Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Woke up to babies!

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I am new here but a long time guinea pig lover :) They are amazing pets to have for adults and children. We bought my little girl a guinea pig about 2 1/2 months ago...apparently she was pregnant! We woke up this morning to two new adorable little piggies!! I'm not sure what all I need to do for the babies. Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :D

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Congrats! I would definately check the gender of them in a couple of weeks. And I would feed babies alfalfa just to get them all of the nutrients they need for a while. If you even suspect one or both of them might be males take them away from mom as soon as they are mature enough to breed and be weaned. Just make sure they are healty and they should be eating whatever mom is eating by now. They are born fully functioning! Make sure their eyes are clear and that there doesn't seem to be any liquid in their lungs. Any pics?

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Read up on how to sex a guinea pig on Guinea Lynx. You'll need to separate the males from females at 3 weeks, less you want another accident. You also need to baby proof your cage if you haven't already.
If you have a scale for your piggies, weigh them daily to make sure they are gaining weight at a normal pace.

Alfalfa hay and alfalfa based pellets are really good for nursing sows so pick up a bag of that, if you can.

What do you plan on doing with the pups? Keep them? Be sure to post pictures!

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Congrats.. How old is you little girl? How did you explain that one.. Went to bed with 1 pig and woke up to 2 others.. Cute.. She must be so happy. Would love to see pigture of all you guinea pigs

southernmess

Cavy Slave
I believe I have one boy (brown and white) and one girl (white). I am not positive yet...hopefully in a few days I will be able to tell more. We already have the hay and pellets. Some hay is the Timothy Hay..is that okay? The pellets are the alfalfa ones though. Unfortunately I don't have a scale that goes low enough to weigh them...but I will keep a very close eye on them and do measurements if needed to see that they are growing. My daughter is 3 1/2. She began to love guinea pigs when I had them as classroom pets a while back. After I stopped teaching she asked if she could have one of her own. I was more than happy to get one :) I am currently pregnant so it was actually really easy to explain to her because we have been explaining about mommy and her little sister for the past 7 months. She is very thrilled and has named the little guys already. My husband has fallen in love with the brown and white one. We plan on keeping them as long as they all get along. If it does turn out that we have one boy and a girl I will get him fixed. I soooo don't need more than three lol Oh and no worries they don't live in that little bucket! I had them in there while I cleaned her cage. My husband is actually about to build an even larger cage for them seeing as there are now three!
l IMG_20130112_091525.jpgIMG_20130112_145227.jpg

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So cute.. What did she name the baby?

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Moms name is Sarafina (from a barbie movie lol), Snoopy (white), Milkyway (brown and white)

QuietWonderLand

Cavy Slave
They are so adorable. ^_^. And I love the name for the mother that your daughter gave her! And the names for the babies too. ^_^.

southernmess

Cavy Slave
They are so adorable. ^_^. And I love the name for the mother that your daughter gave her! And the names for the babies too. ^_^.
Thanks :) She really loves her piggies and the mom has always been wonderful with her. She is one of the calmest piggies I have ever seen. Rarely runs when you go to pick her up and will sit in anyone's lap and be loved on for hours if you will let her :)

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Aw, they're so adorable! I'm glad to see they all look healthy so far. Is the white pup completely white? I'm even more excited to hear that you're already planning a new cage for them.

Timothy hay is fine if that's all you have for now. It won't hurt them or anything. Alfalfa is just recommended since its higher in protein, carbohydrates, and calcium.

• [*=left]"Growing guinea pigs. For the first few months of a guinea pig’s life he requires a huge amount of energy to grow. Alfalfa hay (and pellets) provide him with this extra protein and calorie source.
    [*=left]Pregnant and nursing mothers. Not only when pregnant and her young are forming internally, but also for the guinea pig to provide the essential milk to feed her babies."

I've never been in your situation before so I just did a little research to try and help out. Best of luck! :)

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Aw, they're so adorable! I'm glad to see they all look healthy so far. Is the white pup completely white? I'm even more excited to hear that you're already planning a new cage for them.

Timothy hay is fine if that's all you have for now. It won't hurt them or anything. Alfalfa is just recommended since its higher in protein, carbohydrates, and calcium.

• [*=left]"Growing guinea pigs. For the first few months of a guinea pig’s life he requires a huge amount of energy to grow. Alfalfa hay (and pellets) provide him with this extra protein and calorie source.
    [*=left]Pregnant and nursing mothers. Not only when pregnant and her young are forming internally, but also for the guinea pig to provide the essential milk to feed her babies."

I've never been in your situation before so I just did a little research to try and help out. Best of luck! :)
Thanks! I greatly appreciate it! I have been doing research all day trying to find good information. Some sites vary in what they recommend and even at what age they can get pregnant...so I was a little unsure as to which sites to follow. When I had my classroom guinea pigs they were adults when I got them and we built a huge two story cage for them .I know piggies need exercise and a large cage is a good way to do it. We are also spending at least 30 minutes a day with them in a enclosed area so that they can interact with us and get exercise as well. It was soooo cool to hear them "wheeting" at each other as they ran around today. Sarafina has always been happy and active but seeing her with the babies was simply awesome! We had planned on getting her a friend as soon as we built a bigger cage...looks like now all we need to do is build the cage :)

The white pup is pure white. It is adorable! I haven't seen a pure white one before. They both have the spiral fur like their mom. Not sure what breed that is...

southernmess

Cavy Slave
All three piggies are doing really well today :) It amazes me that they seem to be a little bit bigger already! lol guess piggies grow fast!!
IMG_20130113_095843.jpg
Here is a close up of Snoopy. I was curious if anyone knew anything about why she has red eyes. None of the other piggies have them (their eyes are brown). Wasn't sure if this was normal or if it is something I should be concerned about. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Aw how cute! The red eyes are just a possible eye color with guinea pigs. The red eyes often accompany white or diluted fur colors. Congratulations on the new guinea pig herd and up coming human baby! lol

southernmess

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I thought it was just a possibility but wanted to be sure. I haven't seen a pure white guinea before so I wasn't sure. I'm so excited about the babies (mine included of course!) I just can't wait to see how they like their new cage once we get it made! My hubby probably wishes I wasn't preggo so I could do more lol

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My only concern with a white pig is the possibility of a lethal, but that one looks way normal.

Congrats on the babies! If one is a male you need to seperate at 3 weeks for sure, if not sooner, and keep them seperated until he is old enough to be neutered.

THey need unlimited timothy hay, and alfalfa based pellets. You can mix in some alfalfa hay, but it's really a legume and not a hay. You need a long strand hay for digestion and wearing down teeth. So if you chose to feed alfalfa, feed both alfalfa and timothy.

I would really encourage you to get a kitchen scale to weigh the babies and mom, I got mine for 10$ from walmart. It's really important to make sure the babies are gaining and moms weight is stable. And in the future, weighing them once a week is also a good indicator of illness. Because guinea pigs hide illness well, one of the first, and sometimes only signs, is weight loss.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think it would be a good idea to take a look at the little white one's teeth, to be sure he/she isn't a lethal white. Not to scare you or anything :eek:

southernmess

Cavy Slave
What does a lethal white mean?

southernmess

Cavy Slave
I just googled "lethal white" and I don't believe my little girl has any of those symptoms. She moves around as if she can see and I'm almost positive she is going potty. I will put her into a small cage of her own for a little bit and double check. She seems to be just fine :) Please let me know if there is anything I should look for specifically to be sure she doesn't have this please.

Lyndsy

Cavy Slave

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
if you look inside the mouth, check her teeth. If she has 4 straight front teeth, I wouldn't worry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.