Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Piggy not eating properly?

sofieguineapigs

Cavy Slave
So whats happening is one of my angels died on Friday 18th Jan, struck with heatstroke on a terribly hot day and it is completely my fault and I am so sad and angry at myself. But now my other angel, Maisy was also struck mildly and we saved her. But now she I think she may be traumarized and feels the loss of her friend. Now she is not eating properly.
Her veggies go untouched until after half an hour and she will usually eat the leafy greens and leve her favourite (carrots) out. She drinks a little, im not sure how much at night, and her hay looks like it hasnt been eaten much. Her pellets she nibbles at a little though. We provide her with grass (when take her out) and she pretty much ONLY EATS GRASS A LOT!
so yeah! She does produce waste though.
Can you please help me out?
And also, we are getting her a new companion so she doesnt get deppressed and die of loneliness.
And we will quarantine them so yup, no worries on that subject!
Thanks so much,
Sofie

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Sorry have no idea how to help you. Please post on guinealynx in the medical forum for help. Tho this sounds like this piggy needs to be handfed/forcefed water, critical care and grass can be substituted for hay if you work up to larger amounts slowly.

Please consider bringing your piggies in your house where they should be. A room that is not directly in the sun with air conditioning is preferred. They are more susceptible to heat than to cold!

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. If your parents won't let you bring them inside (you said that was the case in another post, if that has changed ignore this) I have to say that I think you should rehome them. It is WAY too hot for them to be outside right now, it's just cruel to keep them outside.

She is most likely not eating because she is feeling ill due to the high heat. Did you take her to a vet after the other died? Heat stroke is very serious. You need to be forcing liquids if she isn't drinking on her own, same with food.

It's just not safe for her to live outside. She needs to come inside or there is a very high chance of her dying from heat stroke.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
If you keep your pigs inside (which you should be), can you put an air conditioner in? Or what I saw someone do was put the hard plastic lunch ice packs on top of a pigloo and that helped keep the pigloo's cool.

If you're keeping your pigs outside, you really, really need to bring them in or rehome them. It's unacceptable to have guinea pigs outside.

sofieguineapigs

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. If your parents won't let you bring them inside (you said that was the case in another post, if that has changed ignore this) I have to say that I think you should rehome them. It is WAY too hot for them to be outside right now, it's just cruel to keep them outside.

She is most likely not eating because she is feeling ill due to the high heat. Did you take her to a vet after the other died? Heat stroke is very serious. You need to be forcing liquids if she isn't drinking on her own, same with food.

It's just not safe for her to live outside. She needs to come inside or there is a very high chance of her dying from heat stroke.

We just bought a syringe so we can force her to drink. She does drink on her own though, and right now and yesterday the days have been cooler, i am in Australia.
So yup. How do i force feed?

sofieguineapigs

Cavy Slave
Oh and also, my parents allow them being inside when its hot that dy with airconditioning on (if we know itll be hot the next day, we bring them in the whole day, with a boundary around where they run.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.