Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bella and her new babies

plabol1

Cavy Slave
Pregnant and switching food problem

To make a long story short, we adopted a guinea pig from someone who purchased the piggie for their daughter from a local pet store. The daughter was allergic to the piggie and therefore couldn't keep him. Because I think it is cruel to keep just 1 piggie by himself, we adopted another 1 from another family who had to get rid of their little male. Like many other stories I've read on this site, we found out the hard way that "he" is really a "she". Needless to say, we will be expecting babies soon.

I have been reading as much information as possible (mostly from this site) about feeding and caring for them. We have built 2 C&C cages and set them up very nicely. I was feeding the Fiesta feed because that's what they came to me eating. After reading several posts, I know that is really junk. Therefore, I ordered Oxbow adult pellets for our boy and the Young pellets for the mommy to be. I also ordered oxbow hay. My problem is that the new food just came in and she doesn't seem to care for it. I also recently separated them because I believe it is getting closer to delivery day and I don't want another "accident".

She has not been eating much of anything, not her new healthy pellets or hay since I gave it to her (which was yesterday). I have been trying lots of different veggies, but can't get her to eat much of that. She was never fed veggies before I got her... So I'm trying to get her used to eating them. I don't know if she isn't eating because she doesn't like it, or if she is mad because she is no longer with her buddy, or she just feels BLAH for being close to delivery. I know how important eating is right now....so what should I do? I found and have taken her to a cavy friendly vet, who I LOVE! She said she is very healthy and we think she is about 8 months old. I'm hoping not any older! I have read up on what to expect during labor.

My question is....Should I go buy more of the JUNK food so at least she is eating....Should I put her back with her buddy? Or give it a little longer to see if she starts eating better. I have also noticed that she lays around much more since I changed her food and separated her from the male. She doesn't wheeeek as much when I give her hay (like she usually does). I'm trying to do what's best for her....but I'm afraid she isn't getting what she needs to have the energy she will need to deliver. Open for suggestions! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Re: Pregnant and switching food problem

I think she's most likely upset from being separated. Can you put the cages next to each other, so they can see and smell each other? But make sure the male is not able to get into her cage, obviously.

I wouldn't go back to the crap food.

What veggies/greens is she eating? Any at all? I've found that pigs usually love parsley and other leafy greens the best. You can also try some wheat grass.

plabol1

Cavy Slave

I'm going to redo the cages tomorrow so they are next to each other. The only way I could do it tonight is to put him in a store bought cage and set it next to hers. I hate to do that to him, now that he is used to the mansion. Would it be ok for one day? Or just leave them apart til I get the cage done?
She only eats a little bit of red lettuce and cucumbers. A couple of times she ate a piece of apple. But last night she wouldn't touch it. I will keep trying of course.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

He should be fine in the pet store cage for one night.

plabol1

Cavy Slave
The waiting is over! Bella had her babies!

We woke up this morning to 3 of the most adorable babies ever! And I'm not saying that because they are mine! (Isn't that what every new piggie owner says?) Bella is doing a great job at being a first time mommy. We missed the entire births. The babies were all dry and fluffy when we woke up around 7 this morning. There weren't any signs of babies at midnight. When we got up this morning the babies were all moving around and there wasn't a mess or anything! What a good mommy! We were blessed with what appears to be healthy babies and mommy. We were scared because Bella hadn't had babies before and we weren't exactly sure how old she is (guessing somewhere between 9 months and a year). Anyway, all is going well. I will post pictures this afternoon. I a also planning on weighing them this afternoon. We haven't done any sexing yet. I took a quick glance, but couldn't tell. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to at this time? How will I know if she is taking care of them all and letting all of them enough milk? I lowered the water bottle and made a "mini kitchen" just for them. The cage is baby proof.....Oh...1 more question...I'm afraid she is going to lay on 1 and squish it. She gets in her cozy pouch and 1 of the babies crawls in behind her. As she turns around to get cozy....she lays on the baby. I keep taking the baby out of the pouch, and "rescuing it..." I finally removed the pouch. But I'm nervous she will lay on one somewhere else in the cage. Should I worry about this? Is that something that happens often? Or am I just an over-protective grandma? LOL Wish us luck!

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
Re: The waiting is over! Bella had her babies!

Congratulations!!! We need baby pictures!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave

OMG! Thats so exiting! Keep us updated! And for the whole laying down thing, when my dog gave birth, she layed on the puppies all the time. The mom eventually learned to be careful. She was a first time mom too.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave

Congrats and I agree, baby photos are a must.

lovingmypiggies

Cavy Slave

Congrats! Funny how they delivered the same night... I can't wait to see pictures, and my Patty kind of climbs over/lays on the babies as well. I am also paranoid and over-protective. I literally had to force myself to leave them alone for a bit because I kept wanting to intervene. I think it's normal/ok. Have fun!

plabol1

Cavy Slave
We woke up this morning to 3 of the most adorable babies ever! And I'm not saying that because they are mine! (Isn't that what every new piggie owner says?) Bella is doing a great job at being a first time mommy. We missed the entire births. The babies were all dry and fluffy when we woke up around 7 this morning. There weren't any signs of babies at midnight. When we got up this morning the babies were all moving around and there wasn't a mess or anything! What a good mommy! We were blessed with what appears to be healthy babies and mommy. We were scared because Bella hadn't had babies before and we weren't exactly sure how old she is (guessing somewhere between 9 months and a year). Anyway, all is going well. . .I tried to sex them. I took a quick glance, but couldn't tell for sure. It looks like 2 girls an a boy. I will have to look later and see if i still agree with that. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to at this time? How will I know if she is taking care of them all and letting all of them enough milk? I lowered the water bottle and made a "mini kitchen" just for them. The cage is baby proof.....Oh...1 more question...I'm afraid she is going to lay on 1 and squish it. She gets in her cozy pouch and 1 of the babies crawls in behind her. As she turns around to get cozy....she lays on the baby. I keep taking the baby out of the pouch, and "rescuing it..." I finally removed the pouch. But I'm nervous she will lay on one somewhere else in the cage. Should I worry about this? Is that something that happens often? Or am I just an over-protective grandma? LOL Wish us luck! Here are some early photos. I will add some more later.

Having some issues inserting Picts from my IPad...any suggestions?

WE ARE ON LOVE!!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Keep all your posts on Bella and her new babies (in this medical section) on this thread.

I haven't heard of a mom squishing her babies.

plabol1

Cavy Slave
I don't know what happened (how this post got on a different thread). When I try to open this thread, I keep seeing other posts that I posted days ago???? I'm still trying to figure this all out ???? Sorry!

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
One of the moderators "merged" your threads into one thread.

plabol1

Cavy Slave
@soopermum62 Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm starting to figure this all out.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, in the medical sections we like to have all posts regarding a certain pig in the same thread.

plabol1

Cavy Slave
Let's see if the photos work this time. Here are Bella's new babies....born Saturday. We are in LOVE!
heads.jpgtails.jpg

ktatum

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness they are so precious!

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
Oh. My. Gosh. There is nothing cuter than a baby pig =]

WillowFields

Cavy Slave
So cute! They are so adorable! I am happy that all went well! Sounds like you are doing a great job!

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Oh my goooooodness! I love how they all have the same part in their hair :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.