Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from the vet...tumors..euthanasia?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts

Just got back from the vet...tumors..euthanasia?

Gracie has been squeaking while she poops and the last couple days has had soft poop. I didn't like the feeling of her belly so I took her into the vet today. The vet palpated her abdomen and said she has tumors all through her. She said nothing can be done & I could euthanize her today or wait a few days. I said I would wait since other than the squeaking while pooping she is fine - eats normal, drinks normal, acts normal. I don't know what to do! If she's in pain I don't want her to suffer but I feel like she is happy otherwise! I am devastated. Is it horrible for me to keep her alive?? She said she is thin. She is normally pudgy. :( She isn't even 2 years old.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    71 Rec'd/52 Posts

Re: Just got back from the vet...tumors..euthanasia?

She knew that she had tumors just by palpating her stomach/abdomen? Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't there be other issues at hand that aren't tumors? I would think she would have requested an ultrasound to double check....

I don't know, I don't want to say you should put her her down as quickly as the vet did. I would definitely look at a second opinion and work on handfeeding till she's a healthy weight. This of course, unless she does have very poor quality of life.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    117 Rec'd/85 Posts

So sorry. I would have chosen the path you chose and would feed her all the food she loves and when she is no longer comfortable then I would return to the vet and hold her close. So sorry.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    54 Rec'd/43 Posts

I am so sorry :( I would love her up for a few days and get as much snuggle time as you can. I wouldn't wait until she gets really uncomfortable though. I recently lost a piggy to tumors and it was traumatic for me, and I'm sure her. If I had known I would have let her go peacefully (we didn't know until after she passed what was wrong). She started acting so sick, then started convulsing on the way to the vet, twitching and just laying there. She ended up passing on the vet table but it was slow and drawn out and horrible. Could the vet give you some pain meds to help make her time more comfortable?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    125 Rec'd/91 Posts

I don't think I would wait too long. I'd be afraid the squeaking while she poops is a sign that she's in pain. At the same time, I'd also seek a second opinion. In the meantime, I'd give her all her favorite foods and as much love and cuddle time as I could to make sure her last days are happy ones.

I'm so sorry you and she are going through this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts

Should I go to a different vet for a second opinion? Though the vet I go to is great for cats & dogs.. I'm not so sure they are great for exotics. I was a bit surprised she didn't mention anything about meds. I'm wondering if I should call a different vet about 45 mins away & ask them what they think.. (maybe a bit later today as I don't think I can talk on the phone at the moment).

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,560 Rec'd/6,042 Posts

If yours is a dog-and-cat vet, definitely go for a second opinion, but make sure it's a qualified exotics vet. She may have something as innocuous as ovarian cysts, and could easily be treated with surgery or hormones.

In general, taking a pig to a dog-and-cat vet is a waste of time and money -- they just don't get the education in veterinary school that they need, nor do they usually see enough exotics to pick up the needed information later.

8. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/19 Posts

I agree, just touching her and saying it is a tumor doesn't sound quite right. I'd take her for a second opinion and request an ultrasound. I do hope it's something treatable.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts

Thanks I agree I am going to call around and see, I will travel wherever I need to.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    125 Rec'd/91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jade_14 View Post
    Should I go to a different vet for a second opinion? Though the vet I go to is great for cats & dogs.. I'm not so sure they are great for exotics. I was a bit surprised she didn't mention anything about meds. I'm wondering if I should call a different vet about 45 mins away & ask them what they think.. (maybe a bit later today as I don't think I can talk on the phone at the moment).

I'd definitely go to a different vet at a different practice. Call around and find one who does guinea pigs specifically.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts

I called around and found what I hear is a good one, I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 10:20. I will update after that!

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,104 Rec'd/793 Posts

I hope she is going to be ok! When I read that the vet could feel lumps I was thinking maybe ovarian cysts or possibly backed up poo. I know you can feel when poo gets back up in rabbits as lumps.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/39 Posts

Hoping you get some better news! It would just be awful to lose her if you don't need to.

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner RodentsRus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    131 Rec'd/95 Posts

If she eating and acting normal and only seem in pain when she poops can't they put her on pain meds? Good luck with the Second opinion. We had a vet tell us that we should put down one of our guinea pigs after her sister (Sandy) because very sick.. We know we had no choice with Sandy but not seeing that Mandy was not as bad we chose to wait and see how she did. That was 3 years ago and to this day she is still running around.. She does have to have sub. injection 1 week because she has enlarged kidneys but that's has happened only since about 4 month ago..

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

I am glad you are getting a second opinion. Sqeaking while pooping can be a sign of bladder stones. I would certainly get an X-ray.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6,517 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

I definitely agree with getting an xray and a second opinion; however, if the vet is experienced with guinea pigs it's possible s/he could feel a tumor(s) on physical examination - I have had this happen (and it was confirmed with further diagnostic testing). Sadly, the pig didn't survive another week, and he was only about two and a half. I originally thought it was a bladder issue because of the crying when eliminating, but in his case it turned out to be a tumor that would have been operable but would also have returned over and over again and my decision was going to be let him live until he was clearly uncomfortable and then euthanize, but he didn't make it that long, even. The relatively young age of your pig makes tumors seem unlikely, though, and I definitely think getting in to see another (possibly more experienced?) vet is the best next step. Best of luck to you!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts

Thanks for all the advice! I am weary of the vet I went to because I know they don't specialize in exotics...I have also heard some not good opinions of her with some people I know who have rabbits. I worked at this particular vet for 6 weeks for a work practicum a couple summers ago and never that whole time did I see any animal other than a cat or a dog! Though I really like going to this vet with my dog I just didn't want to jump to conclusions & euthanize her on the spot when I didn't completely trust what she was saying. The vet I called specializes in Guinea Pigs, & seems to be the best around (I have to drive and hour and a half to get there but that is okay!). I have heard it is very expensive.. though I will obviously do whatever is necessary I hope it isn't toooo hard on the bank account! I just hope I get some answers tomorrow. I am prepared for the worst I just would like to know exactly what is going on!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    131 Rec'd/95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post
    I am glad you are getting a second opinion. Sqeaking while pooping can be a sign of bladder stones. I would certainly get an X-ray.
    You know that sounds just like what we went though with our Mandy. She squeaked when she peed. Did you ever see any blood in in it's cage? That's how we know something was wrong and took her right away to the vet.. They took an X-ray and she had a bladder stone and they had to remove it.. My poor
    girl..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    54 Rec'd/43 Posts

Do you have some white towels you can put down in her cage to check for blood spots in her pee?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    131 Rec'd/95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T_Licious View Post
    Do you have some white towels you can put down in her cage to check for blood spots in her pee?
    That's how we found the blood when Mandy peed.

User Tag List