Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Getting a 2nd pig?

crose136

Cavy Slave
Hey I am trying to tame my piggy I've had since march of 2012 hes almost a year old and I know he doesn't get along with other pigs that much, my friends pig is the same age and they get along but I am after my own 2nd.
I have one in mind and hes 4-6 weeks old and healthy.
Since my boy is older would it be better to get this younger guy for him to be friends so then its easier or is it better to get one the same age.
I've researched but still unsure and would love to know. Hes usually friendly but hes skittish and even though he seems happy I recon hes lonely, his new large cage could do with the extra roommate.
Any help would be lovely - only thing I need to do is convince my dad, mums on board already.

3cpiggies

Cavy Slave
People usually go for the younger guinea pig, but personality is also very important. If you know the personality of the guinea pig you are interested then you could make a more informed decision. Difficulties usually occur when there are two dominant guinea pigs and they don't give up on being dominant. Also the little one will go through puberty and this could change things as well and they could start fighting in the future.

Your guinea pig might have a more dominant personality so looking for a more submissive guinea pig would be smart. I know some rescues do meet and greets where they have your current piggy meet compatible guinea pigs. If you call and explain that you have a lone guinea pig and you are looking for a companion, then they will most likely do their best to accommodate you. This would be ideal and potentially a better chance of succeeding.

crose136

Cavy Slave
Thanks I am planning on meeting up with the person if my parents agree and hope to see how the piggies get along in neutral territory, my boy likes to be in charge as far as I've seen with my friends pig and hope that the smaller baby would be best, there are a few options with the person I'm hoping to buy from and hopefully one of the 3 baby boys is more submissive then my Piggy.

M

Millie Pig

I have just got my 2nd Guinea Pig and it is younger than my first one.It is very sweet and i give it lots of cuddles everyday but it doesn't eat very much.When i go for walks i get dandelion leaves and grass.But i have this problem that whenever i cuddle her she just pretends to play dead but i don't know why??? Will this get better in time. She is 7 weeks old.

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
I know a lot of people do meet and greets but I'm skeptical of them. Even if they get along, and in most cases they do, you do have to keep in mind things could go south at any point. Most ones I've seen have people say they have theirs for a few weeks and then bam, fighting to the point of separation. I have two pigs who were introduced, one 2yrs and the other around 4 or 5 mo. at the time, who got on great! In fact the younger one ignored his "brother" who had been with him since birth almost in favor of this older pig. The younger one was even the boss and the older didn't mind. Fast forward to around six months later, suddenly they are not friends anymore, even with lots of room. No reason why, just suddenly the older of the two attacks for no reason. They are now separated with a barrier, the older being alone for the time being. People seem to have more success with younger/older pairs, so I wouldn't worry about that. But just be aware you can never guarantee that they will always get along. And don't ignore obvious signs of serious fighting just because they have been fine for months. I promise you, it will save you a lot of headache. Not to say you shouldn't get a second, I definitely think you should. I just know I made the mistake of ignoring some obvious fighting signs, and some people do seem to think (like I did) that once they settle down after intros it is clean sailing from there.

[MENTION=26274]Millie Pig[/MENTION] - I would be cautious of feeding her things your picking up outside during walks. Bugs, pollution, and animal waste can make it not safe. You can grow wheat grass in your home, and depending on where you live you might be able to find dandelion leaves in stores. She is probably very scared and shy since she is new and young, but she might just be a scared little piggy. Some never warm up. My Bear took over six months to finally relax with me, and he is over 2yrs old. They are like people, very very different.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks I am planning on meeting up with the person if my parents agree and hope to see how the piggies get along in neutral territory, my boy likes to be in charge as far as I've seen with my friends pig and hope that the smaller baby would be best, there are a few options with the person I'm hoping to buy from and hopefully one of the 3 baby boys is more submissive then my Piggy.

How come they have so many baby boys?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How big is his cage?

crose136

Cavy Slave
His cage is 40" or so by 30" or so - haven't measure completely as my dad made it while I was at my mothers - the woman sold all her piggies without realising I had sceduled to meet up and have a look at them - she had a piggy who had a litter of 3 boys and 2 girls so was going to take a look - going to keep looking around - avoiding pet shops, hoping that theres a rescue around that has some piggies up for adoption

KatrinaJayne

Cavy Slave
I was in the same position with my girl, she's about a year and a bit old, and I wanted to get her a friend. My dad took a lot of convincing, but then he said yes. I knew my friend had two girls she wanted to get rid of, as she is working constantly on call, she doesn't have time to take care and give them the attention like I would be able too. So I asked her and she said yes. Knowing Lily was skittish and very scared about anything when she first came home with us, it took her a while to get settled in, so we thought if we did the same with these two guinea pigs, they should get along? So we brought these two home with us and they were very scared and still are... We put the run down with it sectioned off, and put Lily in one side and these other two girls in the other side. They were sniffing and chattering and I thought that was good and normal considering Lily hasn't ever been with another guinea pig... But then the littlest one started chattering and lunging towards Lily, so she started doing the same and they do that every time they meet. So they have had to stay separated from now on, but even having them in separated cages. It gives Lily and them company, and she enjoy's knowing there's other guinea pigs in the same room with her (Surprisingly as they both go for each other if their close enough!) But it is definitely worth it. I guess it just takes time! Oh and by the way the two new piggies, are older than Lily. (Now reading these other replies... Maybe if I got a younger pair, it might have been better for introducing them to live with Lily. But wouldnt change my mind now, as they needed a home and I felt like I should! <3 Good luck!

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
Try checking to see if the rescue will let you do a trial or bring your piggy for a playdate with the potential new pig. Make sure that you're very upfront with them and normally they're just looking for the perfect home for their pigs.

Good luck!

M

Millie Pig

Thank u for your advise,i think she is getting better with me.:eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.