway! Just a thought... please keep us posted!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas3rd View Post
    Hello, today I saw that my 3 and a half year old male guinea pig has been urinating blood, he squeeks while peeing.
    This is Urinary Tract Infection after I searched on google.
    My parents do not want to pay the vet fees and I believe secretly they want me to get rid of him.
    This situation breaks my heart especially when I see him squeeking in pain while peeing, I am looking for an inexpensive option to solving this, I know that there is Bactrim an antibiotic but I would need to pay the vet.
    Your help will be much appreciated by me and Leo (my guinea pig).
    He definitely needs Baytril or Bactrim. My vet charged around 40$ for 4 weeks of Baytril, so I don't think it's that expensive to get just the antibiotic. The vet would likely bill somewhere in the range of 60$ for a visit though (they won't prescribe without seeing an animal.) I don't know how cash-strapped your parents are, but these costs seem relatively affordable unless a budget is super tight. The vet could potentially also want to do an x-ray to check for bladder stones, which would be an extra hundred something, but usually once they realize you're cost sensitive they'll just try an antibiotic first and see how he does.

If you're desperate to help him out, cranberries are supposed to be able to help with Urinary tract infections. I can't say it'll cure him, but at least you can feel like you're doing something until you can get him to a vet. If you can coax him into eating straight cranberry, give him one or two a day. DON'T give him cranberry juice unless it's UNsweetened--all the sugar in it wouldn't be good for him. I got my pigs to eat cranberries by mashing up one or two with another tiny piece of fruit and then mixing it with water. You should be able to find a bag of frozen cranberries in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Getting extra fluid in him would definitely help, although don't force him to drink it if he refuses.

That said, you almost definitely need the antibiotics, so do whatever you can do to get him to a vet. Any other family members willing to loan you money? Talk to the vet and see if there's something you can work out per the others suggestions.

Good luck to you and your pig!

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

It could be a UTI, or it could be a a stone which may require an x-ray & surgery.
    Regardless, this pig will need vet care now as he's suffering & needs both treatment & pain relief.
    Many vets are willing to set up payment plans, but if you can't provide your pig with vet care, please surrender him to a good rescue.
    Vet care is expensive & comes with all animals, never own animals if you can't provide them with vet care when needed.

UTI & stone info:
    http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html
    http://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCavy View Post
    He definitely needs Baytril or Bactrim. My vet charged around 40$ for 4 weeks of Baytril, so I don't think it's that expensive to get just the antibiotic. The vet would likely bill somewhere in the range of 60$ for a visit though (they won't prescribe without seeing an animal.) I don't know how cash-strapped your parents are, but these costs seem relatively affordable unless a budget is super tight. The vet could potentially also want to do an x-ray to check for bladder stones, which would be an extra hundred something, but usually once they realize you're cost sensitive they'll just try an antibiotic first and see how he does.

If you're desperate to help him out, cranberries are supposed to be able to help with Urinary tract infections. I can't say it'll cure him, but at least you can feel like you're doing something until you can get him to a vet. If you can coax him into eating straight cranberry, give him one or two a day. DON'T give him cranberry juice unless it's UNsweetened--all the sugar in it wouldn't be good for him. I got my pigs to eat cranberries by mashing up one or two with another tiny piece of fruit and then mixing it with water. You should be able to find a bag of frozen cranberries in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Getting extra fluid in him would definitely help, although don't force him to drink it if he refuses.

That said, you almost definitely need the antibiotics, so do whatever you can do to get him to a vet. Any other family members willing to loan you money? Talk to the vet and see if there's something you can work out per the others suggestions.

Good luck to you and your pig!
    Cranberry juice will not help this pig, please don't give medical advice that may be harmful & encourage the OP to try alternative treatments.
    This pig needs a vet now.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MochaAndMoo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    458 Rec'd/301 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

When Mocha had bloat we were a bit tight on money, we just had a talk to the vet and she kindly lowered the price for us. Leo needs to see a vet. There is no way to treat him without seeing a vet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I am humbled by the responses that I have received regarding Leo.
    Thank you for your advice.
    After a close inspection on his private parts (nothing unusual) last night I washed Leo in the sink using Nizoral (anti bacterial soap).
    This morning I fed him a carrot (1 inch by .5 inch) and two hours later I gave him a slice of red pepper. For some reason the squeeking/ squeeling has not stopped but it is less intense than before.
    I think that the shower with Nizoral shampoo helped him.
    I am going to the store right now to buy cranberries (frozen).
    My closest animal hospitals that treats guinea pigs is 100 km away.
    I will keep you informed about his progress, for the past 8 hours I have been reading on google about his condition.
    Thank you again!
    Leo

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

He is suffering & in serious pain, and needs to see a vet now, pigs deteriorate quickly.
    It's also not fair to let him suffer, do whatever you need to do to get him the needed vet care he deserves.
    There's nothing you can do at home that will cure him or prevent him from getting worse.

And if you cant provide him with vet care, please surrender him to a rescue.

User Tag List