Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Can Guinea Pigs Eat Paper Towel Tubes?

Excited

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Honey has unlimited timothy hay and limited pellets. When I first got a C&C cage and put fleece in it I was afraid she was going to eat it so I put half of a paper towel tube inside her cage. She loved it! She ate it though, not just nibbiling and me finding little pieces everywhere. I have the cavy cafe as a litter box and my fleece isnt long enough to cover the whole cage so I just put the litter box where the fleece doesnt reach. Well today I ran out of bedding to put into the litter box and had to put a towel their instead. So I come back later and see her chewing on the fleece (she normally doesn't do that because their is no loose fleece ends besides their). So I just put another paper towel roll thing in and she started eating that instead of my fleece.

So, can they eat paper towel rolls? (not the actual paper towels, just the cardboard roll.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Someone asked this question about toilet paper rolls a couple of years ago. One of the large toilet paper manufacturers responded to a question about it and said that their glue and cardboard were absolutely not processed in conditions that allowed their products to be considered edible, and they wouldn't recommend it. However, a lot of people let their pigs chew on the rolls, so I don't really know how dangerous they are.

I feed my pigs on paper plates (the plain cardboard kind, without a plastic coating). And while I don't leave them in there long enough to be fully eaten, they do chomp on them quite a bit, and if I happen to forget, I'm apt to come back to small shreds of a paper plate. I'm less concerned about that than I would be about the towel and toilet paper rolls, though, because the plates are designed to be eaten off of, if not outright eaten!

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I like to stuff toilet paper tubes with hay. They nibble a bit on the tubes but don't really eat them, probably because they're busy with the hay.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I stuffed some hay in one the other day after reading some post from here. Their poop started looking different so I immediately took them out and everything is back to normal. So, I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Little One

Cavy Slave
I give toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls to my guinea pigs and chinchilas every once and awhile to chew on, and never had a problem. The guinea pigs love pushing them around with their noses, and then eatting them lol. I like the paper plates idea, maybe I'll switch to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.