Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits What do you think of my rabbit cage

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hello, everybody I would just like to share a photo of my bunny cage and see your opinions ( I do not own guinea pigs, i own bunnies but i still like pigs)

If you have any questions about my cage or any opinions or suggestions feel free to speak up, this is why i made this thread.

And please excuse my messy bedroom Photo on 2013-01-06 at 21.33.jpg
Heres the view.

and here are some happy munching bunnies ( my bunnies have lived happily for 2 years together, they are seperated now because one needs to get nueterd)
Photo on 2013-01-06 at 21.34.jpg

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's enough room. A single rabbit needs at least 40 sq ft or more of room to be able to run and jump around.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert on rabbits or guinea pigs but my cage for my two small guinea pigs is bigger than that. I can't imagine it would be fun to limited in space like that. I've seen some really nice outdoor bunny hutches that you could convert into a indoor arrangement very easily.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Way too small. I have had many rabbits in my life and I am afraid that is too small. That isn't enough room for 2 guinea pigs and definitely not enough for 2 rabbits as there isn't enough room for them to jump and run around in.

Last edited:

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Honestly? It's disgusting. That's smaller then what you should have for 1 GUINEA PIG! (it's seperated into a 2x2 for each bunny and a single pig should have at least at least a 2x3) It's FAR too small for a rabbit. They don't even look like they can move in there! They can't possibly be very happy. :( You said they lived together but now one has to get fixed. Were you breeding them?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Come to think of it, you have 1 rabbit in each 2x2 space. 2x2 is under the required space for 1 guinea pig, which are smaller than rabbits. I really really hope you make their cages ALOT bigger! They probably aren't very happy being cooped up like that :(

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can consider more of a pen set-up, rather than a cage. Clear out a nice chunk of your bedroom floor, lay down a plastic tarp/shower curtain, towels, then fleece. Seems like a cheap way to go.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Well, i just built this cage and i spend over 100$ and i dont want a new one, no i was not breeding them they are both boys.

I forgot to note that my bunnie sare both indoor and out door bunnies. The get too run around in our bathroom( our bathroom is very large) for about 4 hours everyday. And they have a 4feet by 7 feet shed filled with straw that they borrow in and a 18 feet by 20 feet outdoor run with a hutch.

My bunnies are in my room because winter here is wayy to cold for a bunny and they get out of the cage 3 + hours a day. They are in the shed during most of the spring and they come in on the weekends and in the summer they like to stay out on the grass for a night or two and then they come in on the weekends :)

I feel really bad that those were the only comments i got :( Its just i put so much effort into making that and finding the materials and i was proud, but now i feel like i screwed up :(

I cannot use an x-pen because jubejube jumps over those like nothing and he can still get out with a top on it.

i cannot make the cage any bigger because i am making my bed a loft bed and the cage was going to go under neath and it cannot if it was any bigger. :(

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
If you knew about C&C's how did you not know about the bunny requirements in the first place though?

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
But that's not even the size of a twin bed. So, what does making your bed a loft bed have to do with the size of the cage?

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I did know about the requirements :) I owned bunnies for 2 year and i got a job to make money to spend on them, Everytime a see somthing i think of bunnies, my book case is coverd in rabbit books and ive memorized over 130 breeds of rabbits off the top of my head :)

I knew the requirements its just that they are only in the house on weekends and throughout the winter ( even though they are not completely house rabbits i still spend hours with them outside and i train then to jump through hoops etc) I thought getting out for like 5 hours everday was pretty good, it must be diffrent for guinea pigs.

I quit school and i home school just to spend time with my bunneis so when they are outside i still spend loads of time ith them.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
But that's not even the size of a twin bed. So, what does making your bed a loft bed have to do with the size of the cage?

My walls are short so if i wanted to make the cage bigger the walls would have to be longer and i cant make my cage any thicker because my desk will be beside my bed

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Many people on this forum also don't support the mainly outside pets though..
They can't even stretch their legs out in that cage, and it bothers me to know that they spend most of their time in there even if it is winter.
I did know about the requirements :) I owned bunnies for 2 year and i got a job to make money to spend on them, Everytime a see somthing i think of bunnies, my book case is coverd in rabbit books and ive memorized over 130 breeds of rabbits off the top of my head :)

I knew the requirements its just that they are only in the house on weekends and throughout the winter ( even though they are not completely house rabbits i still spend hours with them outside and i train then to jump through hoops etc) I thought getting out for like 5 hours everday was pretty good, it must be diffrent for guinea pigs.

I quit school and i home school just to spend time with my bunneis so when they are outside i still spend loads of time ith them.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
If you can't get a hold of a tall pen, can't you litter train them and have them free range inside of your bedroom? You'd of course have to rabbit-proof it.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
They are in the shed during most of the spring and they come in on the weekends and in the summer they like to stay out on the grass for a night or two and then they come in on the weekends :)

Is the shed COMPLETELY predator proof? If not then they should not be staying out there unattended.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave

So, I'm a little puzzled in the first sentence you said you didn't know about the requirements then in the second paragraph you said and I quote" I knew the requirements its just that they are only in the house on weekends and throughout the winter" so exactly which is it?

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
:( Well Im not switching their living conditions to put them in my bedroom, they love it out on the gras and in the straw, they love it in my room too beause the love to jump onto my couch and watch t.v with me !!

I Think that being in a cage that is too small is better then staying in an un instalated shed in 40-c weather :(

I love my animals and it would be selfish to make them indoor pets for their life because they love it outside, and the cage is bigger then it looks apparently because they can strech all the way up and strech their legs.!!
The require emnts ive read said that a bunny cage must be at least four times the rabbits size and that cage sis 4 grids big and i let them out for 4 hours a day!! I will let them out more though now that i know that apparently their living conditions are digusting :( I put all my heart into my rabbits and i can't believe that the cage size is the only thing people are commenting on :(

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
It says did not didn't.
So, I'm a little puzzled in the first sentence you said you didn't know about the requirements then in the second paragraph you said and I quote" I knew the requirements its just that they are only in the house on weekends and throughout the winter" so exactly which is it?

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I said in the first paragraph that i "did" know the requirements read again:mad:

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yes or course the shed is completely predatore proof we costum made it for them, there are 2 plexi galls windows and then 1 window with a screen that CAN be broke open but behind the screen is wire mesh

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.